GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Star Trek Episode

"He may have been a hero... he may even have been a great man... but in the end, he was a bad captain."

"I came to see Ferenginar. I've heard a lot about it -- I can't wait to see all the... the rain... and the muck...

"But this is work for a... a mechanic. A repairman. A lowly engineer."

"I'm going to tell Chief O'Brien you said that."

"It's the Defiant!"

"What??"

"Thank you... sir?"

"'Sir' is correct, ensign. I was given a battlefield commission and command of this vessel by the late Captain Ramirez."

"Our mission was to circumnavigate the entire Federation before returning home."

"So... uh... where are you from?"

"Me? Tycho City."

"Oh... a Lunar Schooner."

" I haven't heard that in a long time."

"I picked it up from my grandpa. Of course, he still calls Luna The Moon -- like it's the only one or something."

"Well, nobody who's ever lived on the Moon calls it "Luna," either. That's just something they say on Earth."

"Sir, the Engine Room also reports that we still have power spikes cropping up all through the deuterium injector startup routine."

"I thought we had that under control."

"I did too, sir."

"Have you recalibrated the lateral impulse control system?"

"No. What does that have to do with the injectors?"

"Well, the impulse system shares some of the same power relays used in the injector startup routine."

"Like that other one... the, uh... uh -- the Republic."

"Not quite. The Republic's an old ship -- I don't think she's left the Terran System in fifty years."

"As of this moment, you're chief engineer. Congratulations."

"Chief Engineer?"

"With the rank of lieutenant commander. Your first assignment is to figure out why we can't go above warp three point two."

"All I did was ask about her home."

"All you did was plunge a member of this crew into emotional turmoil. The safety of the entire ship can rest on the actions of any one of us at any given moment.

That cadet was not ready to handle an emergency today and you are the reason why."

"Look -- if you're telling me that just talking about home can jeopardize the "safety of the entire ship," then you're in bigger trouble than you think you are."

"You're not here to volunteer your opinion. What you have to do is shut your mouth, obey the rules of this ship and stay away from Chief Collins!"

"Jake -- may I call you Jake?

You're a reporter. Your job is to watch the way events unfold, not participate in them. Right now, you need to stand back and take a good look at where you are and what's going on around you. You're in the middle of a great story. Maybe one of the greatest stories of the entire Dominion War. This ship is special, Jake. This crew is special. Whatever fates guide the universe have chosen us to achieve some purpose in this conflict. I know that. I know it as surely as I know your presence on this ship is no coincidence. You're here to write the story..."

"Don't interfere with the story, Jake. Don't become part of it. Just let it unfold around you. Observe. Listen. And then write it down."

"You do realize you're violating about fifty safety regulations?"

"Yes sir, I do. But I also know that Chief O'Brien made the same changes to the Defiant and she never had a problem."

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Put that in the story too. Let people read it... and decide for themselves."

"He may have been a hero... he may even have been a great man... but in the end, he was a bad captain."

"I came to see Ferenginar. I've heard a lot about it -- I can't wait to see all the... the rain... and the muck...

"But this is work for a... a mechanic. A repairman. A lowly engineer."

"I'm going to tell Chief O'Brien you said that."

"It's the Defiant!"

"What??"

"Thank you... sir?"

"'Sir' is correct, ensign. I was given a battlefield commission and command of this vessel by the late Captain Ramirez."

"Our mission was to circumnavigate the entire Federation before returning home."

"So... uh... where are you from?"

"Me? Tycho City."

"Oh... a Lunar Schooner."

" I haven't heard that in a long time."

"I picked it up from my grandpa. Of course, he still calls Luna The Moon -- like it's the only one or something."

"Well, nobody who's ever lived on the Moon calls it "Luna," either. That's just something they say on Earth."

"Sir, the Engine Room also reports that we still have power spikes cropping up all through the deuterium injector startup routine."

"I thought we had that under control."

"I did too, sir."

"Have you recalibrated the lateral impulse control system?"

"No. What does that have to do with the injectors?"

"Well, the impulse system shares some of the same power relays used in the injector startup routine."

"Like that other one... the, uh... uh -- the Republic."

"Not quite. The Republic's an old ship -- I don't think she's left the Terran System in fifty years."

"As of this moment, you're chief engineer. Congratulations."

"Chief Engineer?"

"With the rank of lieutenant commander. Your first assignment is to figure out why we can't go above warp three point two."

"Well. It sounds like you and the chief had quite a conversation this afternoon: home and family, and the glories of dawn on the Moon. Does that about cover it?"

"That's... about it. What's going on?"

" What's going on, Mister Sisko, in case you haven't noticed, is that we're in the middle of a war. We can't afford to have young cadets thinking about mommy and daddy when they need to be concentrating on their duties.."

"All I did was ask about her home."

"All you did was plunge a member of this crew into emotional turmoil. The safety of the entire ship can rest on the actions of any one of us at any given moment.

That cadet was not ready to handle an emergency today and you are the reason why."

"Look -- if you're telling me that just talking about home can jeopardize the "safety of the entire ship," then you're in bigger trouble than you think you are."

"You're not here to volunteer your opinion. What you have to do is shut your mouth, obey the rules of this ship and stay away from Chief Collins!"

"Jake -- may I call you Jake?

You're a reporter. Your job is to watch the way events unfold, not participate in them. Right now, you need to stand back and take a good look at where you are and what's going on around you. You're in the middle of a great story. Maybe one of the greatest stories of the entire Dominion War. This ship is special, Jake. This crew is special. Whatever fates guide the universe have chosen us to achieve some purpose in this conflict. I know that. I know it as surely as I know your presence on this ship is no coincidence. You're here to write the story..."

"Don't interfere with the story, Jake. Don't become part of it. Just let it unfold around you. Observe. Listen. And then write it down."

"You do realize you're violating about fifty safety regulations?"

"Yes sir, I do. But I also know that Chief O'Brien made the same changes to the Defiant and she never had a problem."

"You probably all know who my father is -- Benjamin Sisko. So you know I'm not exaggerating when I say that he's considered to be one of the best combat officers in the fleet........

...And I'm telling you right now that even with the entire crew of the Defiant with him... my father would never try to pull off something like this. And if he can't do it... it can't be done."

I didn't feel like googling the lines, but I felt that "reverse googling" would be okay (at least after this long). I have a list of all the DS9 episodes, and I googled titles that I thought would fit. I definitely had forgotten about this one. Since the ship was not the "Republic," it must have been the "Valiant." Jake and Nog get rescued by a ship manned only by "Elite Squad" cadets, led by a gung-ho incompetent. Actually a pretty good episode; it's just hard to remember them all...

WW, feel free to go again, if this constituted a breach of etiquette.

George

I didn't feel like googling the lines, but I felt that "reverse googling" would be okay (at least after this long). I have a list of all the DS9 episodes, and I googled titles that I thought would fit. I definitely had forgotten about this one. Since the ship was not the "Republic," it must have been the "Valiant." Jake and Nog get rescued by a ship manned only by "Elite Squad" cadets, led by a gung-ho incompetent. Actually a pretty good episode; it's just hard to remember them all...

WW, feel free to go again, if this constituted a breach of etiquette.

George

That's the correct title of the ship and the episode.

The more I think about this episode, the more problems I see with the strategy.

First of all, Starfleet has an incredibly rigid screening process to get INTO the academy,

but the cadets are allowed to get into trouble- at least the ones in elite units.

Nova Squadron killed a cadet trying a dangerous, prohibited stunt.

Red Squad's been in trouble more than once.

Small wonder they have ANOTHER loose cannon there. They need to disband "elite"

groups as troublemakers in the first place.

In the second place, using an older ship in the Terran system makes a lot of sense.

Keeping in the Terran system means less of a chance cadets will be killed, which is

a bad thing when training cadets. Further, in time of war, all the warships- and

Defiant-class ships are warships and of limited numbers- are needed for the war.

What idiot decided to take a top-of-the-line warship and assign it to 3 months of

training duty?

In the third place, cadets who train in the field are assigned SINGLY to places

so they can benefit from everyone's experience. Nog did that, and Kirk did that,

as did others. Otherwise, why is an entire group of cadets taken out of school

for 3 full months?

Finally, this MAY have happened but the actual officer who was dying should have

given explicit instructions to return to the academy as directly as possible,

by the most direct route that was safe, and to not be diverted from this for any

reason whatsoever unless their ship is under direct attack. It sounds more like

he SUPPOSED the cadet in charge would decide to do that- which IS the sensible

course but was not guaranteed. Then again, he may have told him that, and

the guy might have just lied to everyone else.

Might as well take the next turn, George.

"Dilation has gone to seven centimeters since the start of labor. That did not take very long."

"That's easy for YOU to say!"

"Let's see. Your science project involved radishes, did it not? I hereby appoint you my Executive Officer in charge of... um... radishes."

"Let me get this straight. You want me to take off your head!?"

"Yes sir."

"You just can't stay away from the big chair, can you?"

"I don't think I'm cut out to be Captain. First Officer, maybe. I understand there aren't many qualifications."

George

"I'm having contractions."

"I believe that is not uncommon in late months of pregnancy."

"No, I mean CONTRACTIONS! I am going into labor!

"You can not. This is not a good time."

"It's not open for debate! Like it or not, this baby is coming!"

"The computer simulation was not like this. That delivery was very orderly."

"WELL, I'M SORRY!"

"I was wrong. I'm sorry."

"Don't be. You could just as well have been right."

"Dilation has gone to seven centimeters since the start of labor. That did not take very long."

"Let's see. Your science project involved radishes, did it not? I hereby appoint you my Executive Officer in charge of... um... radishes."

"Yes sir."

"I don't think I'm cut out to be Captain. First Officer, maybe. I understand there aren't many qualifications."

George

Ok, let's move this along.

This was "Disaster", a ST:TNG episode where the ship was seriously damaged without warning,

maybe from a "cosmic string fragment" or something.

(Those cosmic string fragments sure came in handy writing some of those scripts...)

"Yes sir."

George

Poor Keiko O'Brien went into labour in 10-Forward, and the only person certified with current medical training there

was WORF.

Best quote there was Worf reciting to himself that he had to encourage her to push.

So he "encourages", Klingon-style.

"Push.

Push, Keiko.

Push.

Push!

PUSH!"

"I AM PUSHING!!!!"

Captain Picard, you may remember, doesn't like kids. (Unless he's related to them.) He was talked into giving a personal tour of

a handful of the grammar-school children who won prizes on "Captain Picard Day." He ended up trapped in an elevator

with them, then forced to get them out safely. He partly gained control over the situation by giving officer positions to each

of the kids, who seemed to respond to being given authority.

Riker and Data were trapped where they could access Engineering, but the command consoles were offline,

so Data suggested using his own command-circuitry- in his head-to control the console, or something.

Deanna Troi was the highest-ranked officer on the bridge (that reminds me, isn't the officer-on-duty supposed to be

on the bridge at all times? Whatever), and had some tough decisions to face-like if they should abandon the stardrive section

of the ship. Later, she bantered with Riker.

Correct on all counts. There was also a sub-plot with Dr. Crusher and Geordi putting out some burning barrels by opening a shuttle bay door, but I couldn't find any quotes for that.

George

That, sir, is why I try to pull up an entire script when I can.

In this case, it's here:

http://www.twiztv.com/scripts/nextgenerati...on5/tng-505.txt

That's how I was able to post huge chunks of the "Valiant" script.

I googled the episode name, the series, something from a quote, and the word "script"

all in their own quotation marks, and blammo-episode script.

Of course, there's occasional deviations from a script, which you need to watch out for.

(No, I didn't look for this script until just now. Googling while guessing disqualifies the googler.)

Next episode....

"Unfortunately, we've found there's little profit in trading with the Federation.

In order to comply with your commerce laws, we've had to pay a series of taxes and fees that have made the cost of doing business with you too high."

"What sort of taxes and fees are you referring to?"

"For example... on a recent shipment of Karemman Fleece, a four percent surcharge was added to pay for inspecting the cargo for 'changeling infiltrators.'"

"What?"

"You never know where they might be hiding."

"Another three percent of the shipment's value was lost due to 'unforeseen' currency fluctuations."

"There was a run on the Bolian Credit Exchange... played havoc with the markets..."

"A six percent tariff was imposed to help offset the 'lost income of Tarkalian sheep herders.'"

"Hardworking people... you have to feel for them..."

"Should I go on, Captain... ?"

"No... I think you've made your point..."

Edited by WordWolf

1:"Unfortunately, we've found there's little profit in trading with the Federation.

In order to comply with your commerce laws, we've had to pay a series of taxes and fees that have made the cost of doing business with you too high."

2:"What sort of taxes and fees are you referring to?"

1:"For example... on a recent shipment of Karemman Fleece, a four percent surcharge was added to pay for inspecting the cargo for 'changeling infiltrators.'"

2:"What?"

3:"You never know where they might be hiding."

1:"Another three percent of the shipment's value was lost due to 'unforeseen' currency fluctuations."

3:"There was a run on the Bolian Credit Exchange... played havoc with the markets..."

1:"A six percent tariff was imposed to help offset the 'lost income of Tarkalian sheep herders.'"

3:"Hardworking people... you have to feel for them..."

1:"Should I go on, Captain... ?"

2:"No... I think you've made your point..."

"Sensor range was limited, so we learned to use an old active-scan system to navigate."

"It works by echo-location... we send out a modulated tetrion pulse, and if it reflects off the hull of a ship, we can approximate its location."

"Won't these pulses give away our position as well?"

"We'll have to alter course and speed after each one."

1:"Unfortunately, we've found there's little profit in trading with the Federation.

1:"For example... on a recent shipment of Karemman Fleece, a four percent surcharge was added to pay for inspecting the cargo for 'changeling infiltrators.'"

1:"Another three percent of the shipment's value was lost due to 'unforeseen' currency fluctuations."

3:"There was a run on the Bolian Credit Exchange... played havoc with the markets..."

1:"A six percent tariff was imposed to help offset the 'lost income of Tarkalian sheep herders.'"

"Sensor range was limited, so we learned to use an old active-scan system to navigate."

"It works by echo-location... we send out a modulated tetrion pulse, and if it reflects off the hull of a ship, we can approximate its location."

"Helm, take us to a higher altitude."

"We're gaining altitude..."

"How can you tell?"

"I've got the lobes..."

"You've got them, too.

It's a Ferengi expression. Usually, when we say someone has "the lobes," we mean they have a keen business sense. That's you.

I'll admit it. You fooled me. I thought you were just another easy mark. But you saw right through my little scam, and taught me a thing or two about doing business in the Gamma Quadrant.

I guess I've gotten lazy. I'm used to dealing with the Federation. You think I was cheating you, you have no idea what I was doing to them. They still haven't caught on. And if someone like me can put one over on them, think of what someone like you could do."

"Someone with my... lobes?"

"Exactly. And I'm just the man to help you do it. we could become rich, rich beyond our dreams."

"You... are despicable."

I hate the Gamma Quadrant... "

"... but then the brothers started to argue about how to divide the money they got for the kava root. The oldest said that since it was his idea to bring it to the city, he should get more. The youngest objected, saying he was the one who'd tended the field where... "

"One of these diodes connects the warhead to the power source... the other is the firing mechanism."

"How do you know that?"

"I saw a design schematic once."

"Where?"

"At the Ministry of Trade on Karemma.

We sell these torpedoes to the Jem'Hadar."

"You're kidding."

"No."

"I thought you said you'd never sold substandard merchandise...

It was supposed to explode on impact, wasn't it?"

"Maybe I should offer them a refund..."

"How can you tell?"

"I've got the lobes..."

"You've got them, too.

It's a Ferengi expression. Usually, when we say someone has "the lobes," we mean they have a keen business sense. That's you.

I'll admit it. You fooled me. I thought you were just another easy mark. But you saw right through my little scam, and taught me a thing or two about doing business in the Gamma Quadrant.

I guess I've gotten lazy. I'm used to dealing with the Federation. You think I was cheating you, you have no idea what I was doing to them. They still haven't caught on. And if someone like me can put one over on them, think of what someone like you could do."

"Exactly. And I'm just the man to help you do it. we could become rich, rich beyond our dreams."

"You... are despicable."

"... but then the brothers started to argue about how to divide the money they got for the kava root. The oldest said that since it was his idea to bring it to the city, he should get more. The youngest objected, saying he was the one who'd tended the field where... "

"One of these diodes connects the warhead to the power source... the other is the firing mechanism."

"How do you know that?"

"Where?"

"You're kidding."

"No."

"How do you feel?"

"Terrible..."

"That's not surprising considering that you took in a few lungfuls of Fluorine."

"Next time remind me to hold my breath...I take it we're stuck in here..."

"How can you tell?"

"I've got the lobes..."

"You've got them, too.

"You... are despicable."

"How do you know that?"

"Where?"

"You're kidding."

"No."

"How do you feel?"

"Terrible..."

"That's not surprising considering that you took in a few lungfuls of Fluorine."

"Next time remind me to hold my breath...I take it we're stuck in here..."

"I need a weapon."

"We still have one atmospheric probe."

"If my plan is to work, the probe will not be available to use as a weapon. I need something else."

"Phasers are out of the question, the emitters are completely fused."

"But the phaser generator is working fine."

"The Deflector Array."

"With a few modifications, we could use it as a phaser emitter."

"It may not be what you had in mind, sir..."

"And there is one problem... It'll overload after the first shot."

"I only need one shot."

"Major... ?"

"Yes, captain?"

"What... happened... ?"

"The Jem'Hadar hit us pretty bad... Worf went down to the Engine Room to -- "

"No, no...

What happened to the three brothers?"

"They gave the money away, and went back to their farm where they belonged."

Ok, it's been long enough.

This was "Starship Down", which bore a resemblance to "Disaster" in that it was about

the main ship being damaged and the crew managing along.

A Kareeman businessman caught Quark cheating him, and Quark kept trying to

convert him to gambling and to taking risks-and part of that was when they had

to disarm a Jem'hadar torpedo.

Kira tried to keep an injured Sisko conscious by telling him a folk tale.

(According to Phil Farrand, that tale is a local tale in the Philippines.)

Bashir and Jadzia were trapped in a room for a short time, and had a candid talk

while they were.

My main recollections of the episode were of Worf and Miles O'Brien. Worf needed

to adjust his style of barking specific orders to the engineers' style of being given

a problem and figuring out the specifics themselves. That's him telling them

"I need a weapon" and them working out how to give him one with 1/2 the systems

damaged or not working right in that atmosphere.

My most vivid memory related to one of the quotes. Right after a major announcement

of using an "active" scan-one that generates a "ping" that others can detect, giving away

your own position- they said they'd need to alter course completely immediately after

each "ping"-since their position was given away.

Of course, the ship then proceeds to stay CONSTANT after each "ping".

And, of course, the Jem'hadar said "thanks for telling us where you are" and shot the heck

out of them while I was calling them idiots for not changing. I really am baffled what

that was about in the episode. I mean, the explanation was so obvious, and they FORGOT

to do the best thing to keep them un-shot?

Anyway, whoever's got a quote can go next- whoever it is.

This would be a GREAT chance for a lurker to take a turn.

A quote from ANY episode from ANY Star Trek series.

(Although some of us are spotty on our Voyager and Enterprise stuff.)

Now I remember it. The Worf/O'Brien part was the most memorable to me, as well. "They're not soldiers, sir. They're engineers. Give them a problem to solve." (Or something like that.)

I agree with WW. If there are other Trekkies out there who would like to play but haven't recognized the recent quotes, jump in now. If you'd lito post one but aren't sure of the quotes, many can be found on IMDb, Memory Alpha, Startrek.com, and TV.com. WW gave a link earlier to a place where whole scripts appear. I think it's twiztv.com.

Oh, and the 70's cartoon series is "out-of-bounds"; but the original series, Next Generation, Deep Space 9, Voyager, and Enterprise are all fair game. The first two series are more likely to get responders other than WW and me. :rolleyes:

George

• 2 weeks later...

" The entire point of something like this is to hand-make it.

Just as you have used Old England in a hobby of your own."

"Look at all of the detail... and everything here has some significance?"

"He purchased this in a pawn shop in Tottenham Court Road for fifty-five shillings, which he considered

a very good investment."

"To feel the thrill of a victory...there must be the possibility of failure.

Where's the victory winning a battle you can't possibly lose?"

(Come on, I know some of you know this episode, it's not obscure....)

" The entire point of something like this is to hand-make it.

Just as you have used Old England in a hobby of your own."

"Look at all of the detail... and everything here has some significance?"

"He purchased this in a pawn shop in Tottenham Court Road for fifty-five shillings, which he considered

a very good investment."

"To feel the thrill of a victory...there must be the possibility of failure.

Where's the victory winning a battle you can't possibly lose?"

"Like the spider, I feel the strings vibrate whenever anyone new chances into my web."

"I have read her expressions -- what she has not said is as important as her words..."