GreaseSpot Cafe

The latest example of a miracle in my life

bowtwi

I'm so stoked, I almost don't know where to begin!

I've been looking for a job as an at-home medical transcriptionist or virtual secretary or something along those lines. Part-time, full-time - I don't care - I'm totally flexible.

I had a temporary job that I loved for a few months this past Spring as a Medical Office Reviewer. It was fun to go around this section of the state inspecting doctors' offices for an insurance company as part of the credentialing process. Some weeks it was part-time, some weeks full-time. It was temporary tho, and ended in May, which was great for the summer off, but summer's over.

Now I'm ready to go back to work. I'm out of the transcription field for 2 solid years. Everyone that I've seen hiring want RECENT experience and most of them want hospital experience. My hospital experience is all at least 5 years old. I am considered a clinic transcriptionist.

I've not been offered as much as I figured I should be offered. I started to think my resume is weak and I should have it done professionally. Maybe I have more ego than money in the bank to cash that ego check. Maybe I'm not as good as I think I am. All sorts of thoughts go through my head. I start applying for administrative assistant jobs in the city, but then do the math and figure it's way too many hours away from home, considering most jobs are at least 45 minutes from my home.

Since Annie's daddy died, I've not only been a single parent, but an ONLY parent. I have really enjoyed the luxury of working at home so I can be here for all I feel she needs me here for. I want to continue this life/workstyle as long as she's home with me.

I have applied for everything I think is within my ability to apply for. I believe God has picked up where I left off.

I had taken a few tests for different positions. The week before last I was looking at a virtual office temporary jobs website and I came across this company that does transcription and court reporting. I started thinking maybe I should train to do court reporting. I took their medical transcriptionist test and aced it. They didn't have any sound files on the site to do any actual transcribing, altho it was clearly a part of the testing process. I shot an email to them asking if I might have missed the files and they wrote back thanking me for bringing that to their attention, said they'd let me know when they had the problem fixed...

I got an email from their tech guy last Wednesday saying it was corrected and would I please go back there and transcribe the test at my convenience. It was late afternoon so I decided my convenience was the next morning when I would be fresh.

When I sat down at my computer last Thursday morning, I checked my email first and found a job offer from them. They congratulated me on acing the test and asked if I would like to do a general surgery account. I would like to, yes, but orthopedics is my very favorite, so I figured I would do the general surgery til an orthopedics opening became available. At least it would be a foot in the door. I really never minded general surgery work annieways.

So, then I went back through my notes of jobs I had applied for to see the details, like pay and schedules. I NEVER APPLIED TO THIS COMPANY. I simply took their online medical terminology and grammar test. I didn't even take the transcription test.

The job offer asked if I could train on their system Thursday, as they had a class that day I could just join and not have to wait til they could set up another. That was fine with me. I could work around that easily. The training went real well. They then sent me new hire paperwork to fill out and fax back. They wrote a note asking me to include my resume with the papers I sent back. They offered me more money to start this job than I was making from my major client when I left the job a couple years ago!

It was all set - I was to start work on Monday. Ha ha! The office is closed on Monday, it was Columbus Day! I never worked for a transcription service that took Columbus Day off!

Now here's the real kicker! After I bought $100 in new updated software specifically for general surgery, they asked me if I would mind starting on an orthopedics account rather than the general surgery. She said that she had reviewed my resume after offering me that other account and feels I would be better placed in orthopedics. (Wow, that is so cool I can't even explain cool that is!)

Not only that, I got an email this morning (after I sent in my transcribed work with zero blank spots in it - patting my own self on the back, I know) from one of the owners of the company asking me to consider editing for them! That's going to increase my income even more!

I'm so tired from doing the happy dance, but energized at the same time! This is way more than I was looking for at this time! Reminds me of "... exceedingly abundant above all that I ask or think..." Clearly GOD all over it! :dance:

Aww shucks, Chatty - you say the nicest things!

Well, the job has gotten even better! After I worked the second day, the boss called me yesterday and we had a very long discussion.

I am no longer an independent contractor - I am a full-time hourly employee! She asked what it would take to get me on board FROM MY HOME with benefits and all! Health insurance even! Woo hoo! She said if I were in Maine she would love to work alongside me in the office.

All that rain in Maine recently - the office was flooded and she owns the building. All the offices were on the first floor and they had to continue working to keep the business going while the flood damage was repaired. The floors had to be replaced altogether, along with a few inches of wallboard from the floor up.

They lost some employees during this time and are now rebuilding.

She said my positive attitude is like a breath of fresh air. What timing!

I had told them that I hadn't been working the last 2 years. I didn't try to pretend I had been working all along. Man, what a good thing that turned out to be, so I was able to talk freely and now I have the dollar amount I had figured I would need if I were to drive to the city to work, anticipating between $100 and $125 a week in gas! (Things change alot in medicine in 2 years and I've had questions I wouldn't have it I had continued working the past 2 years.)

It just keeps getting better every day!

Oh yeah, I'm no longer a transcriptionist. I are now a Trainer/Account Manager/Editor. I'm presently working on a plan to improve quality of work. The owner said my ideas sound like just what they need to implement. Office hours are 7:30-3 and I work from home. It's almost embarrassing how great this has been going!

Thank you, God!

Geez -- I thought I already said CONGRATS, but I see I didn't. :(

So ---- CONGRATULATIONS!! :eusa_clap:

It just keeps getting better every day!

Oh yeah, I'm no longer a transcriptionist. I are now a Trainer/Account Manager/Editor.

(Does this mean you're going to be TAME, now??)

Say it ain't so!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Edited by dmiller