GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Flick

Raf

Do you believe that if a man repents enough for what he done wrong,

that he'll get to go back to the time that was happiest for him and live there forever?

Could that be what heaven's like?

I just about believe that very thing.

I had a young wife when I was eighteen. We spent the summer in the mountains,

made love every night. After we would talk sometimes till the sun came up,

and she'd lay there, bare breasted in the fire light... that was my best time.

Heaven, I'm in heaven... heaven... heaven...

that he'll get to go back to the time that was happiest for him and live there forever?

You tell God the Father it was a kindness you done. I know you hurtin' and worryin', I can feel it on you, but you oughta quit on it now. Because I want it over and done. I do. I'm tired, boss. Tired of bein' on the road, lonely as a sparrow in the rain. Tired of not ever having me a buddy to be with, or tell me where we's coming from or going to, or why. Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly to each other. I'm tired of all the pain I feel and hear in the world everyday. There's too much of it. It's like pieces of glass in my head all the time. Can you understand?

What do you want me to do John? You want me to let you walk out of here and see how far you get?

Now why would you do a silly thing like that?

When I die and I stand before God awaiting judgement and he ask's me why I let one of his miracles die, what am I going to say, that it was my job?

You tell God the Father it was a kindness you done. I know you hurtin' and worryin', I can feel it on you, but you oughta quit on it now. Because I want it over and done. I do. I'm tired, boss. Tired of bein' on the road, lonely as a sparrow in the rain. Tired of not ever having me a buddy to be with, or tell me where we's coming from or going to, or why. Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly to each other. I'm tired of all the pain I feel and hear in the world everyday. There's too much of it. It's like pieces of glass in my head all the time. Can you understand?

Yes John, I think I can.

What's your name?

John Coffey, Ma'am.

Like the drink, only not spelled the same

No Ma'am. Not spelt the same at all.

"Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee, God, for forgiveness."

"Where did you learn our language?"

"I listened!"

George

"How can you sleep at a time like this?"

"The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing."

"Blow-hards the both of you. She probably was some smoke-colored camp girl. Looked like that one's mother."

"My mother was a pure woman from a noble family. And I, at least, know who my father is, you pig-eating son of a whore!"

"Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee, God, for forgiveness."

"I listened!"

George

"Beowulf?"

No, but not a bad guess. Most of the characters in this movie are Norsemen.

"We shall pray for your safe return!"

"Pray to whom?"

"In your land one God may be enough, but here we have need of many. I will pray to all of them for you. Do not be offended!"

"I'll be in your debt!"

"Goodbye, Arab!"

"Goodbye, Northman."

"How can you sleep at a time like this?"

"The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing."

"Blow-hards the both of you. She probably was some smoke-colored camp girl. Looked like that one's mother."

"My mother was a pure woman from a noble family. And I, at least, know who my father is, you pig-eating son of a whore!"

"I listened!"

George

"At one time most of my friends could hear the bell, but as years passed it fell silent for all of them. Even Sarah found one Christmas that she could no longer hear its sweet sound. Though I've grown old the bell still rings for me, as it does for all who truly believe."

"The thing about trains... it doesn't matter where they're going. What matters is deciding to get on."

Edited by Raf