GreaseSpot Cafe

The stigma of mental illness

CoolWaters

Pond--------I agree with you that there are those who would benifit most from counselling. These people include those whose conditions are caused by a tangible problem with their situation such as poverty, loss of a loved one, etc. Counselling can often show these people methods to cope or even to actually change their situations. There are also those who are over medicated or incorrectly medicated. Medicine, despite popular belief, is really not as precise a science as we would like to believe. As to your statement that medications only treat the symptoms and not the cause I must disagree in part. Some problems that manifest themselves in the mental arena are caused by organic irregularities. These simply can not entirely be dealt with by virtue of counselling anymore than a diabetic could be counseled into producing the correct amount of insulin. As to the issue of testing, no doc. worth his/her salt would blindly prescribe such meds without proper medical testing. True, there is no test that definatively shows which chemical is lacking or abundant in the brain. There is likewise no test that will show exactly what went " haywire" in the brain for it to mis interpret how much insulin the body needs. If there were it would make treatment much more effective and less unpleasant. There is room for both approaches but knowing how to administer them is sometimes as much an art as it is a science.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

illness such as schizophrenia are ORGANIC they can today be very easily identified. not to say people are sometimes missed but it very very seldom happens with that disease because it is a very very old disease and it is organic.

we have a ready test for such "mental illness" that is conclusive.

I wrote this in another post you just didnt see it or something, some disease is still considered mental because the treatment involves professionals from another field but today it is not as much as a problem with the drugs they have to treat it.

they seek conseling to deal with the manner soiciety would deal with the problem not so much to change their thinking becuase they can not it is a physical problem that has been around for thousands of years and well well documented.

it is the same course of action for every one that has that disease.

great strides have come about with that disease. and it is a disease. like being diabetic or a heart condition. if you have an ORGANIC disease such as this it is sometimes given to the mental health professionals because it has to be monitored closely, due to the drugs involved and side effects and the nature of the disease and a regular MD would not know of current treatments as readily.

MOOD disorders are not biological or have not yet been proven to be so.

yet a md will give out what ever he has a sample of for you to try today if your feeling for it. honestly.

what with the rate meds are given today tho i wont doubt someday we will evolve our systems to accomadant the drugs so rampantly used today . and they will indeed find a link.

some organic issues within the brain are handled by mental health professionals tis true , the term mental health has a wide umbrella , dealing with the side effects dealing with a stigma or the disease itself is needed to maintain a quality of ife.

far more people have this isue than you would think, it is often diagnosed in the teens and they do live a very high quality of life without issue, they are monitored closely.

not so with mood disorder such as depression and anxiety your md who took a four hour course in sadness in med school will give you any candy that is new and improved and you most probably may never see a professional mental helath professionl much less be monitored.

the only elaboration concerning chemical imbalance(if that is what your referring to)

should always come from your medical professional...

...if your dr. tells you you need to take a pill for your sadness and calls it a chemical imbalance ask him for a measure ,show me the money!!!

Pond, it seems inconsistent to say only a medical professional can elaborate on chemical imbalance - then doubt when a doctor [medical professional] recommends a pill for chemical imbalance...Also, for as much as you have been elaborating on the subject brings me back to my other questions:

Are you a medical professional?

What firsthand experience do you have with medications?

Edited by T-Bone

Pawtucket, thanks for sharing the NPR link - some good stuff there! ...Also, I read a pretty informative book that gets into cognitive therapy and has a consumer's guide to antidepressant drugs: Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy by David D. Burns.

many recieving meds today and very powerful meds never even get any blood work done.

it goes like this

I feel sad worried

here take this.

next vist i still feel .... no metion your an alcoholic or have a drug history, or the fact somone important to you just died (in which case it is normal to feel sad and grieve) or your being beaten or your in a cult the list is endless.

ok try this and this .

such is the medical care given today.

i praise those willing to seek treatment from a mental health professional on an ongoing base and willing to make the needed changes in life to find peace and happiness, i wish everyone could be happy. I wish everyone had the courage to live healthy .

but with the onset of hmo's the fast pace of our life and the money hungry culture we have most just want a quick fix.

here take this if it doesnt work and your life still sucks we got plenty more where that came from.

as far as the chemical imbalance theory find one study Tbone just one that proves it is all about chemical imbalance. if it was truly a company would make that chemical and run with that money!! but sadly it just isnt.

I think many wish it was and is.

did you see the link pawtucket gave another theory on why so many many are sad and worried.. and it will continue it is big business.

no not a dr. but im not an idiot who buys into the current selling market of get happy quick in our drug dazed culture either.

Just to clarify. -----------Depression is not necssarily about " feeling sad". Depression manifests itself very differently in adults than it does in children. There are even more differences when discussing boys as opposed to girls. Two recommended books on understanding depression in children are : REAL BOYS by Wm. Pollack, Ph.D.(re: boys) and REVIVING OPHELIA by Mary Pipher,Ph.D.(re: girls) These not only show why a boy may display anger or a girl may lack self esteem, they offer insight into how to be a part of the solution.

Pond you are painting with broad strokes.

SOME doctors will throw medications at a problem without finding all the facts first. SOME do not. The first psychiatrist I took my son to wanted to put him on medications after spending 20 minutes with him. I walked out and never went back. The doctor he sees now got to know him and his history first. Got to know me, looked over information provided by teachers and other professionals who had worked with my son and observed my son. He is a doctor I will stick with. You will find the same problem exists among physicians who focus on the body and not the mind. So, you have to pick your doctor carefully.

Also, if you withhold information from your doctor, you cannot blame your doctor for misdiagnosing or mistreating an illness, physical or mental.

Likewise, SOME mood disorders may not be chemical but SOME ARE. Bipolar disorder, for example. That is a mood disorder. It is chemical and it is often hereditary. Counseling is an important part of treating Bipolar disorder, but counseling alone is not enough.

Because we are still in the early stages of understadning this disorder, as well as most mood disorders, and because we are still in the early stages of understanding the medications used to treat them, there is trial and error involved. But the same can be said of medications that treat physical illnesses as well. I can't take Penicilan, for example. I'm allergic to it. But it was only by trial that we discovered that. Likewise, I do not metabolise over the counter cold medicines very well, taking them often leaves me feeling spaced out for at least a good 24 hours - other people take it and are just fine. One of my son's cannot take sulfa based medications, again it was only by trial that we discovered that.

Heck, even what foods an individual can tolerate can come down to trial and error. Some people cannot tolerate milk, some are allergic to peanuts. How do we discover that? Trial and error.

my sister says the same thing ex.

it is all about the choices we make, sometimes the choices other made for us when we are to young to cope.

A mom who was in an abusive relationship has damaged her unborn child while still in the womb with the stress and fear of the circumstance she is caught up in... a child who has to witness a parent being abused or even very unhappy is changed from who he/ she really is these kids grow up to be damaged adults with very little coping skills.

the problems start in childhood But I truly believe as adults we can make our life happy as we make our own mind up , as ABE once said.

life is not a comfortable thing . it is an illusion to think it isnt icky and sticky and darn right painful.

to be happy takes alot of work .

I look at it this way, my goal is to get well, grow in wisdom, to learn how to make good choices, to live a quality life.

some see life as getting through this day .. or this drama , or this bad choice and chose to be medicated to do it. that is simply the goal no growth very little understanding and certain of little change in life other than a dose or supply.

as I said before it is a personal decision on what is best for each.

I also believe without a strong faith in God and His risen Son Jesus christ it may be impossible.

Some problems and some mental illnesses have nothing to do with upbringing, they are simply biological, genetic. My brother, sister, and I were all raised by the same parents. We are fairly close in age. That my sister ended up with bi-polar disorder is not a result of upbringing. That my sister needs to take medication, is not a result of weakness. In fact, one of the difficulties that often occurs with people who are bipolar is getting them to stay on their medication, so one might say my sister is quite strong for having done so, even though it means she gives up the "highs" in order to be rid of the lows.

"I also believe without a strong faith in God and His risen Son Jesus christ it may be impossible."

Its a beautiful country we live in, with the freedom to believe as we choose. Perhaps there is something to really thank God for. My dad would say a need to believe in an invisible being is a sign of weakness. So there ya have it, another way to put someone else down in order to make yourself feel good. Its not hard to do, really, patting yourself on the back while looking down your nose at someone else. I might say THAT is a sign of weakness, or a sign that someone has their own issues regarding self worth.

I agree with that abby my son and I was talking about how some chose to use religoin as a crutch or the name of God as a sense of denial of real life problems.

it is very common . very sad as again no one gets better really just denial and numbness in life.

IM unclear about your use of the word "weakness".. do you care to explain what you mean?

In the context of this conversation I would define weak as:

"some see life as getting through this day .. or this drama , or this bad choice and chose to be medicated to do it. that is simply the goal no growth very little understanding and certain of little change in life other than a dose or supply. "

Which I found to be a very inappropriate statement for this particular thread.

CW, if you are still following this, and Lord knows I wouldn't blame ya if you weren't . . .

It takes great courage and strength to acknowledge you have a problem and to ask for help. It takes even greater courage and strength to start a thread like this. You do what you need to do to take care of you and you will come through in spades. ((((CW)))))

It all boils down to what kind of person we are talking about. I have a sister that uses hers for a crutch and a reason to mess with peoples lives, that is when she gets caught. She is not a very nice person. If I wasn’t related I wouldn’t have any thing to do with her.

Burns has a workbook that is helpful to separate the behavioral from the imbalance.

Thanks, Paw - I'll check it out...I've got a workbook that uses cognitive therapy written by two clinical psychologists - Mind over Mood: Change How You Feel by Changing the Way You Think by Dennis Greenberger and Christine Padesky.

Candace Pert has done extensive research and has written the best book I've read so far on our mental health.... "Molecules of Emotion: the Science Behind Mindbody Medicine." She goes into great detail aobut the chemical imbalances, and blood tests are not necessary for a diagnosis. :rolleyes:

This book and practicing the things she covers has helped me tremendously. I'm also on anti-depressants and in therapy. I think, however, that her research has been as valuable to me as any of the others, but all combined have helped tremendously and, through what I've learned from her and others like her, I expect to maintain a healthy balance in life without medicine once I'm ready.

Dr. Pert is an internationally recognized pharmacologist who has published over 250 scientific articles on peptides and their receptors and the role of these neuropeptides in the immune system. Her earliest work as a researcher involved the discovery of opiate receptors and the actions of receptors. She has an international reputation in the field of neuropeptide and receptor pharmacology, and chemical neuroanatomy. Dr. Pert has also lectured worldwide on these and other subjects, including her theories on emotions and mind-body communication. Her recent popular book, Molecules of Emotion, Why You Feel the Way You Feel, (Scribner, September 1997) expounds on her research and theories. She was recently featured in "Washingtonian" magazine (Dec. 2001) as one of Washington's fifty "Best and Brightest" individuals. She holds a number of patents for modified peptides in the treatment of psoriasis, Alzheimer's disease, chronic fatigue syndrome, stroke and head trauma. One of these, peptide T, is currently undergoing research, in the United States, for the treatment of AIDS and neuroAIDS.

It all boils down to what kind of person we are talking about. I have a sister that uses hers for a crutch and a reason to mess with peoples lives, that is when she gets caught. She is not a very nice person. If I wasn’t related I wouldn’t have any thing to do with her.

I think we all know this person ductape .

it helps people cope , tis true consequences are a reality in life sooner or later .

how we chose to deal with reality is up to the individual , I think more education is needed.

of course blood work is not needed for the initial prescription of a mood alternating drug.

what could they check hmm? see if your lying about your feelings or complaining of worry and unhappyness and inability to cope or function. a dr.must treat you why would they question what you claim is happening in your head or thoughts?

it is needed to prescribe a drug at that point just in case the patient decides to attempt suicide or murder or sue for malpractice saves a lawsuit to give you something it is your life/.

I bet some blood work may be needed later after you have taken a very powerful mood alterning chemical for a few months just to check how much damage it is doing to your body and weigh the costs and possibly switch it if it is taking to much of a caculated toll .

yeah then they can treat that to . it is their job to fix you right? and they will fix you with any medicine you cry out for plenty of it is available for the taking. no skin off their teeth.

big business. people want it and think they need it and dr. MUST comply at this point. or be sued.

they will not disagree with your feelings and no amount of "blood work" will prove anything and most do not want the cost or work of life changes that take time, so hey quick fix. everyone is happy and safe.

it is what is considered normal.

Edited by pond

((((Cool))))

Keep at it and stick with it. You know a little of where I've been. I'm cheering for you.

Boy could I go on about this topic! And I could get on a soapbox....depending on my mood. (lol)

(I haven't read all the posts on this thread.)

A few years back I was talking with a husband about his wife's depression. He was angry with her because she just wouldn't "change" her mind. I told him, "Take off your glasses." He did. I said, "Now...see clearly."

He looked at me puzzled....he just couldn't change his mind to see clearly!!! He got the point...sort of.

As some of you know, I'm well acquainted with mental illness...as others on this forum. I'm well acquainted with chronic physical illness as well (as others on this forum) ..and it too can carry a stigma.

For you readers out there:

Pawtucket....I concur on Burn's book. (I worked every exercise in that handbook...and still apply them 4 years later. They help.)

Tbone...haven't read that book, but I'm sure it adds to Amen's and Burn's.

Right along side Burn's book I'd suggest Amen's Change Your Brain, Change Your Life and Childres's The Heartmath Soulution.

Belle....another great book. As you know, I'm a Pert fan!!! :)

Anyone with bipolar: I HIGHLY suggests Fawcett's New Hope for People with Bipolar Disorder. This book was a mainstay for me for a couple years. I'd refer to it for self help and reminders often.

And for women (and interested men): Women's Moods by Sichel and Driscoll.

Something I have written on a 3 X 5 card (in light of living with any illness):

"There will be days that my mood and energy are off kilter. On those days I can't expect as much from myself. This is not about my flawed character; it is about my biology. It is not an excuse to do less but it is loving myself with empathy, understanding, and wisdom."

Edited by I Love Bagpipes

Another thought here....the questions posed below I would ponder. Was I willing/ready to meet this challenge? That's where understanding support comes in BIG TIME! Books were/have been some of my support...along with trusted people and professionals.

From New Hope for People with Bipolar Disorder:

"Can we who are afflicted...with mental illness..accept our own frailty and imperfections? Are we prepared to meet rejection from others who don't understand our dilemma? Can we assume responsiblity for our disorder without using it as an excuse for our actions?..."

For me these questions sort of hit both sides of the coin. There will be stigma and some rejection. Am I prepared for that without judging those who don't understand this tormenting hell that I would live through?

At the same time, can I recognize if and when I use the illness as an excuse for my actions? For this...my psychologist was a great help. I'd journal and read it to him and he could help me ferret stuff out....recognize distorted thoughts....misperceptions...and patterns. And then I could implement strategies to help those.

Anyway....for me...somehow this relates to the stigma.

Stigma

A state of disgrace or infamy

Infamy

A state of extreme dishonor

EVil fame or public reputation.

The treatment of mood disorders is a new thing and it does not carry any "stigma" today.

The stigma may be about the behaviours some have had without medicine to treat the mind to control behaviours.

Some enjoy the voices or the manner of life they have without meds and this may cause some to question their judgements.

I do not worry about my "reputation" , I do not think most people care what other people think about them.

We need to learn to be accoutable to one another to function in life of course, but people with a mental illness are not "evil".

We all have heard the media stories or seen the "crazy people " on the street and they are frightening in some of of the actions and lifestyles they live.

that may have fed the beast of claiming to be a victim of a "stigma". My friend who has sizophenia and I have a close relative with bi-polar both function very well .I met my friend at work and my nephew just recieved his master degree and has a new car and a good job he has worked throughout his illness , had to to pay for the insurance to pay for the meds, he just went for the try outs for american idol.

If a person is very worred about a "stigma" being attached then why wou8ld they share their medical issues with anyone but a trusted source or a professional?

If a person is having behaviour issues in life that is the problem , people would judge or set boundaries to protect anyone from getting hurt. I do not think that is unreasonable , although I understand a person who is struggling with illness and behaviours may feel hurt with a type of rejection .

with good reason. Some of the diagnosed disorders and DEFINED organic issues within the brain can cause very serious behaviours. The outcome can be dangerous to self and others.

being depressed or anxious is a very different situation and today i really do believe more take pills to cope with life than not so any "stigma" is far removed for it.

I love bag pipes

you are now off all medicines and in complete recovery right?

good for you it sounds like you did the work needed to get well and whole.

Edited by pond

I don't have time to read everyone elses replies to this but You are the bomb CW. Call if you ever need anything. And remember you are never alone.

I have a son with ADHD and some other mental issues not yet defined. Just this weekend I had to deal with him threatening to kill myself and his 2 sisters when we were asleep and then threatening suicide. All because I broke up a fight between he and his 2 sisters and sent them all to their rooms. My son tore his room upside down out of anger and then made his threats. I will tell you it was one of those weekends when I wished my psychiatrist were still alive and that I still had my little bottle of clonazepam, but since he died I stopped seeking council (it was too hard to start all over and he knew me so well.) So without council there were no more happy pills.

I worry about my son who at 9 is talking like this, and I called the school to see if maybe they could help me since his insurance doesn't cover mental health. But the last thing I will allow myself to believe is that he is possessed by some devil spirit!! I love that boy and worry that he is having hard emotional issues and he seems to get worse when he is coming down off his ADHD meds. But Possession? NO!!! A real life issue? YES!!!

CW, you continue to do what you need to do to remain mentally healthy. You should absolutely do what is necessary and don't let way brained logic keep you from optimum health.