GreaseSpot Cafe

Song of the moment

nandon

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Jennifer Knapp will be at Lillith Fair this year.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I'll be in my shop tinkering--after I get done with that cool cigar box guitar

Im gonna make me one of these:

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> Edited by mstar1

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Cool tune, cool instrument!!! Never "seen nothin" in my life like this here before! eusa_clap.gif

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object> Edited by dmiller
  • Upvote 1

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHtK4nAbsbI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHtK4nAbsbI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHtK4nAbsbI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqhl_8WwhMc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqhl_8WwhMc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqhl_8WwhMc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Edited by waysider

D Miller, that was cool. Presently listening to Women of Faith singing"Hear Our Praises" written by Ruben Morgan of Hilsong.

• Upvote 1

'Cause when it's rainin'

Ain't nothin' but love rainin' down

And when the sun shines

Ain't nothin' but love shinin' all around

And when the wind blows

I'll be talkin' to you

Sayin' that I loved you always

And I know that you loved me too

Paul Delay (1/31/52--3/7/07)

Edited by waysider

speaking of rain, thinking of Jim Morrison and the Doors, Riders of the storm

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object> :biglaugh:

Sam Bush is coming to town tonight..

I'll be lucky enough to be in 4th row center(advantages of living in a small town and knowing the theater folks)

I'll be thinking of you dmiller!

Bringing In The Georgia Mail

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> Edited by mstar1

Glad you like it!--Its pretty hard for a banjo to sound sad--even the "worlds gone wrong" type songs sound upbeat on a banjo..

Heres a documentary trailer that features some great banjo ---

Im addicted to the sound myself

Edited by mstar1

Mstar - - - Here's hoping you had a great time at Sam's concert tonight. He is the consummate musician. I'm sure you heard a VERY GOOD concert tonight, BUT I WISH YOU COULD HAVE HEARD IT IN THE ORIGINAL!!! biglaugh.gif

Sam surrounds himself with pickers who never hit a wrong note/ look great on stage/ and entertain the audience beyond their wildest dreams.

I had the fortune to "hang out" with the original New Grass Revival back in the early 1970's when they came to town (back in Indiana) to put on concerts. Wait - - - I take that back. It wasn't the original NGR, since Ebo Walker (bass player) had left, and was replaced by John Cowan by that time.

The band consisted of Sam on mandolin and fiddle/ John Cowan on bass/ Curtis Burch on guitar and dobro/ and Courtney Johnson on banjo. Since you're becoming enamored with the banjo, I'm wondering if you've ever heard of Courtney Johnson? He was a pioneer in the "melodic" banjo world and is sadly missed by many of us.

Was Scott Vestal picking banjo tonight at your concert? He (and his Stealth banjo) are the talk of the bluegrass community (these days).

Here's a short commemorative clip of Courtney I found on YouTube (him playing the banjo). Sadly - - There isn't much video on Courtney. :(

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

(edited for spelling mistakes)

Edited by dmiller
  • Upvote 1

I had a great time. I ended up sitting in a box in a comfy chair about five feet from stage left..right in front of Scott Vestal. It was like kickin back in my living room with some of the best musicians in the world.. There were some things from the new Cd (Circles around us)but a lot of old New Grass Revival jams as well. Sam (and the entire band)was of course jaw droppingly good.Odd time signatures, extended jams, and they never missed...

At one point during an extended complex fiddle jam-I recognized an old Allman Brothers tune (Les Brers in A Minor)I asked his wife at the concession stand during the break which CD it might be on...she told me that he had never played it before -it was a one off that happened on the spot--a lot of the night seemed like that...

A stealth banjo? I was wondering all night what that was! Even though it was right in front of me, it looked odd with the tuning pegs set the way they were..Vestal never broke a sweat the entire night just completely calmly played some of the most amazing banjo that I have heard in ages...

It was a sleety nasty night so the crowd left right after the show. I hung out for the meet and greet... Sam and I talked about baseball for about a half hour :biglaugh:

he's as big a fan as I am...aside from seeing the greatest mandolin player in the world, I also learned the Cardinals need a bullpen. :)

That nights a keeper.

Thanks for the heads up on Courtney Johnson--I'll be keeping my ears open for him

While we're on the subject of "odd" instruments...

Check out this guitar at the beginning of this video...

It's a custom guitar made by Hugh Manson and the guitarist of this band (Muse), Matthew Bellamy. It has a built-in Z.Vex Fuzz Factory (basically a midi control pad) which gives Bellamy his distinctive sound and the ability to manipulate the pedals oscillation sounds without bending down. In addition, it has an MXR Phase 90 phaser, a Roland midi pickup and uses Bare Knuckle and Kent Armstrong pickups.

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object> Edited by ChasUFarley

a few more for St Paddy's Day

Geese in the bog/Jig of slurs-The Tannahill Weavers

Rocky Road to Dublin--The Chieftains

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmhEGrK9uJ4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmhEGrK9uJ4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmhEGrK9uJ4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>