GreaseSpot Cafe

Organ Donation

Shellon

Just my curiousity Rocky, wondering who is an organ or tissue donor.

I can not address your concerns with the system, no. Whether or not you should or shouldn't be is a personal choice.

Edited by Shellon Fockler-North

When my first wife died, they harvested some of her organs (I know they got her corneas and some bone, but am not sure what else). (i.e., she was a donor)

Hospital bills came in TO ME (for use of operating room, supplies, etc.)

Yes, the organ harvestors eventually paid the bills...it wasn't immediate but they did pay...but the couple of months they took to pay was very nerve wracking to me. Obviously my health insurance stopped the minute she was declared dead...thus the insurance wasn't going to pay.

When I, as the surviving spouse, signed my consent, I was not of the presence of mind to ask the financial questions. I am not sure I would have known at the time what to ask and what to look for on the papers I signed. I don't even have a copy of it any more to look (I don't even remember if I asked for a copy of the papers).

I guess that's one thing to keep in mind if your SPOUSE or unmarried child is a donor. Make sure you take the time to read the papers. They will pressure you to sign without reading. Don't. And make sure that a copy of EVERYTHING is made available to you before you sign. (You will forget and they won't worry about it once your signature is on the documents)

Of course, my experience is about 18 years ago, so things may be a whole lot smoother now.

FWIW.

http://www.4woman.gov/faq/organ_donation.htm

A resource I use often when this comes up

Does the donor's family have to pay for the cost of organ donation?

No. The donor's family neither pays for, nor receives payment for organ and tissue donation. The transplant recipient's health insurance policy, Medicare, or Medicaid usually covers the cost of transplant

. Edited by Shellon Fockler-North

I'm just relating my real-world experience with this.

Maybe that explains the delay in payment though.

Bottom line is that it got paid.

My advice to people remains the same: if you are the surviving responsible person (spouse, parent, or whatever), make sure that you have something in your hands that says that somebody else assumes financial responsibility for the harvesting...and keep a copy.

When my brother died, about 15 years ago, I was the lead person in taking care of business, and settling his estate (very small estate). My brother was NOT a donor. And if he had been, his organs (even at age 36) would have been in no condition for use in a transplant. However, I have always felt that the funeral home was doing some unlawful harvesting and selling of body parts. We were not even allowed to watch them seal the casket with my brother in it. That has ALWAYS bothered me.

Then, two months shy of 10 years ago, my dad died. I had little to do with the arrangements, other than to go to his home town (Rochester NY) to grieve with the rest of the family. He and we were treated with 100 percent greater respect by the funeral home there. They made sure we were there to witness them closing and sealing the casket.

Both my dad and brother died from heart disease. Dad was 66, bro was 36. Anything that could be used from their bodies would have been in some undesignated "research." And while that is certainly a good thing, overall, I just couldn't see either of them being treated like "things" instead of people deserving of respect.

I can see the value of a young person, who perishes from some sort of tragic cause other than disease processes, donating organs that can give life to another person. But overall, I believe there is just too little control over what happens and too little of the true facts of what happens to people who donate -- other than when it's obvious that certain organs would be suitable for transplanting in someone who could then live a long (hopefully) healthy life.

Of course, the fact that the subject comes up from time to time on crime drama tv shows (i.e. CSI and Law & Order series), doesn't help me develop any confidence in the systems and processes.

Mark,

What a horrible experience you had to go through. I'm so sorry.

Rocky,

Funeral homes selling body parts? Eww! I have a friend who is a mortician. I'm going to ask her if she 's heard any stories of illegal activities.

I have an organ donor sticker on my driver's license, but I think whether or not its honored is up to my next of kin. The hospitals can't do anything without their permission. I just don't like the idea of my body laying in the ground when someone can use it for something useful, even if its just to let a student learn how to make incisions.

I was engaged to a man that died suddenly of a bicycle accident. His father had been the 2nd heart transplant recipient in the state of WI. My former fiance's belief in organ donation helped 4 different people - he was a heavy smoker or he could have donated more. It brought his family much comfort to know his death helped others.

A few years later I went to work for a Medical Examiner. I observed several cornea harvests. I beileve there was no charge to the family for that or for organ harvesting. I worked there from '97-'01.

However, there was a charge to families that offered their deceased loved ones' bodies to be transported to Gainesville where they did scientific research on the cadavers. That was shocking to me.

Yes, I'm listed on my driver's license as a donor, but it's absolutely up to the next of kin whether or not they honor that. As soon as you die, you lose all your rights and they (your rights) become the next of kin's.

Moral of the story is to choose your Personal Representative or Power of Attorney wisely. Make sure it's someone who will honor your wishes if it matters to you.

I worked in a funeral home/crematory for 2 years before working for the ME and I saw unspeakable things people did - totally contrary to the decedent's written wishes sometimes.

When my brother died his organs were used for 5 different people. I have considered following thru to see if I could learn who they were. The organ donation foundation (whatever they are called) sent a framed plaque to my parents where it was placed on the table next to personal copies of the words I said at his memorial which included the most recent picture we had of him by his truck (he drove for CR England). It brought me comfort to know someone else lived because of him.

When my sister died my mother and I were in my sister and brother-in-laws bedroom along with her two small boys and my brother-in-law and as we went thru her personal things and made decisions what to do with them her youngest son while empting her purse pulled out her wallet and saw she was an organ donor. He said "mommy was an organ donor but that wasn't done was it daddy" to which he replied "mommy was full of cancer son, there was nothing that could have been saved".

I am an organ donor

Edited by ChattyKathy

Yeah, I've had the "donor" thingy checked on my driver's license for years now, but, as a few have already stated, I'm not sure just what they'll even want at this point.

I've heard that after age 50 or so, they don't harvest any of the large organs as it just isn't worth the bother. Who's going to want to go through all the risk and expense of a transplant to get an organ that's pretty well beat up already?

I guess tissues and corneas and stuff like that hold up a little better, and they're welcome to 'em, once I'm done with them.

For that matter they could use me for an anchor, doorstop, or dartboard, whaddu I care?

Maybe your skin for burn patients?

My papers say give any of me if anything is viable and useful then I go to UofM for medical students. Then what's left of me will be cremated and stuck in the ground where my husband is already buried.

Yeah, I'll be dead and I won't care or know, but maybe a kid will see for the first time or someone with horrible scars will have his/her grafting aided, a kidney might save a life.

I was recently typed for bone marrow donation for a local man who needs that transplant and there was no match, but it sure felt great to offer.

I think it's one of those things we don't like to talk about and then in a tragedy situation we're faced with it. I regret when Bob died, I didn't ask about it, but as Mark suggested, we don't think about those things at that time.

I've always just wanted my whole body donated to a medical school for research and whatnot... Anything they can learn from my body or glean to help others' lives... I'm all for it. My whole family knows how I feel about that, too. *shrug* I also just don't see any profit or reasoning behind filling up a bunch of land with dead bodies and expensive boxes.

Mark, I'm sorry you had so much trouble. How awful to have to be grieving and fighting all that crap at the same time.

Shellon, I was under the impression that they paid for everything - including transportation of the body, when it's donated. I'm going to have to look into that. My little brother is my beneficiary and Power of Attorney. I've already told him not to worry about the body and to just make sure there's a kick foot keg party & roast in my memory. :spy:

when my best friend's dad who was 82,had a cornea transplant,i

told him if hever looked at me in a strange way

no more beers for him

the cornea came from a 16 year old girl many states away

she is gone

he can see

what a wonderful gift

I used to be, but I doubt that I will ever be fully free from Lyme disease, and wouldn't want to pass it along via a transplant. The Infectious Diseases Society has recently decreed that there is no such thing as chronic Lyme, only post-Lyme syndrome, but the Red Cross has said that chronic Lyme patients can't donate blood.

I was thinking of donating my brain, however, seeing how it's hardly ever been used.... :D

-- Shaz

Yes, I am an organ donor. Actually having my entire body donated to the nearest medical school to where I die. Both my parents (a physician and a nurse) donated their bodies to the UNC Medical School in Chapel Hill, NC. Each had made the decision to do that while they were in school because of all the learning gained from working with the bodies, tissue research, etc. We (the family) did have to pay for the transportation from the funeral home to Chapel Hill, a couple hundred bucks, I think. I think it was money well spent.

Suda

I am too. Even though I also have a chronic disease, my corneas and skin can be harvested and used...and maybe also bone. I'm still thinking about the rest of me...although the scientist in me says let them use whatever they want to further research....I'm not sure whether that is the best tack at this point.

I also have myself on a list for clinical trials. They may or may not help me...but many before me have done so, and I am a benificiary of their willingness, so I believe in paying it forward!

You don't have to answer if its too personal, Zshot, but what does being in Germany have to do with donating blood?

I can answer that.

I was stationed in Italy at the same time and can't donate blood either. They have a permanent prohibition on people living in certain countries from donating blood, because of the mad cow disease that was going on in Europe at the time. (Called BSE)