GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Star Trek Episode

"There are two ways to handle defeat. You can lose confidence or you can learn from your mistakes."

"That is what troubles me. I made no mistakes."

"All right, enough of this!"

"Doctor?"

"How long are you going to sit sulking like Achilles in his tent?"

"I am running diagnostic --"

"You might be able to sell others with that story, but not me. You're smarting because you got beat. Well, it happens."

"No, Doctor, this is not ego. I am concerned about giving the captain unsound advice."

"It's a real mess down here, but we'll get to work on it."

"I'm sure you'll perform your usual miracle."

"What's the Zakdornian word for 'mismatch'?"

"Challenge! We do not whine about the inequities of life. And how you perform in a 'mismatch' is precisely what interests Starfleet. After all -- when one is in the superior position, one is expected to win."

"Play a machine? Why should I wish to?"

"I don't blame you. It's no fun going into a game when you know you're going to lose."

"But I wouldn't lose, and now you're no doubt going to make me prove it to you."

"I was hoping that you would agree to play me in a game of Strategema."

"Although I am intrigued by the audacity of your request, I can't fathom why you wish the encounter."

"I enjoy a challenge."

"Very well, an opponent of 'limited dimensions' can often be quite diverting."

"I have wagered heavily in the ship's pool that you will take him past the sixth plateau."

"What if I don't?"

"I will be... irritated."

"Despite their reputations, this Zakdorn does not appear to be a very formidable warrior."

"In the game of military brinksmanship, individual physical prowess is less important than the perception of a species as a whole. For over nine millennia potential foes have regarded the Zakdorns as having the greatest innately strategic minds in the galaxy."

"And no one is willing to test that perception in combat."

"Exactly."

"Then the reputation means nothing."

"When you're out-gunned, out-manned, and out-equipped --what else do you have left?"

"Guile."

"Join me."

George

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last clues. I'm not copying them all again, so just add these to the previous ones. If no one else gets it, WW, please chime in.

"You'll have warp drive, Captain, though it may not be what you expected."

"I'd say that calls for an explanation."

"Sir, we'll be able to give you warp one..."

"-- for just under two seconds."

"Well, not enough for an escape but used as a surprise, sufficient for gaining a strategic advantage."

"Sir, all of this is 'theoretical'."

"And if the theory fails to pay off?"

"Ever driven a Grenthemen Water Hopper?"

"Yes."

"Ever popped the clutch?"

"You're telling me we'll stall the ship?"

"As the Starfleet observer I am ordering you to withdraw!"

"I am the captain of this vessel! Your order is nullified!"

"At the captain's signal, we will fire four photon torpedoes directly at the Hathaway. A millisecond before detonation, the computer will trigger your warp jump."

"I think I hate this plan. We don't even know for sure if our warp jump will work."

"If the warp engines should fail to function, the result could be... unfortunate."

"Very unfortunate... we will be dead."

"I busted him up."

George

Don't remember the name of the episode, but it's TNG where Data was beaten at Strategema, and Riker, LaForge, and Wesley were battling the enterprise with an old ship in an exercise of war.

Correct!

The name, IIRC, is "Peak Performance."

I'm hazy on the spelling, but Starfleet finally decided to get serious and do some war-games. (About time!)

Riker's crew got the derelict USS Hathaway spaceworthy-although it was unable to fire phasers or use the warp-drive

(there were a few fragments of dilithium crystal, but no plasma to fuel it.) After being told to improvise, Wesley "discarded"

his recent science experiment by beaming it aboard the Hathaway, which gave them a little plasma for the warp-drive.

Zakdornian observer Sirna Kolrami didn't take him seriously, so he got away with it. Data, meanwhile, had trouble accepting

a loss at a game didn't mean he was flawed-but later, changed the conditions he played for- which meaned Kolrami threw

the match, leaving in frustration from the stalemate. In other words, Data busted him up. :)

I'm a fan of strategic considerations in episodes, and liked seeing Riker and Worf get their crew and ship going.

I also agree that the Zakdornian reputation counts for nothing if it's not tested in military conditions.

Kolrami was convinced Riker was a poor officer just because he was personable- but Riker succeeded in getting his crew

to "do the impossible" and do a warp-jump. Not to mention simulate a Romulan warbird attack- which meant the

Enterprise was in trouble when it ignored the next "simulation"-a Ferengi Marauder- which was quite real and just

passing through. Reminds me of one of Murphy's Rules of War: "that feint you are ignoring is the enemy's main attack."

I also loved the exchange when Riker asked Kolrami what the word for 'mismatch' was.

Kolrami, when he said that the opponent in the superior position is expected to win, gave Picard an odd look,

as if accusing him of being unable to win despite his spoken comments about Riker not having a real chance.

Somewhere, I have my Star Trek: Collectible Card Game cards, including one for Kolrami.

(I had Riker, Data, Kolrami, but not Worf. Oh, well....)

Meanwhile, it's Cindy's turn.

Sorry....got sidetracked....here ya go!

We are not a violent race,

Captain. Just passionate about

our cause. And that passion has

led some to take up arms.

Do you know where we can find

Orta?

I'm afraid not.

Might you be able to help us

ocate him?

I'm sorry. I don't wish to help

you.

GsG.....nope....try again!

We live in different universes,

you and I. Yours is about

diplomacy, politics, strategy.

Mine is about blankets. If we

were to exchange places for a

night, you would better

understand.

Mister Data -- see to it that our

replicators provide blankets for

every man, woman and child here

before nightfall.

Yessir.

Mister Worf, you will determine

if these people have any other

emergency needs and provide

whatever we can...

Aye, sir.

Return to your ship. I will

contact you when I have any

information that might be of

assistance.

Edited by Cindy!

Ok, the blankets was sort-of a giveaway.

This is the ST:TNG episode where they spend time with the Bajorans the first time around,

looking for a spokesperson from them for negotiations with the Cardassians on the

Maquis or something.

To do this, they transferred in Ensign Ro (Ro Laren) to the Enterprise.

I think this was the character's introduction, and it was called "Ensign Ro."

(IIRC, the first time we discovered family names come first for Bajorans,

thus "Major Kira" is a title and family name, and "Nerise" is a personal name.)

DS9, obviously.

I remember a time travel episode, where Sisko replaces an activist who was killed. I don't know if that's enough info. (I thibnk it was the one where Dax is also lost back in the same time period. Kira and O'Brien eventully find them.)

George

These are not quotes from that TWO-PARTER, neither from Part I nor Part II.

Nope.

But it IS from the one where Nog, Quark and Rom time travel to Roswell, New Mexico, circa 19-whatever it was when the alien craft was supposed to have landed.

Edited by Raf

Nope.

But it IS from the one where Nog, Quark and Rom time travel to Roswell, New Mexico, circa 19-whatever it was when the alien craft was supposed to have landed.

Correct- when 3 Ferengi were called "Little Green Men".

Quark's cousin Gaila owed him a ship, and finally dropped it off. Quark gave Nog a lift to Earth to begin at Starfleet Academy (with some smuggled kemacite).

When Gaila's bomb blew out the warp controls, Rom jury-rigged an exit from warp using the kemacite- and they ended up

crashing near Roswell in 1947.

On the way to Earth, Nog was reviewing his gift from Miles and Julian- a databank padd with all sorts of Earth history and information on it.

When he was skimming past the Bell Riots, he noticed the picture looked just like Benjamin Sisko-

which makes sense, since Sisko had replaced Bell accidentally in a previous episode.

Raf's turn!

"When your captain first approached us we suspected that an agreement with humans would prove impossible to maintain. You are erratic, conflicted, disorganised. Every decision is debated, every action questioned. Every individual entitled to their own small opinion. You lack harmony, cohesion, greatness. It will be your undoing."

Edited by Raf

• 2 weeks later...

Since Raf has abandoned us, I googled the line. Here are more quotes from the episode:

"You've still got a tendril up your nose."

"We don't have to stop being individuals to get through this. We just have to stop fighting each other."

"When your captain first approached us we suspected that an agreement with humans would prove impossible to maintain. You are erratic, conflicted, disorganised. Every decision is debated, every action questioned. Every individual entitled to their own small opinion. You lack harmony, cohesion, greatness. It will be your undoing."

George

• 2 weeks later...

"I want you to know that disobeying your order was one of the most difficult things I have ever had to do."

"I understand...and I respect the decision you made, even though I disagree with it. What's important is that, in the end, we got through this - together; I don't ever want that to change."

"Agreed."

"Good. Well, I think it's time we got back to our bridge."

"No argument there!"

"Right now, your enemy believes it is invulnerable. If we create smaller weapons, using our torpedoes, and destroy a few of their bio-ships, it may deter them, convince them to give up this war."

"You are individuals; you are small and you think in small terms -- but the present situation requires we consider your plan."

"You've still got a tendril up your nose."

"We don't have to stop being individuals to get through this. We just have to stop fighting each other."

George

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. That was "Scorpion," the two-parter that introduced Seven of Nine.

Here's an "easier" (read "earlier") one:

"War isn't a good life, but it's life."

"There came a time when our weapons grew faster than our wisdom, and we almost destroyed ourselves. We learned from this to make a rule during all our travels never to cause the same to happen to other worlds... just as a man must grow in his own way and his own time."

George

"A hundred... serpents. Serpents, for the Garden of Eden."

"A balance of power; the dirtiest, trickiest, nastiest game in the book, but the only one that preserves both sides."

"War isn't a good life, but it's life."

"There came a time when our weapons grew faster than our wisdom, and we almost destroyed ourselves. We learned from this to make a rule during all our travels never to cause the same to happen to other worlds... just as a man must grow in his own way and his own time."

George