GreaseSpot Cafe

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE

waterbuffalo

Received in an email today, and hope you have a love-ly Easter:

The First Easter Basket

Timidly, the child laid his small woven lunch basket into Jesus’ hands. Like most children, the little boy liked to help. But could he? Would Jesus be annoyed with him, too?

Earlier, he had overheard the disciples discussing a problem. It seemed that among the entire crowd of people, only the little boy thought to bring his lunch. When Jesus told the disciples to feed the crowd, the boy eagerly offered it. And the disciples scoffed. Would Jesus?

Now Jesus unlatched the basket and looked inside. Nestled together were five barley buns and two fingerling fishes. Jesus grinned, almost laughed aloud. He shook His head. “The faith of a child!”

The boy twisted his stubbed great toe into the sand. Red-hot shame rose to the roots of his hair.

“Come here, lad,” Jesus called to the boy. He stooped low, extending His callused carpenter’s hand. The boy placed his own small one into it. Jesus’ big hand closed over the tiny one, holding it gently, firmly. Jesus looked into the child’s eyes. The little boy knew: his gift was accepted.

Jesus and the disciples gazed up the side of the mountain. Among the rocks, the crowd of about 5,000 men plus women and children were dispersed into little clusters. Children, once with twisted limbs, now danced and played on sound legs. The skin of the lepers was smooth, whole, and restored. The formerly blind were marveling over a world previously seen only through their fingertips.

“Have the people sit on the ground,” Jesus told His disciples.

Quickly, the word spread up the hillside and the crowd eagerly sat, facing Jesus. An expectant hush fell. Perhaps Jesus was going to teach again. Perhaps heal.

Still holding the child’s hand, He looked up into heaven as if He could see the very face of God. “Thank You,” He said simply.

The boy didn’t know if Jesus was thanking God for his lunch or him. Perhaps both.

Then Jesus handed the boy his lunch back. As the boy held his little basket, Jesus reached in and took a barley loaf. He tore a piece and dropped the bit into a nearby basket. Then He tore the loaf again. And again. And again. And again.

Inexplicably, the basket filled. As the torn pieces of bread reached the top of the basket, the silence was so heavy that when Jesus quietly asked for another basket, His voice could be heard to the back edges of the crowd.

His request spurred the stunned disciples to life.

rose1.gif (He a rose)

Received in an email today, and hope you have a love-ly Easter: rose1.gif (He arose)

Kit, Thanks.

my favorite is "great is thy faithfulness"

I love that one too!

Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father;

There is no shadow of turning with Thee;

Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not;

As Thou hast been, Thou forever will be.

Refrain

Great is Thy faithfulness!

Great is Thy faithfulness!

Morning by morning new mercies I see.

All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;

Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

Summer and winter and springtime and harvest,

Sun, moon and stars in their courses above

Join with all nature in manifold witness

To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

Refrain

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth

Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;

Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,

Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

Happy Easter everyone!