GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Flick

Raf

" Alright, listen to me. You pull up right where she lives, right? Before you get outta the car, you lock both doors. Then, get outta the car, you walk over to her. You bring her over to the car. Dig out the key, put it in the lock and open the door for her. Then you let her get in. Then you close the door. Then you walk around the back of the car and look through the rear window. If she doesn't reach over and lift up that button so that you can get in: dump her. "

"Just like that?"

"Listen to me, kid. If she doesn't reach over and lift up that button so that you can get in, that means she's a selfish broad and all you're seeing is the tip of the iceberg."

If that's not "SCENT OF A WOMAN," let's see....

I don't know, "SCARFACE"?

"He's wrong, it don't take much strength to pull a trigger but try getting up every morning day after day and work for a living, let's see him try that, then we'll see who the real tough guy is, the working man is the tough guy, your father's the tough guy!"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

"Don't you want to know our names?"

"Can't imagine how it would matter."

"What do you use Hair Cream for?"

"To lock in moisture."

"Who wants a beard?"

"Well, beatniks for one, folk singers, and motorbike riders. Y'know. All those hip, jazzy, super cool, neat, keen, and groovy cats. It's in the fridge, daddy-o! Are you hip to the jive? Can you dig what I'm layin' down? I knew that you could. Slide me some skin, soul brother!"

"Why is everything here completely pointless?"

"To lock in moisture."

"Who wants a beard?"

"Well, beatniks for one, folk singers, and motorbike riders. Y'know. All those hip, jazzy, super cool, neat, keen, and groovy cats. It's in the fridge, daddy-o! Are you hip to the jive? Can you dig what I'm layin' down? I knew that you could. Slide me some skin, soul brother!"

"I do say, that all seemed rather rehearsed."

"Your mum and I thought, maybe you want to open your birthday present, tonight."

"Here you are."

"Maybe I should wait till morning."

"Like hell."

"Pop."

"All together we're 381 years old. We don't wait."

"Oh, thank heavens... he's completely unharmed."

"To lock in moisture."

"Who wants a beard?"

"Your mum and I thought, maybe you want to open your birthday present, tonight."

"Here you are."

"Like hell."

"Pop."

"Good morning, starshine. The earth...says hello."

"There's plenty of money out there. They print more every day."

" Do you have an appointment?"

"No, but he's overdue."

"She's even worse than the fat boy!"

"Do you have any idea what breakfast cereal's made of? It's those little curly wooden shavings you find in pencil sharpeners."

"Ha ha ha, wasn't that just magnificent? I was worried it was getting a little dodgy in the middle part, but then that finale... Wow!"

"To lock in moisture."

"Who wants a beard?"

"Here you are."

"Like hell."

"Pop."

"No, but he's overdue."

"So, can you send other things? Say, like, breakfast cereal?"

"Do you have any idea what breakfast cereal's made of? It's those little curly wooden shavings you find in pencil sharpeners."

"Ha ha ha, wasn't that just magnificent? I was worried it was getting a little dodgy in the middle part, but then that finale... Wow!"

"Augustus, My child. That is not the right thing to do!"

" "Up and out"? What kind of a room is that?"

"Hold on."

"Eyes on the prize, Violet, eyes on the prize."

"Oh well, nothing goes better with cabbage than cabbage."

No idea. Even some of the vaguely familiar lines have been swamped by the completely unfamiliar ones. :)/>

George

You have the names of 2 of the characters, and an uncommon food to mention in dialogue.

From those alone, you should be able to get it in 2 guesses-

or 1 guess if you know the other version well and can eliminate it by not recognizing

almost all these quotes. I even included one that appeared in the book.

Edited by WordWolf

I'm torn between Edward Scissorhands and Stir Crazy. Which one is closer?

Ok, Augustus narrows it down to two movies, one a remake of the other.

From your hint, I'm guessing people are more familiar with the original than the remake, so someone who doesn't recognize the quotes would be less familiar with the remake, making this:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory starring Johnny Depp.

I'm torn between Edward Scissorhands and Stir Crazy. Which one is closer?

Ok, Augustus narrows it down to two movies, one a remake of the other.

From your hint, I'm guessing people are more familiar with the original than the remake, so someone who doesn't recognize the quotes would be less familiar with the remake, making this:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory starring Johnny Depp.

Well, *I* am certainly more familiar with the original than the remake,

and would be able to "triangulate", as it were, from what I mentioned.

So, you are correct.

BTW, at least one quote appeared in the original movie.

Here's how they appeared in this thing.

The thoroughly unlikeable Willy Wonka, upon meeting the 5 children.

"To lock in moisture."

His factory also made "hair cream", as did the original's.

"Who wants a beard?"

Mike Teevee asked why he was working on some sort of instant beard thing.

I agree-its relevance to candy approaches zero on an absolute scale.

Mike Teevee on the ridiculousness of this hammerspace-huge factory/planet,

where much of it had little to do with standard candy-making but worked for Wonka.

One of the adults, commenting on the musical number with Augustus Gloop.

In this version, the musical numbers are part of the scene.

"Here you are."

"Like hell."

"Pop."

The Bucket family, and Charlie about whether to open his chocolate bar.

As said in both movies when Mike Teevee reappeared after being broadcast across a room.

Wonka, during his "greeting" of the kids.

The other Grandpa on why Charlie couldn't sell his Golden Ticket for money, even a lot.

"No, but he's overdue."

Towards the end, with Christopher Lee and Depp, between Lee and Freddie Sizemore.

One grandparent, after seeing Veruca "find" the second ticket after Augustus.

"So, can you send other things? Say, like, breakfast cereal?"

Mike and Wonka, in an exchange I remember from the book as well.

Wonka, on his opening presentation that broke down.

"Augustus, My child. That is not the right thing to do!"

Mrs Gloop, when Augustus tries to drink the chocolate river.

" "Up and out"? What kind of a room is that?"

"Hold on."

The glass elevator.

"Eyes on the prize, Violet, eyes on the prize."

Violet's mom, when they enter the factory.

"Oh well, nothing goes better with cabbage than cabbage."

In both versions, the family lives off a lot of cabbage soup.

(As adults, we wondered how 4 pensions together couldn't at least cover the rent on a hovel and

some minimal food, allowing one parent's salary to pay for food and expenses.)

As it happens, I haven't seen either version. I suppose that a lot of references to chocolate might have given it away. Good to see that at least two of us have watched these pretty-well-known films! :)/>

George

Seriously, you've never seen the original? I got used to them showing WW&tCF every holiday season,

with one channel showing it around Thanksgiving and another around Christmas.

There was a great, big hullabaloo about the remake. It was remade on a bigger budget, with lots of special

effects. Even throwing in Christopher Lee, in my opinion, didn't make it even with the other movie.

The original's songs actually meant something for the story, and, like all musicals, weren't exactly

part of the story. Finally, how the kid "wins" in the original really MEANT something. In the remake,

he "won" by just not making a stupid mistake like the others. The newer Wonka doesn't like kids, doesn't

like parents, and doesn't like old people. He's plain antisocial. He seems put out to show the factory.

In the original, he's odd-but there seems to be a calculation whenever he's peculiar- he's having fun

and knows how to do it without being a legitimately bad person. He likes kids. And we know, in the end,

that all the rotten kids were back to their old selves eventually-but hopefully a little wiser.

There's a claim that the remake was closer to the book. First of all, bushwah. The book doesn't have a

creepy, antisocial Wonka. The book doesn't show his childhood- with the self-indulgent nod to Tim Burton's

own childhood with the mouth-guard. Wonka's offer at the end was immediately accepted in the book-

like the original.

Second of all, everything that made the original memorable was added for the movie. The entire public

mad buying spree of all the Wonka bars, the Slugworth subplot (and Wilson) which makes total sense the

SECOND time you watch it, the final test, and closing lines are classic if not revolutionary.

So, Dahl complained about the original, but the differences made for a better movie. If they had stuck

closely to the book, it would have been a forgettable movie and not something considered a family classic.

Any adaptation makes changes. Are they faithful, and do they add to the result? In the case of the

original movie, I would say "yes." In the case of the remake, I would say "rarely."

"What is it with all the women in this family, that makes all the men in this family wanna leave?"

"Julie, you're here!"

"What does that make you, Sherlock Holmes? I live here!"

• 2 weeks later...

"It sounds like a boy Garry's age needs a man around the house."

"Well, it depends on the man. I had a man around. He used to wake me up every morning by flicking lit cigarettes at my head. He'd say, 'Hey, a--hole, get up and make me breakfast.' You know, Mrs. Buckman, you need a license to buy a dog, or drive a car. Hell, you need a license to catch a fish! But they'll let any butt-reaming a--hole be a father."

" I didn't know myself until a couple of months ago. You see, a few years ago, I was living in Vegas with this girl. Showgirl. She was in that show 'Elvis On Ice'. Anyhow, we drifted apart, as people do in these complicated times, and then a couple of months ago, she shows up with Cool and tells me "You watch him. I shot someone. I have to leave the country."... That's a parent?"

"You don't talk like a kid."

"Yeah, well I'm not really a kid."

"You're not a duck."

"This is a memory of when I was a kid. I'm 35 now. I have kids of my own. You don't even really exist. You're an amalgam."

"A what?"

"A combination of several ushers my dad left me with over the years. I combined them into one memory."

"Why?"

"This was a great symbolic moment of my life. My father dumping me with you... it's why I swore things would be different with my kids. It's my dream. Strong, happy, confident kids."

"That's great, that's great. You know, you - you got a lovely family, and I'm a g-d-amalgam!"

Every one of these quotes touches on a theme. The theme is the name of the movie.

Clarification:

"Every one of these quotes touches on a theme. The theme is the name of the movie."

That applies to the three quotes in the preceding post. The earlier quotes are from the same movie, but do not touch on the theme.