GreaseSpot Cafe

The law of liberty

would you kindly define spiritual justification? I do not understand what the phrase means. Thanks :)

Spiritual justification is that we are just (in God's eyes) because of our spirits and not by our flesh. (The flesh is inconsequential to God for the flesh brings it's own rewards (which is usually premature death and suffering. For the flesh is dependent upon the soul where the new body is dependent upon the spirit.)

Our justification is not of our own works but by the works of God and the works of Christ in us.

Thus this free gift to all who simply believe for it becomes our rock and cleft in the mountain with which we cling to in life's stormy seasons.

The walk of faith is that we have faith in the spirit for our justification not the walk of our flesh and it's stratagems. That we focus our attentions to how the spirit teaches our mind and NOT how the law teaches our mind. That we walk in the way of the spirit and not by the way of the law. That we walk in forgiveness instead of wrath. That we live with a view toward love and liberty of the spirit rather than a view toward condemnation and judgment. It is like living tethered to this world and suddenly jumping upon the back of a bird and flying. The bird is the holy spirit dove and it is the way of God.

For this reason we are able to walk in the flesh more perfectly than otherwise.

One should never criticize a person's walk until they first consider how this person would have walked if they had not had Christ nor the spirit at all.

So the flesh has it's own consequences just as the spirit has it's own rewards.

God does not need to judge the flesh for the flesh judges itself (rather harshly I might add). God is only there to gather the things that remain, the things that stay faithful and the things that are true, holy and without blame.

For the light in Christ will rise up to meet God in the air.

Edited by DrWearWord

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, T-Bone another law, another Comforter, another spirit, another gospel.

Just depends on the heart, it is where the Word is.

And can be misused as you know.

It will all get figured out in the end, which is the beginning.

Yeah, T-Bone another law, another Comforter, another spirit, another gospel.

Just depends on the heart, it is where the Word is.

And can be misused as you know.

It will all get figured out in the end, which is the beginning.

Not just another law... but a perfect law.

What does perfect mean to you wearword?

You've answered none of my questions so far.

Do you not know some answers or just talking without knowledge.

25But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

How is it one looks into the perfect law of liberty?

T-bone, I think the "another law" or "different law" is really the heart of what Jesus taught. Love God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength and love your neighbor as yourself. The laws of the O.T. have the potential to teach us HOW to do that, if we understand the reasoning behind the law - if we do it with love and understanding, not out of compulsion or legalism.

That is not to say we HAVE to do them, because again, that goes back to legalism. I don't think God cares so much whether or not I light the candles on Friday night. What is important to God is the remberance of Him, to give thanks to him. What is important is the sense of connectedness with my fellow humans when I light those candles, to remember them too. What is important is that I take time over the Sabbath not just to think on God and my brothers and sisters, but that I take time for me and my family as well. That we rest, enjoy each other and the life we have been given.

Spiritual justification is that we are just (in God's eyes) because of our spirits and not by our flesh. (The flesh is inconsequential to God for the flesh brings it's own rewards (which is usually premature death and suffering. For the flesh is dependent upon the soul where the new body is dependent upon the spirit.)

Our justification is not of our own works but by the works of God and the works of Christ in us.

Thus this free gift to all who simply believe for it becomes our rock and cleft in the mountain with which we cling to in life's stormy seasons.

The walk of faith is that we have faith in the spirit for our justification not the walk of our flesh and it's stratagems. That we focus our attentions to how the spirit teaches our mind and NOT how the law teaches our mind. That we walk in the way of the spirit and not by the way of the law. That we walk in forgiveness instead of wrath. That we live with a view toward love and liberty of the spirit rather than a view toward condemnation and judgment. It is like living tethered to this world and suddenly jumping upon the back of a bird and flying. The bird is the holy spirit dove and it is the way of God.

Again with the wayspeak, WearWord. *Shrug* can you not express it in your own words instead of just parrotting what VPW and LCM taught. Can you say it in God's words, even?

If it is that simple. If we really truly have to do nothing more than repeat a verse of scripture and all is well for the rest of our lives and into eternity - why the rest of the book? If God really cares not what "works" we do on this earth, then hy the admonitions throughout the epistles?? Why not simply end the scriptures at Rom 10:9 & 10??

One should never criticize a person's walk until they first consider how this person would have walked if they had not had Christ nor the spirit at all.

So the flesh has it's own consequences just as the spirit has it's own rewards.

God does not need to judge the flesh for the flesh judges itself (rather harshly I might add). God is only there to gather the things that remain, the things that stay faithful and the things that are true, holy and without blame.

For the light in Christ will rise up to meet God in the air.

I think VPW went overboard with his belief of the flesh being of little consequence. That's probably why he had no qualms being drunk half the time, drugging and raping women…Often Scripture does link the flesh with mere earthly existence and a willing instrument of sin. But since the flesh is the ONLY physical means by which we interact with this world – Scripture often points out the tremendous bearing it has in this life as well as the next. In my opinion, Scripture does not encourage us to ignore the flesh – but to actually take heed to what we do in the flesh – acknowledging every thought, word and deed has ramifications.

Romans 6:19-23 NIV

19I put this in human terms because you are weak in your natural selves. Just as you used to offer the parts of your body in slavery to impurity and to ever-increasing wickedness, so now offer them in slavery to righteousness leading to holiness. 20When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the control of righteousness. 21What benefit did you reap at that time from the things you are now ashamed of? Those things result in death! 22But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life. 23For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in[b] Christ Jesus our Lord.

I Corinthians 3:10-17 NIV

10 By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as an expert builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should be careful how he builds. 11For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12If any man builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, 13his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man's work. 14If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. 15If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames.

16Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you? 17If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is sacred, and you are that temple.

I Corinthians 6:12-20 NIV

12 "Everything is permissible for me"—but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"—but I will not be mastered by anything. 13"Food for the stomach and the stomach for food"—but God will destroy them both. The body is not meant for sexual immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. 14By his power God raised the Lord from the dead, and he will raise us also. 15Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ himself? Shall I then take the members of Christ and unite them with a prostitute? Never! 16Do you not know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, "The two will become one flesh."[b] 17But he who unites himself with the Lord is one with him in spirit.

18Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body. 19Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.

II Corinthians 5:6-10 NIV

6 Therefore we are always confident and know that as long as we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord. 7We live by faith, not by sight. 8We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord. 9So we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it. 10For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.

I Peter 3:9-12 NIV

8 Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble. 9Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing. 10For,

"Whoever would love life

and see good days

must keep his tongue from evil

and his lips from deceitful speech.

11He must turn from evil and do good;

he must seek peace and pursue it.

12For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous

and his ears are attentive to their prayer,

but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil."[a]

Edited by T-Bone

Personally, I still think vp went the way of Crowley.

Interesting though.. how vp loved his liberty, on one hand.. and started demanding performance and strict adherance from those he taught, on the other.. I wouldn't call this liberty. We were in chains.

17 These are springs without water, and mists driven by a storm; for whom the blackness of darkness hath been reserved.

18 For, uttering great swelling words of vanity, they entice in the lusts of the flesh, by lasciviousness, those who are just escaping from them that live in error;

19 promising them liberty, while they themselves are bondservants of corruption; for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he also brought into bondage.

Edited by Mr. Hammeroni

I have figured out some interesting things lately...

That both law and liberty are parallel lines drawn in the same direction... down to hell.

They both accompany each other into hell. The deeper you go into law or liberty, the darker life becomes.

Where the law of liberty leads into the heavens.

Liberty being what animals have, for they have no written laws.

This liberty leads to anarchy and division because it is an entirely self (flesh) oriented approach.

Where the law is flesh oriented because they (laws) judge the flesh and cannot know the spirit.

Thus they emphasize the flesh over the spirit as being more important.

Only the law of liberty leads to God's grace and mercy and the unity of the spirit.

There is neither Jew (law) nor Gentile (liberty)...

For all are one (law of liberty) in Christ Jesus.

Good post, DrWearWord – you've got me thinking about a "balanced Christian life" – whatever that is. I think I've hit it a time or two as I swing from one extreme to the other :biglaugh: . Seriously though, I feel that is something to be worked out on an individual basis – hence my Philippians reference:

Ecclesiastes 7:16, 17 NIV

16 Do not be overrighteous,

neither be overwise—

why destroy yourself?

17 Do not be overwicked,

and do not be a fool—

why die before your time?

I Corinthians 6:12 NIV

"Everything is permissible for me"—but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"—but I will not be mastered by anything.

Philippians 2:12, 13 NIV

12 Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence — continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, 13for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.

Edited by T-Bone

Romans 8:4

That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Galatians 5:14

For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Romans 13:8

Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.

Its been a while since I posted.

The law of liberty IMO simply means that liberty is the law IE having a drink in moderation OK, music have some moderation in all things Ferstu?

With a couple of exceptions to the rule as specified in ACTS:

1) No fornication or adultry

2) No coveteousness or idolatry

1/2 Dont talk about someone behind there back, unless of course you have brought it to them first as Jesus said. If you have ought against your brother go to your brother (not your neighbor) if he wont be reconciled go to the magistrate, if that dont work, let him be as the heathen.

Its been a while since I posted.

The law of liberty IMO simply means that liberty is the law IE having a drink in moderation OK, music have some moderation in all things Ferstu?

With a couple of exceptions to the rule as specified in ACTS:

1) No fornication or adultry

2) No coveteousness or idolatry

1/2 Dont talk about someone behind there back, unless of course you have brought it to them first as Jesus said. If you have ought against your brother go to your brother (not your neighbor) if he wont be reconciled go to the magistrate, if that dont work, let him be as the heathen.

Those are rules for living a good life in the flesh they have nothing to do with the "gift" of the holy spirit.

That is God's works not our own that saves us. The love of God is greater than sin.

If we could save ourselves by rules then what use would God be?

The only condition is that we freely receive this holy spirit.

We have the righteousness of God not our own, the perfection of the spirit not the perfection of the flesh.

For those who are of the flesh cannot please God. Only the spirit can perfect the flesh not the law or rules... Rules are also an external guide and not an internal guide like the spirit. The spirit may require us to also break rules to remain in fellowship with God.

If we commit fornication in the flesh we will receive the physical sickness and judgment the the flesh has to offer. If we do not love others we will receive our own hate mirrored back into our own souls.

The flesh has it's own judgment and recompense God does not need to judge what does not concern him.

People who want justice in the flesh will receive their justice and in the meantime blindly overlook the justice of the spirit.

Only our love and goodness concerns God. God does not point out our failures but he magnifies our successes.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood and the laws of the flesh but we wrestle against unholy spiritual powers that create the illusion of the flesh.

Edited by DrWearWord

1 Corinthians 13:4-7

4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, 5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

Edited by DrWearWord

DrWearword:

I must implicitly disagree. The Aposlte Paul was adament on the restricitions at all times when he said:

Be not deceived neither fornicator, nor covetous (idolator) nor adulterer, nor UNCLEAN PERSON, hath any inheritance in the Kingdom of God or the Kingdom of Christ.

Furthermore, he said, if any man consent not to wholesome words even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ (something like this I am quoting from memory) let him be anathema (or cursed)

The doctrine of Christ is the doctrine of cleanliness, and the law of love KEEPS THESE THINGS.

This is apparent in almost every writing by Paul, James, Jude and what the Lord Jesus said himself.

DrWearword:

I must implicitly disagree. The Aposlte Paul was adament on the restricitions at all times when he said:

Be not deceived neither fornicator, nor covetous (idolator) nor adulterer, nor UNCLEAN PERSON, hath any inheritance in the Kingdom of God or the Kingdom of Christ.

Furthermore, he said, if any man consent not to wholesome words even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ (something like this I am quoting from memory) let him be anathema (or cursed)

The doctrine of Christ is the doctrine of cleanliness, and the law of love KEEPS THESE THINGS.

This is apparent in almost every writing by Paul, James, Jude and what the Lord Jesus said himself.

Are you saying the holy spirit gift seed (image of God) can sin?

1Peter 1:23

Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

Edited by DrWearWord

What does holy have to do with corruptible or incorruptible?

"Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever."

What does sin have to do with this?

KJV: Ro 1:23

23And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

KJV: 1 Co 9:25

25And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

KJV: 1 Co 15:53

53For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

KJV: 1 Co 15:54

54So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

KJV: 1 Pe 1:18

18Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;

KJV: 1 Pe 1:23

23Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

KJV: 1 Pe 3:4

4But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

the hidden man of the heart

This is where incorruption is regardless of sin, it's still there.

Edited by cman

wearword:

u said:

Are you saying the holy spirit gift seed (image of God) can sin?

Thats like asking if a pear is an orange.

But since you ask............. It does say in revelation that if any man is unrighteous let him be unrighteous still. A conclusive sort of language that indicates thats the way some want it to be.

Obviously in the same book you quoted from it says, If any man say he hath not sinned he is a liar and the truth is not in him.

But really what does this have to do with the passages I quoted? Not much.

Who's idea was it in the first place?

Why would anyone want to expound on their ideas,

when what it is is only revealed by one.

Perhaps some pieces can be found in ideas of man, but not the whole,

that much is certain.

It is what is in man that cannot and can be seen.

Though words and books enough to fill the world would not show it.

Edited by cman

This particular thread has been on my mind so I thought I would write what I have gotten so far.

My dilemma started the other day when the failed bombing attempt at the Scotland airport happened.

What struck me peculiar about the whole incident was the doctors who tried to pull off the failed suicide attempts.

It is one thing to have an immature child or a Muslim woman who will never taste freedom to massacre and mutilate themselves is such a disrespectful way to the flesh, but doctors?

This had me perplexed. When I get perplexed I put an enormous amount of thought into something.

I hold this thought up against life and keep it present in my thoughts until a solution presents itself.

I don't know if there is a "solution" for suicide bombers in general but there can certainly be some light shed on the whole subject.

So as I was pondering this dilemma about doctors taking their own lives in the name of Allah suddenly I found my contrasting thought.

I was walking down the street where I live and had these doctors on my mind and then a man who lives in my area walked by.

This was not just any ordinary man... this was "shaky Bob" (what the locals refer to him as).

One of the city drunks. But Bob is particularly ailed with his infirmity. When he walks down the street he does a kind of dance twirling his fingers and hobbling from leg to leg. The poor soul gets run over by cars from time to time sleeps in show banks yet there was shaky Bob hobbling down the road living another day to bum spare change for more beer and swill them down in some back alleyway.

That was my contrast I needed to the radical muslim doctors.

What does this all have to do with the law of liberty?

Well it is the flesh and the impact that life has on the flesh.

If the flesh/body is in peace and in a balance with the "holy" spirit then it lives but if it is out of balance it dies.

The flesh can only live when it is connected to a living source.

So in essence the body becomes devalued in both cases for "the spirit".

The drunk has a different kind of spirit yet both unholy spirits lead to the destruction of the flesh. It is the radical Islamic spirit of law that obscured the holy spirit of the only true God.

Only the holy spirit of God in Christ in us can cast the flesh in the right light of liberty, love and true virtuous living.

John 14:6

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Comment: Those who drink the spirit of the law of sin and death will receive in their flesh the damnation of it's merciless justice.

Edited by DrWearWord

I am going to name this post, "Another Reality".

What started me thinking on this post was music in particular the rhythmical aspects of music.

VP often spoke of music and it's parallels to the word of God.

Well music is my earthly profession or long suit other than my spiritual duty to God of course.

So I have not only thought about music allot but I have practiced music to the level of Olympic style training and performance. I have written music to the level of a master of music which has taken me years to achieve.

So music is a reality in itself each song is a new reality, each song has a unique rhythm and tempo (speed).

It takes a skilled musician to count the rhythm of a song's time signature.

So for most untrained ears the counting of the rhythm goes by without notice. But when a musician encounters this rhythm they cannot help but start to tap their foot and count it.

Because they are connected to musical realities. They hear the nuances of the beat and the pentameter of the verse.

We each play a song to God. We each sing and play the instruments of our desires. We blow into the trumpet or saxophone in the nightclub called life. God strums the stings of our spirits as we strum the stings of our own souls. Music spills out into the world.

God breathes words into our minds and they are a torch song for the world to lead them to the light of God's perfect harmony and unity of the spirit.

For God is the conductor and though the song begins with the heavens and the earth, God's reality precedes the song itself.

For God is the beginning and the end of the song and Christ is the theme revealing God's image of love.

So it is God's love song to the world...

And those who hear the song's character, rhythm and tempo and who can also can block out the noisy distractions of the world will perform this song and will recognize the melody when they hear God call them home.

Peace with God

Revelation 19:6

And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth.

Edited by DrWearWord