GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Flick

Raf

"You don't like raisins?"

"Not really."

"Why not?"

"They used to be fat and juicy, and now they're twisted. Well, they taste sweet, but really they're just humiliated grapes." 

"Did you have to go to school for that?"

"No, no. I got thrown out of school for that."

"Now, there's something I want you to do for me."   "Never. I am a lady. Not if you were a hundred years old, not if I was a hundred years old..."       "Calm down. I don't want to go to bed with you, lady."     "Why not?"      "Why - Why not? I'd be too frightened. God knows what parts of me you'd steal. I'd wake up with all sorts of things missing."

"Lord... whatever I've done to pi$$ you off... if you could just get me out of this and somehow let me know what it was I promise to rectify the situation."

"Now, there's something I want you to do for me."   "Never. I am a lady. Not if you were a hundred years old, not if I was a hundred years old..."       "Calm down. I don't want to go to bed with you, lady."     "Why not?"      "Why - Why not? I'd be too frightened. God knows what parts of me you'd steal. I'd wake up with all sorts of things missing."

"Lord... whatever I've done to pi$$ you off... if you could just get me out of this and somehow let me know what it was I promise to rectify the situation."

"You thought that was fast? I thought it was fast. Well, was it?"

"You know the next time you people come and drive us off our land I'm gonna find a nice piece of swamp that's so God-awful, maybe then you'll leave us the hell alone."

"What's greatest Western thrill of all?"  "Kill Indians."  "Kill Indians? Is it legal?" "Oh, white man been doing it for years."

On 7/11/2023 at 10:18 AM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Maverick?

George

That's it.  Maverick was suspicious  that Annie would steal from him if given 1/2 a chance.  She also thought he could quick-draw enough to impress a gunslinger.  Chief Joseph was cynical about being able to stay on his land without more settlers pushing him out- and he talked to the Russian about allegedly allowing him to shoot an Indian and kill him. 

"How nice of you to join us tonight and add COLOR to these monochromatic proceedings!"

"Well when a fella comes back from the dead, I find that an occasion to STAND UP and be counted!"

"Miss East informs me that you were expectin' to see General McGrath here. Well, I knew him years ago, but I haven't seen him in a COON's age!"

"Well, I can see where it'd be difficult for a man of your stature to keep in touch with even HALF the people you know."

"Well, perhaps the lovely Miss East will keep you from bein' a SLAVE to your disappointment!"

"Well, you know beautiful women; they encourage you one minute, and CUT THE LEGS OUT from under you the next!"

"You sawed-off sadistic bastard! You've betrayed us!"

"My dear General, having donated half of my physical being to create a weapon capable of doing this, how did you and General Lee repay my loyalty? You surrendered at Appomattox! So who betrayed whom?"

George

Forgot to answer this.     "WILD WILD WEST." 

(BTW, the South signed the surrender, not in the town of Appomattox, but rather the town of Appomattox Courthouse.   That town did itself also have a courthouse, but the surrender was not signed there. That's from "Lightning Never Strikes Twice(and other false facts.)")

"We meet at a crossroads in history. No longer will the wrong roads be taken."

"Now back to Gene Krupa's syncopated style."

"I would say he has quite a few problems. His energy seems to go in the wrong places. When I walked in and I saw you two sitting there, I could just tell by the way you were both relating that there was no connection whatsoever. And I felt when I walked in that there was something between us. There was an impulse that we were both following. So that gave me the right to come in and talk to you. Otherwise I never would have felt that I had the right to talk to you or say anything to you. I never would have had the courage to talk to you. And with him I felt there was nothing and I could sense it. When I walked in, I knew I was right. Did you feel that way?"

"June twenty-ninth. I gotta get in shape. Too much sitting has ruined my body. Too much abuse has gone on for too long. From now on there will be 50 pushups each morning, 50 pullups. There will be no more pills, no more bad food, no more destroyers of my body. From now on will be total organization. Every muscle must be tight. "

"We meet at a crossroads in history. No longer will the wrong roads be taken."

"Now back to Gene Krupa's syncopated style."

"I would say he has quite a few problems. His energy seems to go in the wrong places. When I walked in and I saw you two sitting there, I could just tell by the way you were both relating that there was no connection whatsoever. And I felt when I walked in that there was something between us. There was an impulse that we were both following. So that gave me the right to come in and talk to you. Otherwise I never would have felt that I had the right to talk to you or say anything to you. I never would have had the courage to talk to you. And with him I felt there was nothing and I could sense it. When I walked in, I knew I was right. Did you feel that way?"

"June twenty-ninth. I gotta get in shape. Too much sitting has ruined my body. Too much abuse has gone on for too long. From now on there will be 50 pushups each morning, 50 pullups. There will be no more pills, no more bad food, no more destroyers of my body. From now on will be total organization. Every muscle must be tight. "

"May 10. Thank God for the rain which has helped wash away the garbage and trash off the sidewalks. I'm working long hours now, six in the afternoon to six in the morning. Sometimes even eight in the morning, six days a week. Sometimes seven days a week. It's a long hustle but it keeps me real busy. I can take in three, three fifty a week. Sometimes even more when I do it off the meter. All the animals come out at night - whores, skunk pussies, buggers, queens, fairies, dopers, junkies, sick, venal. Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets. I go all over. I take people to the Bronx, Brooklyn, I take 'em to Harlem. I don't care. Don't make no difference to me. It does to some. Some won't even take spooks. Don't make no difference to me."

"Loneliness has followed me my whole life. Everywhere. In bars, in cars, sidewalks, stores, everywhere. There's no escape. I'm God's lonely man. June 8. My life has taken another turn again. The days can go on with regularity over and over, one day indistinguishable from the next. A long continuous chain. Then suddenly, there is a change."

"I called Betsy again at her office and she said maybe we'd go to a movie together after she gets off work tomorrow. That's my day off. At first she hesitated but I called her again and then she agreed. Betsy, Betsy. Oh no, Betsy what? I forgot to ask her last name again."

"Peace has cost you your strength! Victory has defeated you!"

"Why didn't you just... kill me?"

"You don't fear death... You welcome it. Your punishment must be more severe."

"Torture?"

"Yes. But not of your body... Of your soul."

"Well, congratulations! You got yourself caught! Now what's the next step in your master plan?"

"Crashing this plane... with no survivors!"

George

That first quote reminds me of something I read in a commentary of "The Art of War" (Sun Tzu's book.)  I'll paraphrase from memory.

The essence of the story was that a student observed a country that lost in a war, and asked his teacher what led to their defeat.  "Repeated victories in repeated wars."  He was confused- didn't victories make you stronger?   Not in this case.  Repeated wars weakened the country (wars tax their resources.)  Repeated victories made them cocky and arrogant.  Put the two together and that's a recipe for defeat in the next conflict.

"Peace has cost you your strength! Victory has defeated you!"

"Why didn't you just... kill me?"

"You don't fear death... You welcome it. Your punishment must be more severe."

"Torture?"

"Yes. But not of your body... Of your soul."

"Well, congratulations! You got yourself caught! Now what's the next step in your master plan?"

"Crashing this plane... with no survivors!"

"Calm down, Doctor! Now's not the time for fear. That comes later."

"My mother warned me about getting into cars with strange men."

"This isn't a car."

"I watched you die."

"I told you I was immortal."

George