GreaseSpot Cafe

a man with a ministry

excathedra

Excathedra,

This all I could find and it seem shallow!

Ministry: Profession and services of a religious minister

It says for minister: to give something,help or aid to one who is in need; in accordance to specific professional knowledge in some cases, but indicates that professional knowledge or training is not always required.

In my opinion: This screams Always check credendials!

Hey, I'm pouring as fast as I can! From a purely denotative definition, a policeman is a man with a ministry. We serve and protect, right. Ditto military, medical, social workers, etc. But, biblically, a man with a ministry is a man who is tapped by God to perform a service, whether it's recognized by a religious credible organization or not.

Ok – if you’re gonna put us on the spot like that, Excathedra :rolleyes: – I’ll have to resort to my ol’ standby – quote from a book. Under Ministry in Evangelical Dictionary of Theology, editor Walter Elwell, page 721:

“The biblical concept of ministry is service rendered to God or to people. Ministry in the church has as its goal the edification of individuals with a view toward corporate maturity in Christ [Ephesians 4:7-16].

The concept of ministry as service is seen in words diakoneo [“serve”] and douleuo [“serve as a slave”] and their corresponding nouns. The word hyperetes indicates one who gives willing service to another – e.g., servants of the “word” [Luke 1:2], of Christ [John 18:36; Acts 26:16; I Corinthians 4:1], of Christ [John 18:36; Acts 26:16; I Corinthians 4:1], and of Paul and Barnabus [Acts 13:5].

The word leitourgia, and its corresponding verb, leitourgeo, often refer to the priestly service in the OT. They are used figuratively in the NT to indicate financial “ministry” [Romans 15:27; II Corinthians 9:12] and the pouring out of Paul’s life sacrificially in his ministry [Philippians 2;17]. This terminology describes Christian service in general, but in the postapostolic period it is increasingly applied to the distinctive service of clergy as the Christian counterpart to the OT Levitical ministers.”

exie you are hysterical.

I believe a man/woman with a ministry/mission is someone who has a deep calling on their heart and follows it. No matter what somoene else thinks. Dots has a ministry with animals. That is pretty obvious to me, even though I never met the lady personally. She has a calling that God placed on her heart because she has the compassion and the fortitude to carry through with it.

People may make fun of your calling. They fail to see the bigger picture. They think what you are doing is not important enough. Hey, didnt the Lord wash other peoples stinky feet? You wont see me doing that. No freaking way. But He was the Son of God. And He did it.

Just random thoughts. But that's my drift. Lots of people like to claim they have a ministry, and call themselves Apostle Bob, Prophet Harry, whatever. Wear fancy robes and fancy titles, just like Jesus foretold. The same stuff was going on in His time. It always will.

But your heart is the true ministry. Maybe giving 5 bucks to a bum on the street, writing people in prison, doing the stuff that Jesus taught us to do that blesses other peoples, the lowlieset in the eyes of the world.

A man with a ministry should never have to tell anyone, it is evident in his life. It's not a profession of something you learn to be. It's definately a God given.

I've rarely seen it in those who teach the bible or make money off of it.

I've seen it in several different fields of life like doctors, musicians people who truly minister to people's hearts and souls.

The problem with the way leaders and many others like them is they go around telling others they are the ministers of our day and they have the gift ministies in our time. That's gets my hair to stand on end.

In veyspeak, I think it used to mean a man with a ministry of an apostle, prophet.. etc. It was even on the corps logo, I think, at one time.

They did take that off if memory serves correctly.

Then "a man with a ministry" became "a thug with a big stick.."

It could be that was the original meaning, however. I've seen some pretty brutal men "with a ministry", even in the old days.