GreaseSpot Cafe

Should she go to Jail?

Dot Matrix

Chatty, I have to agree about love the creator more than the creation.

Sorry that this isn't the right place for what I have to post. Of course the control freak lefties always have that attitude when the subject doesn't go their way. (Not about you Dot)

The question to me isn't who suffers how, rather I will not go to jail for your neglect or abuse of an animal, but I would risk jail for a baby. Other words, your dog is not worth a trip to jail for me.

Criminal activity should be punished no matter how "right" people perceive the reason for the violation.

And I have been charged head on by a bull.

Control freak lefties? Talk about an oxymoron!

Who gave you the idea that rescuing an animal from an abusive/neglect situation would put you in jail? That's insane.

The question regarding the issue of refusing to allow breaking of the window to rescue pets is this -- HOW LONG did you have to wait before you got a policeman to pop the lock?

IF the dog was suffering heat related illness or distress ALREADY, and you prevented the rescue, and it took more than a minute or two before the cop popped the lock, then you have a SERIOUS deficiency in your capacity for empathy.

And THAT is a serious marker for potential abuse in (by) a person -- lack of empathy.

OOO Tape has something on me, Maybe he looked up my past and saw I got arrested for kicking a cop in the balls. (10 years ago) Hey, I work for an attorney and HE knows that.

That's partly the reason he hired me.

FWIW, my daughter (now 17), when she was 13, got suspended from school (only a day or so) for kicking a boy in the nuts. The kid had been teasing her. Needless to say, none of the boys did THAT anymore.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Hap, I'm a bit unclear as to what the woman was charged with and why. If it's because she refused to return the dog to its rightful owners, then perhaps there's a neutral agency who could take custody. If she refused that, then why?

If it's strictly an issue of trespass to obtain the dog, then I'm with Ductape on this. But that's with great reservation due to a lack of information.

The whole story, as presented, leaves a lot open to question.

This may be off topic, but I'd like to register a complaint to all those concerned with animals.

I live along that long dirt road that city folks drive down to abandon unwanted pets. As a result, dogs tend to congregate and become a nuisance, leaving my neighbors and I little choice but to just shoot them.

Your unwanted pet soon reverts to the wild and forms packs with other dogs, left along the same road, and they become a threat to kids and livestock. I even had one a few years back that went through and dug up and ate all my bell peppers (?) and okra.

I guess I've shot as many as 20 such dogs over the past few years...including a pit bull that had the temerity to come after a 7 year old Andrew, teeth showing and growling. I must admit I got excited, ran inside and grabbed my SKS and emptied a 20 rd. mag into it...what a mess I had to clean up...and what a sight it was...Andrew running, crying and screaming, me firing away and the dog...well...the dog coming apart.

It happened again just last week...a pack of dogs went after my chickens and killed 5 of them. I got two of them, but a huge German Shepherd got away. As I was piling the carcasses and brush to burn them, I noticed the big brown dog had a scar on its neck where a collar once was...and had, evidently, grown into the flesh of the dog.

For you "animal rights" types, remember...chickens are animals, too and they deserve to live...as do our goats, calves and other livestock.

I dunno exactly what the point to this is except there must be better ways for people to rid themselves of unwanted pets. Maybe you who crusade can do something about this. But if they MUST persist in this, then leave boxes of ammunition out for us, too... It's more humane than letting them starve.

I use .22, .30 M1, and 7.62x.39

Frank M. uses 12 ga and .22

Howard uses .30-.30 and .22

Frank W. uses .270 and .308

Wayne M. uses 7.62x.39

We've all talked about this a lot and wish city folks would/could find a better way...we're sick of it.

Back to the regularly scheduled topic.

Excellent points Rocky. And as for this.

FWIW, my daughter (now 17), when she was 13, got suspended from school (only a day or so) for kicking a boy in the nuts. The kid had been teasing her. Needless to say, none of the boys did THAT anymore.

Too funny. :eusa_clap:

However I wouldn't recommend doing that to a cop. They don't like that. :biglaugh:

exie your too fun.

RonG I can see where you are coming from as well. They had a similar incident in a nearby state as well, Wisconsin or Michigan perhaps? Where people where shooting feral cats. There were loads of them.

It all comes down to people’s irresponsibility in breeding. Every homeless, neglected, domesticated animal that is here is because of some persons irresponsibility, somewhere down the line. Period.

I could probably get that point across better if I didn't become so damn frustrated and angry about it. But I just feel there is enough information out there for people to know already. How many times have I been walking my rottygrrrl and someone asks me if I would be interested in breeding her (yeah right, like I need that) and I say "No, she's spayed," And they shake their head and say "That's too bad, you shouldn't have done that."

People really need to take a trip to the local humane society and see just how many dogs and cats get put down every damn day. Sigh.

Edited by RottieGrrrl

And on a side note, I don't think we would have any need for animal rights groups, if people would use their heads and acted responsibly when it came to animals. The education is out there. But people can be ignorant, foolish, cruel, whatever and that is why these groups exist.

But people can be ignorant, foolish, cruel, whatever and that is why these groups exist.

That, and let's not forget, CORPORATE GREED! ;)

And Ron... I think the heart of the discussion had to do with more urban issues, but what I read in your post is that you put thought into what would be a humane way to deal with what you obviously HAVE TO deal with. That's far different from someone being unable to experience empathy and compassion for a pet that's subject to heat related illness or other confinement abuse and neglect. So, I can't imagine doing anything different than you in what you have with your rural environment.

I question that all the strays are dumped, for many a city dweller claims the right of their pets to roam free. Doggies choose a life without shelter and regular food to run free, animal kingdom and all.

My bleeding heart liberal sibling joined in causes like animal rights and still keeps 2 rather large dogs and numerous cats. But one of her big lugs is hyper and wags it tail to destruction. That in itself is fine, but she now has these precious babies that will call her grandma when they grow some. The big lug Copper goes out on his chain to save the babies from damage of the tail or being knocked over in excitement. Now Copper has a dog house, can reach a great covered porch, is given water numerous times a day (he likes to tip the dish over) and never goes without food.

Sister's neighbor decided that the poor dog out there in the cold was abuse and Copper got a visit from animal control. Animal control officer was upset when other huge mellow dog was in the warm house and decided to take Copper away. The only thing that saved Copper, whom sister had rescued from animal shelter sure death, was that animal control is county there, sister is city police dispatcher, new animal control officer oops big time.

Copper gets to come in as soon as the babies go home. That is just one more story I am full of where rights of decent animal lovers are violated by an over reactive animal rights activists.

Preface, I read the story but did not watch the video.

My impression is that this is a dog with health problems (I didn't see the dogs estimated age anywhere, but there were references to a boney growth and a tumor). A sick dog or a dog that is in pain usually won't eat very well, thus leading to malnutrition.

It is entirely possible that the animal control angency investigated the owners and found they were not abusive, and thus requested this woman to give the dog back. It is entirely possible the only "wrong doing" on the part of the owners was to be emotionally attached and unable to reach the decisions that it was time to put the dog down. I can understand that, it was a tough decision for us when we had to do it too. If someone had come to our home and seen Scrappy, he would have looked malnourished and sick. He was. He was also well cared for and much loved for his entire 16 plus years of life.

There is simply not enough information to form an opinion. The media has a tendency to be onesided these days. Such stories sell, and thus make money.

Abi, that was a very interesting experience and possible insight into this case.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

And Rottie hit on something and that being there wouldn't need to be these groups if folks weren't being cruel. But where some of those groups has gone is placing the animals rights over the rights of the person as has been proven. Extremes do that it appears.

Here's a video of the dog, (Doogie) a little over a month after being rescued.

Its a sweet one, so don't be afraid to watch.

There's a big difference between this video, and the one where Doogie couldn't even stand before his rescue. I find it hard to believe that his original home provided for his needs.

Man. :( How sad is that? That poor precious thing. What the hell did his previous "caregivers" do to him? Thank God literally he was delivered into a loving home.

That video still bugged me though because your heart breaks because you can just imagine what hell that dog must have gone through, what must he have been like before? Miserable and stressed out and wanting to please his master. Damn phuking people. Sometimes I think we should bring back the torture chamber. :realmad:

I know folks can go overboard on their focus of pets at times but I also know that when the world is caving in around you that pet can be the one safe thing you can love and be loved back from. It really is sad to abuse them (having nothing to do with extremist or rights movements).

Jake's owners, Steve and Lori Arnold, who have other dogs, came home to find Jake missing. They tracked down Grimes, who was promptly arrested for trespassing and theft. She still refuses to tell the Arnolds where their dog is.

The Arnolds admit Jake is old and suffering from arthritis and say they were about to have him put to sleep. But they deny he was lying on the ground for three days, and also deny that he was being neglected.

A little of the other side of the story. Jake was 17 when this happened.

Edited by Ductape

Since this story started back in early September 2006, does anyone know yet what the outcome was? Here is a link to an article back then in the area newspaper:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06264/723544-62.stm

whoops, never mind, I see that Jake died March 1st, peacefully it is said. Charges are still pending against the lady.

http://www.care2.com/c2c/groups/disc.html?...&pst=674475

I still don't agree you should steal to accomplish the goal of protection for someone or something as a first resort so there has to be a way to take care of it within the laws of the land. As much as I would like to seek out someone trying to harm me presently I still know I have to follow the proper guidelines in place which Shell so graciously has encouraged me to in private. And I can't believe this radical thinking woman is saying these things. :blink:

(now I need to click on another link in the Guitar thread)