GreaseSpot Cafe

Ex TWI Way Corps person tells story of conversion to Catholicism

markomalley

I understand that.

But I'm not going to list ANYBODY's name with other more personal stuff unless I have their express permission.

That's just respect for a person's privacy.

(See, the EWTN website listing for the interview identifies him as an ex-something else, rather than as an ex-twi)

Mark,

If you were trying to protect this man's identity, I am very confused by your posting this link when it completely reveals the real name of the person. Why did you post it? If you were so concerned about his privacy, shouldn't you ask him if it is OK to post the link? How many people would have stumbled on the interview had you not posted it? Sorry, I am just not seeing your point of posting the link if you wanted his privacy protected.

Perhaps this entire thread should have been in Doctrinal??

Dunno. Just speculating. ;)

The thread is not about Catholicism. The thread is about the story of an ex-TWI person's life after leaving TWI.

My reason for putting it in "open" vice "my story" was twofold:

#1: it wasn't "my" story...it was somebody else's story

#2: more people would see it here.

The reason I didn't put the person's name in here was as google-protection

Point made and point taken.

Mea Culpa. :)

Mark,

If you were trying to protect this man's identity, I am very confused by your posting this link when it completely reveals the real name of the person. Why did you post it? If you were so concerned about his privacy, shouldn't you ask him if it is OK to post the link? How many people would have stumbled on the interview had you not posted it? Sorry, I am just not seeing your point of posting the link if you wanted his privacy protected.

Fair enough.

It is for a technical reason...I am sort of creating a "air gap" that would make it far more difficult for an automated robot to make the connections.

For example, you could get the person's name and google it. You will not ever see this thread pop up on a google (of the guy's name). On the ETWN web site, you could google the guy's name and twi (or 'the way international') and there will be no hits. He is identified on that web site with a different past religious affiliation. Therefore, I have created no direct linkage that could be discerned by an automated robot that is used in any search engine to my knowledge. (Why? Because the guy's name isn't mentioned in this thread at all)

Yes I know that a human could easily do so. But not a robot.

Why haven't I just asked the guy's permission? #1, I don't know him. #2, He voluntarily appeared on an interview on cable tv, so I can safely assume that he doesn't mind his viewpoint being aired.

Then why don't I post his name since it is public: because I do not know that this Catholic deacon wants the association between him, the Catholic Church, and gsc to be advertised (he didn't mention greasespot during his interview).

You know, it's funny. This site has a habit of not revealing real names. We all are in the habit of spelling out peoples' names: "j*e bl*w" "j*hn d**", "s*m**l a*ams" and so on. I try to follow those guidelines and the thread changes from: "this is what happened to an ex-WC person" to "Why didn't markomalley just post his name?"

If you're sure it's OK, think about this: there have been 27 responses to the original post and over 400 views (as of 11:48 EDT). There have been several who have criticized me for not posting his name, yet nobody else has either.

Yes I know that a human could easily do so. But not a robot.

You may be underestimating the power of Google. :biglaugh:

You gave the link, which identifies who he is. Then there is chatter about him being a poster here. That is the part that bugs me. Did you know he had a profile on GSC before you posted the link?

Note: I didn't start any of that chatter.

And yes I knew he had a profile. I checked that profile and saw that it had been a while since he logged onto the site and even longer since he posted anything. So it wasn't like excathedra returned to the Church and then did an interview on "The Journey Home" -- I could easily PM her and get a response back whether it was or was not OK to post it. Had I left a PM for this person, it might be weeks before he got it if he ever got it.

(no excathedra, I realize that h3ll will freeze over before you come back to the Church...I am just using your screen name as an illustration of what I would do if it were a regular poster here who appeared on that show)

Mark,

I'm not taking sides here but I wanted to mention that I agree with your thoughts on the whole thing. And I knew you were not the one to mention Joe's name on the thread. Since Joe's interview is public knowledge (since on ETWN) then you bringing it here isn't a far stretch in my mind since we all bring things to this board in all categories from politics to recipes.

Also it was Paw that said he was a poster here and if anyone can be trusted not to disclose identities around here it would be Paw further adding it was not inappropriate for what you did here or you know Paw would have said so loud and clear for us all to have learned from.

I have yet to finish the interview but think I will start it over and listen from the start again. I honestly found it very interesting.

Thanks again.

Kathy

Rocky was upset and rightfully so when Jonny called him by his real first name even though he has an adult picture of himself as his avatar.

:offtopic: An adult picture? I didn't know I even posed for any of those! :redface2:

Ok, sorry, now back to our regularly scheduled thread, my apologies.

Chatty,

I was just about to move this to About the Way and I stopped for two reasons.

1. Paw is active in this thread and can move it if he wants to.

2. You "voted" to keep it here and not move it to About the Way.

I can ask Paw privately about the first item. But why not move it to About the Way? It seems to fit there better than here.

(P.S. I don't know who the poster is and haven't been able to hear the link).

modcat5

Remember Dion from the '50s and '60s?

On his website, diondimucci.com, you can click on "My Spiritual Journey" and read about how an episode of "My Journey Home" in 1997 led him to the Catholic Church. I know the focus of this thread is not really The Catholic Church but it's still a pretty interesting read for anyone interested in taking a "side trip", especially for those of us who have a fondness for music from the past.

ps----My real name is Rumplestiltskin but mum's the word :wink2:

The thread is a link to a video of a guy telling his story. PART of his story involves belonging to TWI. I am glad that Mark put the link up. I am also happy that he didn't just put the screenname up. If I was involved in something elsewhere on the web, I may not want it tied to my name.

I was the one that brought up the fact that he was a poster here. Nota, you should be addressing any of your complaints to me.

The video is the story of an individual's journey and his taking control of the path that was taken. Shouldn't the discussion be about that, rather than blaming the messenger for something rather meaningless next to the journey this video talks about?

Hey Ya'll, God Bless.

I was blessed that somepeople here had posted and have seen my interview on the EWTN Show,"The Journey Home". I wish I had had more time to have discussed things more specifically..but it was the first time I was being filmed on International TV, so I was not attentive as much as I would like to have been.

My Dearest Friend Dot called me when I was on my way to Church to tell me that someone posted the event, and that She and Her Hubby were Listening to the Show on the Radio.

I was very impressed with the Protocol not to post my name in regards to the Show without asking. But It is all over the Word Now LOL

Please keep me in your prayers, I love you ( youse in NY and NJ :rolleyes: )

Yours in Christ,

Joe Pasquella

Hello Joe,

Nice to meet you.

Your interview was very interesting and educational for me. I'd not heard a experiential working knowledge of other faiths mixed in with twi before and without question when someone has been there and done that it certainly makes for a more rewarding reading experience for the viewers.

After leaving twi in 2002 I looked into other faiths and found that twi was pretty off base on most details. And in fact they were so far off on that of the Catholic faith that I could only surmise that twi folks that were of that faith prior were either of the Church prior to Vatican II or personally hurt so badly regarding something they had moved that knowledge to the back burner or simply washed in the brains. I know there could be other reasons that they didn't stand up when Craig was rain dancing on the faith and say 'whoa man that is like totally off' but I it has without question been the most opposite of what twi claimed it was than any other faith I looked into.

I am glad you are a part of our community and thank you for your reply here.

Kathy