GreaseSpot Cafe

Its/It's and There/Their/They're

GT

What a shock. I got 'em all right.

Well, you better have gotten them all right RAF, for you are a Journalist!

And, I got them all right. And geez, my self esteem is so "up there" at the moment. It gave me a good feeling of self worth...

And NOW, can we talk about "two, too, and to"? That one really bugs me.:"I saw that moron to!!" To what? I saw that moron "to the door" and kicked him out because I didn't like the movie? In fact, I think there were "too of them!" WTF? <_<

Edited by Jonny Lingo

As much as these bug me, they don't come close to the following:

"Should [would, could] of," instead of the proper, "should have" or "should've" causes me to wince.

"Could care less," instead of the proper "couldn't care less" drives me nuts.

This is my own private pet peeve.

Remember the days we used to say.....fewer calories, fewer cavities, fewer of any thing that could be counted as a single unit?

And then we'd say less water, less fat and less in general for anything that could not be counted as a single unit?

Well now-a-days it doesn't seem to matter and it bothers me. When I hear "less cavities", "less calories" I want to go scream.

yes Krys---the difference between a mass noun and a count noun and its modifier. ...we don't teach it...cuz its not in the text books, and most young teachers never learned it...because somewhere along the line, well, only publishers could figure out what we needed to learn.

Edited by washingtonweather

"Balls!" cried the Queen. If I had(two/to/too) I could be King.

The Jester laughed because he had(two/to/too).

A little boy answers a knock at the door only to be greeted by a salesman. The salesman asks to speak to the boys' mother. The little boy replies; "She ain't home." "Little boy", says the salesman, "Where is your grammar?" "Oh",says the little boy, "She's upstairs washin' her hair."

Try this one. Much to my chagrin I missed two.

Spelling test

I only missed one -- existence. I spelled it "existance."

That pesky "ence" vs. "ance" gets me (almost) all the time.

In 7th grade, I was the best speller in the class... but I remember often having a hard time with "necessary."

Then, when I was working for the newspaper, "cemetery" got me, until the boss got so irritated with me missing it, I had to remember.

I missed existence two (haha!).

But, I too was a spelling bee winner. But it was fourth grade. Once, in a mixed class of fourth to sixth graders we had a cool spelling bee. The way we did it was to split the three classes down the middle with equal mounts of fourth, fifth, and sixth graders on each side of the room. And then we commenced, going down the line. After not too long, everyone on my side was gone but me. And then, I whittled down the whole other side except for sixth grader Tracy Schlecter. And then it was a face off. And I never beat her. But, she never beat me. It went on untill the bell rang and school was out. And so, our teacher proclaimed us both the winners. I felt great because I was but a fourth grader, and Tracy the sixth grader was one of the brightest in school. I shook her hand and she congratulated me, and it was like reaaly cool. :)

Edited by Jonny Lingo