GreaseSpot Cafe

"Giving it up for Lent"

markomalley

I'm sure all of the ex-Catholics on this board can empathize with the concept of giving something up for Lent.

Lent is supposed to be a time of spiritual reflection and self-denial that many Christians participate in order to mentally and spritiually prepare themselves for Easter.

As I'm sure is common knowledge, today is Fat Tuesday...the day when families are supposed to clean the yummy stuff out of their kitchens in preparation for the Lenten fast.

In previous years, I would have done up some long post explaining the history of the fast and the scriptural basis for it. But I understand that the vast majority of you either already know about it or aren't interested or both. So I won't waste my time in writing, your time in reading, or Paw's bandwidth in posting.

A lot of people give up beer, candy, cigarettes, soda pop, and so on for Lent. Some folks use it as an excuse to go on a diet.

Me, I like to examine my conscience and see what has been drawing me away from God and see about abstaining from that for a while.

(Yes, I'll give up something dietary, also, but that's easy)

Without a doubt, the first thing that aggrevates me is the news. As may appear to be a surprise to those that view the 'tacks board, it's not so much the Congress thing, but the world in general that is really aggrevating.

So the news is going off for the next few weeks.

The next thing is wasting a whole bunch of time on message boards. Not just this one. I waste literally hours a day that could be far more constructively used in almost any other pursuit.

So message boards are also on the list for the next few weeks. Including this one.

Bottom line is that I will most likely see you all sometime in April.

Enjoy. Talk among yourselves.

Without a doubt, the first thing that aggrevates me is the news. As may appear to be a surprise to those that view the 'tacks board, it's not so much the Congress thing, but the world in general that is really aggrevating.

So the news is going off for the next few weeks.

Bbbbutttt MarkO! :blink: there are sooooooo many juicy stories in the news today!!

Like.... we found out that the University of Minn is planning to award Al Gore an honorary doctorate for his work on climatology... and that the magazine Editor and Publisher disclosed the latest Gallup Poll claiming that more Americans would be willing to elect a woman (Hillary) or a Black (Barack) than a 72 year old (McCain), or a MORMON (MITT) or someone divorced twice and remarried to his third wife (Rudy G)... and that Drudge reports that:

By a 53 percent - 46 percent margin, respondents surveyed said that

Democrats are going too far, too fast in pressing the President to withdraw

troops from Iraq.

So much for "your" "slow bleed" notion... oh, yeah, that's a Bush administration idiot... er, idiom. (sorry).

Edited by Rocky

Be well Mark

Memento homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

Yet even now, says the Lord,

return to me with all your heart,

with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning;

rend your hearts and not your clothing.

Return to the Lord, your God,

for he is gracious and merciful,

slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love,

and relents from punishing.

Who knows whether he will not turn and relent,

and leave a blessing behind him,

a grain-offering and a drink-offering

for the Lord, your God?

Blow the trumpet in Zion;

sanctify a fast;

call a solemn assembly;

gather the people.

Sanctify the congregation;

assemble the aged;

gather the children,

even infants at the breast.

Let the bridegroom leave his room,

and the bride her canopy.

Between the vestibule and the altar

let the priests, the ministers of the Lord, weep.

Let them say, ‘Spare your people, O Lord,

and do not make your heritage a mockery,

a byword among the nations.

Why should it be said among the peoples,

“Where is their God?”

Joel 2:12-17

From Daily Catholic (dot) Org

http://www.dailycatholic.org/issue/04Feb/feb29qds.htm

The ashes are also a sign of our mortality. As the priest traces the ashes on our forehead in the sign of a cross, he says, Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris - that is, Remember, man, that thou art dust, and unto dust thou shalt return (Gen. 3:19). Those were the terrible words spoken to Adam after his fall, and through him, to us. It is because of Adam's sin that we have need of an Ash Wednesday, which necessarily takes us to Good Friday's Passion, and ultimately leads us to Resurrection Sunday.

From Daily Catholic (dot) Org

http://www.dailycatholic.org/issue/04Feb/feb29qds.htm

The ashes are also a sign of our mortality. As the priest traces the ashes on our forehead in the sign of a cross, he says, Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris - that is, Remember, man, that thou art dust, and unto dust thou shalt return (Gen. 3:19). Those were the terrible words spoken to Adam after his fall, and through him, to us. It is because of Adam's sin that we have need of an Ash Wednesday, which necessarily takes us to Good Friday's Passion, and ultimately leads us to Resurrection Sunday.

Yes it is -- and though I'm not in agreement with the Catholic tradition about this these days,

I applaud Mark for following his convictions during the Lenten season.

I used to do the same (adhering to church doctrine), as a Catholic.

Remembering that we are made from dust, is not a bad thing.

Putting thoughts and perspectives on a higher plane, can only benefit ---

no matter from what pew, or from what church you come from.

I agree David I don't much care what people choose to do these days as long as they don't try to force or impose it on others like they did on us defenseless children growing up. I see no Biblical commandment as to this practice for the church today. I can pretty much get the dust idea from driving by the cemetery anyway. When we were little we used to have to attend mass every day if you were dropped off to school early. We used to skip church and hang out at the drugstore and blend back in line on the playground. On ash Wednesday we forgot about the ash thing so we tried covering our tracks with a cigarette butt, only it did not last very long and we were busted, before we could eat the candy evidence in our pockets. So every Lent I make it a point to eat candy in remembrance of my time in the cult, I find it very freeing! We used to call it lint when the nuns were not around, which given the fact that certain groups of males like to "brush the lint off your pants" perhaps in reflection there was a closer parallel than we knew with the church. That said If depriving oneself of food or other things ,flogging themselves with a whip, or other traditions makes one feel happy or spiritual in life, have at it. Me personally I gave up Lent for Lent years ago, I gotta go a Snickers is calling me.

I also gave up giving up things for Lent for Lent.

Mark, maybe you can bring me up to speed on present RC requirements. The last time I checked, Ash Wednesday and Good Friday were days of fast and abstinence. No meat, and "fasting" meant only three meals that day, the largest of which being more than the other two together. (It was intended that one had one light meal and two others just to maintain bodily strength, although one could fulfill the letter of the law by having two decent meals and then glutting oneself at the third!) Also, are Fridays in Lent still days of abstinence?

George

Yes it is -- and though I'm not in agreement with the Catholic tradition about this these days,

I applaud Mark for following his convictions during the Lenten season.

I used to do the same (adhering to church doctrine), as a Catholic.

Remembering that we are made from dust, is not a bad thing.

Putting thoughts and perspectives on a higher plane, can only benefit ---

no matter from what pew, or from what church you come from.

I am not Catholic and never have been, but I can appreciate the need to reassess yourself and burn the chaff so to speak that has crept into your life over the course of a year. It's one of the natural needs and rhythms of life (well...except for those who have 'arrived').

I have never fasted according to a church calendar, or to the dictates of anyone really , but I usually fast once or twice a year, and find for me it is a good thing

i used to always give up important "stuff" for lent.... would write it all down and keep to it.... thinking it was the least i could do because of what jesus christ did for me....

i went to mass or church every day, not just during lent, but through the years

sadly, i realized the catholic church is not what i thought it was

but i still always think about what jesus christ did for me

i'm sure the stations would still make me cry

My secretary is a devout Catholic. She told me today that she is giving up "red wine" for Lent.

I fasted against the war in December - two weeks on 8 oz a day of tofu (with marinara sauce).

I might do something like that again (first one didn't work - war still on)

but have had too many work/social engagements this week involving meals.

excuses, excuses right?

I'm already partially vegetarian - tho I do eat fish.

Peace,

Chris

I am also partially a vegitarian. The other part of me, though, is a total carnivore. :biglaugh:

I respect what Mark is doing. Although, I am sure he is aware that it seems many people participate in Lent in a very superficial way. That is just silliness, IMO. A time of honest introspection and living without certain frivolous toys and excesses is a good thing. I should probably do it regularly.

An Irishman by the name of Paul McLean moves into a tiny hamlet in County Kerry, walks into the pub and promptly orders three beers. The bartender raises his eyebrows, but serves the man three beers, which he drinks quietly at a table, alone.

An hour later, the man has finished the three beers and orders three more. This happens yet again. The next evening the man again orders and drinks three beers at a time, several times. Soon the entire town is whispering about the Man Who Orders Three Beers.

Finally, a week later, the bartender broaches the subject on behalf of the town. "I don't mean to pry, but folks around here are wondering why you always order three beers."

"'Tis odd, isn't it?" the man replies. "You see, I have two brothers, and one went to America, and the other to Australia. We promised each other that we would always order an extra two beers whenever we drank as a way of keeping up the family bond."

The bartender and the whole town was pleased with this answer, and soon the Man Who Orders Three Beers became a local celebrity and source of pride to the hamlet, even to the extent that out-of-towners would come to watch him drink .

Then, one day, the man comes in and orders only two beers. The bartender pours them with a heavy heart. This continues for the rest of the evening -- he orders only two beers. Word flies around town. Prayers are offered for the soul of one of the brothers.

The next day, the bartender says to the man, "Folks around here, me first of all, want to offer condolences to you for the death of your brother. You know -- the two beers and all..."

The man ponders this for a moment, then replies, "You'll be happy to hear that my two brothers are alive and well. It's just that I, meself, have decided to give up drinking for Lent."

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all for the good wishes. It turned out to be a somewhat successful Lent for me.

Luke 9:23 "And he said to all, 'If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.'"

Giving up GSC for Lent turned out to be a very valuable spiritual endeavor for me. I was getting far too wrapped around the axle about things that really don't matter one way or the other. We can see from a quick scan of the threads started in my absence that not much has changed. TWI is still a spiritual hole. VPW still was a womanizer and a plagerist. Politics are still the same. People still have needs that they'd like intercessory prayer for. The skeptics think it's all a bunch of BS. And, according to some, Jesus is not the Second Person of the Trinity...according to others, He is. People still argue their points of view, some more effectively than others, and only on the rarest of occasions is somebody actually convinced that he should change his mind about any one issue one way or the other.

Regardless of the issue.

And I think that this is the biggest thing I got out of this year's Lenten exercises. That it really just doesn't matter one way or the other. It is what it is and neither my brilliance nor my logical skills nor my superior use of rhetoric is going to change anything. And so maybe rather than becoming all puffed up with my own genius, I should humble myself before God and let God's will be done rather than the will of M. O'Malley.

And perhaps I should take My Lord's advice (And he said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men."). Perhaps I should concentrate on being a fisher of men more so than a hunter of men. In other words, just to cast the nets and whoever responds, responds. Rather than tracking my prey with my innate skills and overpowering that prey with superior strength and/ or firepower.

But, to repeat, I do appreciate the good thoughts, well wishes, and prayers this Lenten season.

... and neither my brilliance nor my logical skills nor my superior use of rhetoric is going to change anything.

And your humility. Don't forget your humility. ;)

In any event, welcome back dude. :spy:

It's always good to stop and reflect!

Ok, then - Mr. O'Malley - let's see what you've got. Cast out your nets, I'm interested in seeing what becomes of it [and if some of you who like being blathering idiots - would please go blather over there -------> I'd really be blessed 'cause this is a serious post on my part]