GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Flick

Raf

"My name is Robert Hawkins. It's 6:42 AM on Saturday, May 23rd. Approximately seven hours ago, some thing attacked the city. I don't know what it is. If you found this tape, I mean if you're watching this right now, then you probably know more about it than I do.”

2 hours ago, Raf said:

"My name is Robert Hawkins. It's 6:42 AM on Saturday, May 23rd. Approximately seven hours ago, some thing attacked the city. I don't know what it is. If you found this tape, I mean if you're watching this right now, then you probably know more about it than I do.”

That's very early for a Saturday.

This is "CLOVERFIELD",   found-footage meets Godzilla.   No, actually, I thought this movie was better than most in either genre, no matter how I made it sound.    The found-footage films are also known as "shaky cams" - because the authentic filming is with camcorders, thus the shaky footage.

BTW, in case you didn't recognize the moments (but I did),

They traveled on foot through the 6 train tunnels.  The location they entered that had all the soldiers and medical cases was BLOOMINGDALES,  59th St and Lexington Ave, and accessible through the subway station.

The final location on foot was Pershing Square, just south of Grand Central Station's main entrance. That spot's pretty well filmed.  40th and 3rd there was in "Quick Change" on the west corner (in the movie, that was the bank's location) , and the northeast corner was the CLAMP Building from "Gremlins 2."  "Avengers" had their comic book panel moment almost in front of "the CLAMP Building", and "I Am Legend" (Will Smith version) used the upper road level above those.   Furthermore, on 42nd at Pershing Square is that breakfast place with "the best breakfast in Manhattan", where Steve Rogers ate at the beginning of "Avengers" and in the missing scene. ("Get her number, you moron!")  The breakfasts there ARE excellent but not worth the sticker price.   (The Lexington Ave Diner is close, cheaper, and just as good, IMHO.)    So, if the Cloverfield characters had walked past the landing spot, and then turned and looked back, the breakfast place would have been on their right, and Grand Central Station to their back. 

For those who know Avenue of the Americas, the tilted building was probably easy to spot. I had a general idea, but that was it.

"I love this chick. She's got rage issues."    "I DON'T HAVE RAGE ISSUES!"

" Isn't this fun? It's just like a sleepover. We should order pizza, make Cosmos...! "

"Hey, I know that guy."

"Oh hey, you're that singer no one listens to." "Oh hey, you're the .... no one likes."

"Oh... that wasn't me!" "But you dared him to do it!"  "Yeah, but I dare a lot of people to do a lot of things! "

"I love this chick. She's got rage issues."    "I DON'T HAVE RAGE ISSUES!"

" Isn't this fun? It's just like a sleepover. We should order pizza, make Cosmos...! "

"Hey, I know that guy."

"Oh hey, you're that singer no one listens to." "Oh hey, you're the .... no one likes."

"Oh... that wasn't me!" "But you dared him to do it!"  "Yeah, but I dare a lot of people to do a lot of things! "

"This arrow through his throat... she wanted him to die slowly."  "She?" "We got a hair. And he's got a new assassin."   "Who does?"  "Roman Beauvais Sionis."

"Well, for someone who has nothing nice to say about lawyers, you certainly have plenty of them around."

"They're like nuclear warheads. They have theirs, so I have mine. Once you use them, they f--- up everything."

"When capitalism gets f - -ed up, the communists come back. They're waiting in the bushes. First thing they do is shoot the lawyers."

"Since when do you have to be nice to be right?"

"I love money. I love money more than I love the things it can buy. Does that surprise you? Money. It don't care whether I'm good or not. It don't care whether I snore or not. It don't care which god I pray to. There are only three things in this world with that kind of unconditional acceptance. Dogs... doughnuts... and money. Only money is better. You know why? Because it don't make you fat and it don't poop all over the living-room floor."

George

"I am so dead they're going to have to bury me twice."

"We're going to be locked up with men who murdered, and raped, and robbed convenience stores."

"Could you take the car out of neutral? We just got passed by a street sweeper."

"I'm with her!"  "Boy, you wouldn't be with her if she was your Siamese twin. Now get lost."

"Wow. Did you ever imagine in all your life that you would see a Mercedes fit inside the trunk of a Cadillac?"