GreaseSpot Cafe

Two inches of ice

rhino

Wow ... we got a little ice first, still OK down our half mile lane ... then an inch and a half of compacted sleet ... still rough enough to get traction and OK for walking, but you don't even break through the crust. Then another quarter inch ice ... Now that is bad ... we ain't goin' nowhere ...

But we have power ... I need the generator and a better supply of wood after this, since this is the second big icing we've had this winter.

Are you guys in this icy mess getting out ? ...

Have you lost power (and recovered, if you are posting here I guess) ?

I'm north of St Louis a ways ...

Rhino,

Carol and I are south of you.. in Memphis. Your cold front is headed this way and while the outside temps have been Spring like this week.. its supposed to be 'lows in the 20's' by tomorrow. Why can't you guys just keep it up there? Why do you have to send it down here to make ALL of us cold?? :P

sudo

Sleet, freezing drizzle, snow, rain on top of it all...glazed streets!

But we live on a street that the maintenance crews use for a turnaround and a resting spot...so our street is often the first side street to get salted and sanded. :)

It's COLD, though. Not so bad today...up in the low 20s. According to Weather Bug, KC's highs and lows will both be lower than Anchorage's highs and lows all week. Sigh.

Last week was early May type of weather.

We did not get the ice as bad as your way Rhino but we did get some. I think I could get out and around but doubt I will. Power and heat are fine. Just put on a pot of vegetable soup to cook ,some bread in the machine, and some logs on the fire. I will enjoy the next couple of days of reading, watching movies, playing on the computer, and of course drinking coffee with Irish Cream. I figure I could do alright for about three weeks to a month if I had to. I doubt I will need them but I dug out the propane stoves and coffee pot as well as the portable propane shower. Hope all are staying well and warm.

Im in NC enjoying global warming, at 70 degree's. I am going to finish painting the outside storm door on back of house,mght as well take advantage. Im off tomorrow for good ole,Mr.King Day, so I will work in attic. Sudo, Im on the other side of mountains from you, I hear we are suppose to drop to below 30 this coming week, of course, thats night time temps.

They sell spikes for the bottom of boots, for traction. Almost bought a couple of pairs for my daughter and son n law in NH..they hit 70 last week too!

Likeaneagle,

Re:"Sudo, Im on the other side of mountains from you, I hear we are suppose to drop to below 30 this coming week, of course, thats night time temps."

That's surprising. Ya'll are usually quite a bit colder than we are. Our middle daughter is in Knoxville (closer to you than to us) visiting UT where she might attend next year and she had packed Winter clothes. Silly her. Thinking it might be cold in January Hee-hee!

sudo

Just got a whole bunch of sleet that glazed the streets pretty well. Our neighbor just tried to get off our block...wasn't successful. Well, along about 10pm those street crews will be down here turning around and/or resting a spell. :) Guess I could take them some hot cocoa...?

In the meantime, I'm crocheting, reading/posting here, watching an odd movie, and staying warm with my hot cocoa. :) I LOVE winter!

Well, we walked the dogs earlier this morning and the streets were fine, but there were/are icicles on the trees and bushes. In fact, one of my nandinas has a couple of brances bent to the ground under the weight of the ice. T-Bone and I have had Irish coffee throughout the afternoon and he built a fire so it's a great day to be inside. I would love to play hookey from work tomorrow, but the worst part of the sleet and ice is supposed to be to the north and west of us so I guess I'll have to be a good little employee and show up.

Balmy down here. Vixen and I hiked through the woods and played in the creek on Saturday. It was so nice and the water so cool that we went back yesterday. I just wish it would get cold enough to kill off the mosquitos. They were big as mocking birds!

I'll be mowing the yard this afternoon and grilling out tonight. It sure would be nice to be able turn the ac off for a change. I miss the seasons.... I really and truly miss the changing seasons. :( Don't want the snow and ice, though. Y'all can have that. Miss'ippi, Bama and Jawja get cold enough without the white stuff.

Edited by Belle

Rhino,

North of you in this wonderful state, we got two inch of icy rain then snow, Just glad we don't have to go anywhere for this holiday. We are snug as a bug in a rug. :biglaugh:

4:30 this morning was like getting up in the bush in Alaska...cold, dark and running for the stove to get warm after coming out from under three comforters on the bed. Somebody had turned down the stove!!!!! (We don't use conventional central heat in our house...we use an old fashioned gas stove...one of those sitting in the middle of the room and can cook on the top type of things.)

Glad we didn't have to go out to the woodpile or outhouse! :biglaugh:

Our street was nicely sanded, though. :)

I wish we'd get that big snowflake snow. These little things aren't as fluffy and are not as good to eat. When we lived in Alaska we learned how to make snow shakes...a big cup of fresh snow, packed pretty good into the cup, add chocolate syrup and milk. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Glad most seem to be fairing fairly well.

I finally got out today ... the ground was warm and the top ice layer acted like a roof, so the crust under that melted. The ice was finally soft enough that the tractor tires bit in. I scraped the scoop of the old tractor along to get some gravel up so I don't slide off the bridge into the creek, and I can get enough momentum to get up the hill. :)

My winter at Gunnison wasn't bad ... it was mild that year and I got to work with horses, which largely meant prying frozen poop off the ground and throwing it in the trailer behind the little jeep (I think it was) The solitude and the mountain view was kinda nice actually ...

But I prefer being out of the cult ... :wave: it was really all a bunch of horse sheet ...

Oh, and I had a dream last night ... TJ and excie were riding in a sleigh ... there was horse hockey all over ... and spiders crawling out of the of the horse sheet ... and excie threw tj out of the sleigh and he was skitchin through the sheet .. and she said .. you drug us through your sheet .. now it's your turn ... and some kid was skating alongside, doing little slapshots at tj with the horse hockey pucks, and they kept slappin' him in the head ...

what does that mean? :evildenk:

I would prefer interpreters that are at least 60% correct ... if you are a prophet / interpreteur in training, please put your interp's in italics, and note how much drambuie you have imbibed ...

Edited by rhino