GreaseSpot Cafe

Marijuana pros and cons

GrouchoMarxJr

You druggies?...Hopefully you're not assigning that label to me...pond scum was bad enough.

Be that as it may...I do realize that everything is more expensive up there in the former Russian terrority that you reside in. You claim it's the 49th state?...got any proof of that?...I thought you were still a territory...

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

As one poster pointed out earlier, this ain't the same stuff we remember from the 60s and 70s.

This is pot on steroids,so to speak, that is circulating in the current market place.

Yeah, when I started in 70/71 it was $10 per oz. for OK stuff and $20 for better stuff. But you could smoke that all at once if you wanted. By 1973/74 it was $30 for OK stuff and $40 and up for good stuff. Once I bought stuff the guy said was cured with heroin. It was "one toke" as we called it, but it was rare then to get stuff that good unless you paid $50 or $60 per oz. Had a friend who would put crushed ice and pink chablis in a bong like it was a religious ceremony.

Yeah, I, too, don't miss being paranoid and forgetful.

Man, where to start?

Jonny, I have had some of that "Rare Alaskan Cold" (if you don't recognize that line, look up "The Great American Smoke Off" by Shel Silverstein.). Those of you who have bought in to the propoganda that pot today is stronger than what we smoked back in the 60's and 70's are misinformed. Yes, there is "designer bud" that is "one hit wonder". AND, if you stop at 1 hit, it's a similar high to what we used to get back in the day. But most of what you can get on the street is lame and as Groucho guessed, about 40 bucks for a quarter ounce. Nowhere NEAR as strong as good old Panama Red, or Columbian Gold. :)

This is going to sound snotty but here goes...it's one thing to smoke when you're college-age, but the image I get of someone who continues the habit into their 40's and beyond is...well...rusty cars in the front yard...mullet hair cut...lack of ambition.
I have no idea where you would get that idea, but I own a business and most of the people that I know who still smoke pot are other business owners, some of whom are worth more money than I will ever see in my lifetime. They choose to enjoy a buzz in the evening, so what? Most people who would think badly of someone like that would not think a thing about going out to a club after work and having 3 or 4 (or more)drinks.
and yeah, people have died from smoking too much pot...either from lung cancer...or just being mindless while doing dangerous things

Show me some proof, guessalot. Or are you just guessing? :biglaugh: Sorry, I couldn't resist! But I can't believe the lung cancer one. Unless you can show where this person was totally insulated from ANY other carcinogen (including second-hand smoke) then I don't believe it. Besides, you should vape it and not smoke it anyway. :)

Don't get me wrong...I do NOT feel that children should use marijuana. Or any other substance that alters their reality, for that matter. But studies show that it's use is decreasing among school aged kids, which is a GOOD thing.

In 2005, 14.6 million Americans aged 12 or older used marijuana at least once in the month prior to being surveyed, which is similar to the rate in 2004. About 6,000 people a day in 2005 used marijuana for the first time--2.1 million Americans. Of these, 59.1 percent were under age 18(1). As a percentage of those who had not used marijuana prior to the past year, youth marijuana initiation declined significantly, from 5.8 percent in 2004 to 5.2 percent in 2005.
From THIS site.

Mo, you said it very well:

Legalize it, regulate production, and prices, and age limits that can purchase it. Ditto all other recreational drugs, gambling and prostitution.

It is not the job of government to regulate morality or one groups idea of morality--it is the job of government to protect its citizens.

Better drugs that are quality controlled in their making, better prostitutes that are having regular medical screening with lists of clients if something shows up, better legalized gambling instead of after-hours houses where drugs and prostitutes also operate freely.

As far as medical marijuana is concerned, I know a dude that uses it that way. It is not legal in this state, but he has glaucoma. He will use a SMALL amount each evening and by doing so, has been able to completely stop using his eyedrops. The pressure in his eye is just fine as long as he has a hit or 2 each day. And as far as someone with terminal cancer is concerned, my attitude is, give them whatever it takes to make them comfortable. If toking eases the nausea associated with chemo, then by all means, let them toke all they want. Of course, my opinion THERE, is if a person has terminal cancer, knows there is now hope of recovery, then WTF...give them freaking heroin if it makes them feel better. There are only 2 reasons to deny it to someone with a terminal disease. One being the fear of litigation. The other being for moral reasons. Both being pretty sick reasons for denying a person who is suffering a substance which will make them feel better, in my opinion.

Holy zig zags Batman!...

That was hilarious!

Oh, and one final thing. MJ users are NOT druggies, as, MJ is not considered a drug. :)

Rick

I say keep it illegal.

I smoked it 4 or 5 times till........ 1976. After fellowship was over out came the baggy. Smoked a little. Three of us started home in my car. I was driving. Man I'm sleepy so I'm going to sleep. Mike the front seat passenger started steering and off we went up the Gulf Freeway. I remember getting woken up as we went through a speed trap(wow man). Then I got woken up because our exit was next. Had to be awake to change gears.

The next day when I started remembering was the very last time I ever touched the dang.

Today the most I do is maybe an adult beverage once every other month.

You claim it's the 49th state?...got any proof of that?...I thought you were still a territory...

Man, where have you been? And you want me to show you "proof" that Alaska is a state, our 49th state? You've been smokin way too much pot dude. Alaska officially became the 49th state on January 3, 1959. I'm not going to give you any proof. If you don't know this by now, well I guess you've been too stoned to know 1st grade history. You stoners...geez! :rolleyes:

P.S.

There's also this little island group in the Pacific, once known as the Sandwich Islands. They are an island paradise, and are now known as the "Hawaiian" Islands. And, the Hawaiian Islands are actually now our 50th state, and, home to a form of marijuana known as "Maui Wowee"...

Edited by Jonny Lingo

I say keep it illegal.

I smoked it 4 or 5 times till........ 1976. After fellowship was over out came the baggy. Smoked a little. Three of us started home in my car. I was driving. Man I'm sleepy so I'm going to sleep. Mike the front seat passenger started steering and off we went up the Gulf Freeway. I remember getting woken up as we went through a speed trap(wow man). Then I got woken up because our exit was next. Had to be awake to change gears.

The next day when I started remembering was the very last time I ever touched the dang.

Today the most I do is maybe an adult beverage once every other month.

Man, no offense meant, but you can't blame that on the pot. That was pure stupidity.

Rick

A couple of times back in HIGH school, I bought a pound of pot at $150.00 apiece. Each time I broke it down to sixteen ounces, and sold them for fifteen bucks apiece. But, since there was good competition at good ol Walter Johnson HIGH School, I needed a gimmick to sell my oz's off. And so, since there was (and still is) a nice bamboo patch in my yard which I started when I was eight, I cut down some bamboo, and made sixteen bamboo bongs (32 total). And, my sales pitch was; "Buy one ounce of this fine reefer, and you get one natural bamboo bong for free ! And remember: "natural bamboo" is way better than those plexiglass bongs"! And so, I did that twice, and they sold like hotcakes. And my bongs were all around my highschool and at parties, which really helped my self esteem when I saw them gleefully in use. Yeah, back in the day, my nick name was "Get High Nye". Geez. Glad I got away from all of that fer sher!

Stupidity for going to fellowship where the leader was given out the pot.

Although I smoked a lot of pot when I was in twi, I never had a twig leader who gave it to us. Or would have condoned it's use. But then, I was in a LOT later than you were.

Stupidity for just going to a TWI twig.

Well, we were all guilty of THAT stupidity!

Or just stupid for smokin pot.

Well, I would NEVER call anyone stupid for that. :)

Oh, stupid for driving afterwords.

Well, that COULD be considered stupid. :biglaugh:

Actually, I want to make it clear that I was not trying to imply that you are stupid. But what you described is a stupd act and not something that the "evil weed" made you do. (a sleeping driver and the passenger steering for him).

According to some scholars,[4]cannabis was an ingredient of holy anointing oil mentioned in various sacred Hebrew texts. The herb of interest is most commonly known as kanah-bosim (קְנֵה-בֹשֶׂם), the singular form of which would be kanah-bos.[5] This is mentioned several times in the Old Testament as a bartering material, incense, and an ingredient in holy anointing oil used by the high priest of the temple.

That sure could explain some of the funky dreams and visions! :biglaugh:

Man, where have you been? And you want me to show you "proof" that Alaska is a state, our 49th state? You've been smokin way too much pot dude. Alaska officially became the 49th state on January 3, 1959. I'm not going to give you any proof. If you don't know this by now, well I guess you've been too stoned to know 1st grade history. You stoners...geez! :rolleyes:

P.S.

There's also this little island group in the Pacific, once known as the Sandwich Islands. They are an island paradise, and are now known as the "Hawaiian" Islands. And, the Hawaiian Islands are actually now our 50th state, and, home to a form of marijuana known as "Maui Wowee"...

Gosh Jonny, it seems that my sense of humor alludes you...but in regards to pot, you seem to have a much greater knowledge of it than I do...Because of it's prevalence in our society, I started this thread out of curiosity...Although I have nothing againt pot, smoking it is not on my agenda...haven't smoked any in a LONG time...I don't listen to Led Zeppilin anymore, I don't have long hair and I stopped going to rock concerts years and years ago...If calling me a "druggie" gives you a certain sense of satisfaction, then I won't rain on your parade...but for the record, ( and I hate to disapoint you)... my "drug" of choice is a cold beer every now and then... :)

Edited by GrouchoMarxJr

(tonto)

This is going to sound snotty but here goes...it's one thing to smoke when you're college-age, but the image I get of someone who continues the habit into their 40's and beyond is...well...rusty cars in the front yard...mullet hair cut...lack of ambition

(bluzeman)

I have no idea where you would get that idea, but I own a business and most of the people that I know who still smoke pot are other business owners, some of whom are worth more money than I will ever see in my lifetime. They choose to enjoy a buzz in the evening, so what? Most people who would think badly of someone like that would not think a thing about going out to a club after work and having 3 or 4 (or more)drinks.

bluze, I got that idea from my stepsister and her husband, plus many more. It's obvious the business owners I know are different from the business owners you know and hey, it's really none of my business. :biglaugh: I was just "sharing".

As far as equating mulitple drinks with a pot buzz...maybe it's the illegal aspect that makes the difference. It's illegal and stupid to drink and drive, so I don't approve of that either. That being said, I'm aware that nobody gives a rat's azz whether I approve of something or not.

bluze, I got that idea from my stepsister and her husband, plus many more. It's obvious the business owners I know are different from the business owners you know and hey, it's really none of my business. I was just "sharing".

Touche'...that was funny! And I was just sharing myself, I wasn't offended by anything you said.

As far as equating mulitple drinks with a pot buzz...maybe it's the illegal aspect that makes the difference. It's illegal and stupid to drink and drive, so I don't approve of that either. That being said, I'm aware that nobody gives a rat's azz whether I approve of something or not.

I highly resemble THAT remark too. :)

Driving while impaired on ANYTHING is stupid and against the law(or SHOULD be, anyway). However, having worked as a bouncer in many a bar in my life, I have to say I would rather babysit a room full of potheads than a room full of drunks ANY day! Trust me, having to be the only sober person in a room full of drunks is VERY frustrating. :biglaugh:

Rick

very nice article, bluzman...covers a lot of bases

Show me some proof, guessalot. Or are you just guessing? Sorry, I couldn't resist! But I can't believe the lung cancer one. Unless you can show where this person was totally insulated from ANY other carcinogen (including second-hand smoke) then I don't believe it. Besides, you should vape it and not smoke it anyway.

<_< and yeah..that was me... sputtering 'either/ors' mindlessly and other such crimes...and writing in a lazy sloppy slant of a hurry as usual...sorry

let me restate less roughly...and then im unplugging to make up for my unruly behaviour ... :wacko:

:B)

....it seems to seem to seem to my me...given what ive seen and felt and read and done and guessed and wondered and other such things

human beings die from being mortal

(which is to say....while being actually radically bodily transformed trying to healing and resolve waves, streams, states and stages of meaning, hope, belonging, and other forgivabilities

as it relates to experiencing a variety of possible periods of one's own organic shifts, struggles, power downs and collapses of all our many bodies ... followed by cascades of final radiant releases and leavings the ripple out through gross, subtle and causal fields of reality... and other other truly unnamable things...yada yada yada)

but and too...

it seems not only likely that many kinds of someones from in and across all our numerous known and possible historical and ongoing contexts

have somehow found ways to really go beevus and butthead on the weed from kanab and other related such oily doobie burning projects

which contributed to tipping the scales on their lung's capacity to function and support the rest of our many bodies...inclunding but not limited too all the various cancerous realities

but large segments of we also seem to have been living and dying while being ill and suffering being a part of this whole mixed cocktail of interrelated and industrial strength self-inflicted atrocities

in growing waves and streams and fields of addictions to illness and pollution causing stuff we call foods/medicines/entertainments/vanities/atmospheres/cultures/behaviours/delusions and all such things

(each of which are specific and non-specific amplifers of this that and the other thing...happening in old, old, and old old and ongoing interrelated fields of genetic and cultural background noise...which all makes it even harder to be so severely reduce ... like i kinda did previously)

anyway...though it sounds kinda absurd to me, i guess thats more like what i wished i woulda tried to say

but it seems english is my second language at times

p.s....so as not to seem so gloomy about state of health and medicine...i would have to add that meanwhile, all kinda of strange and wonderful waves of things are happening and trying to happen...as usual

and as always, in response to whatever new crazinesses weve invented...and i find hope in that, too

Edited by sirguessalot

:wink2: Rick...you have a good point about babysitting drunks vs. potheads while sober, but having to babysit either would make me want to run.

Back in the day I worked in a music store/head shop and an eight-track tape factory. Some people worked stoned, but I couldn't handle it. When I was at the register I had to concentrate really hard to force my twirling brain cells to

hand

the

customer

the

correct

change

and

don't

start

laughing.

Not that our customers would mind my laughing...I just didn't like the feeling of losing control.

:wink2: Rick...you have a good point about babysitting drunks vs. potheads while sober, but having to babysit either would make me want to run.

Back in the day I worked in a music store/head shop and an eight-track tape factory. Some people worked stoned, but I couldn't handle it. When I was at the register I had to concentrate really hard to force my twirling brain cells to

hand

the

customer

the

correct

change

and

don't

start

laughing.

Not that our customers would mind my laughing...I just didn't like the feeling of losing control.

Now THAT had to be an interesting job! I bet you had some uh, very interesting conversations with the customers. :)

I rarely went to work stoned. I remember back when I was doing factory work and did it once with some people I worked with. Thought my shift would NEVER end! When I would get high, it would always make time slow Waaayyy down. That's the LAST thing you want when your doing monotonous repititious work! I am now a programmer(currently working with the dot-net platform, if anyone cares) and I can't imagine even TRYING to work with a buzz. Just wouldn't work.

Sirguessalot said:

human beings die from being mortal

VERY well said!

Rick

Just out of curiosity:

1-I love the stuff and smoke it every chance I get

2-I occasionally puff some to relax

3-I thinks it's not a good thing to do but I do it anyway on rare occasion

4-I think it's wrong and simply don't do it

5-It's from satan and you will get possessed if you even get near it

8 - I prefer getting "drunk" in the Spirit to any kind of drugs or alcohol.

...while being actually radically bodily transformed trying to healing and resolve waves, streams, states and stages of meaning, hope, belonging, and other forgivabilities

as it relates to experiencing a variety of possible periods of one's own organic shifts, struggles, power downs and collapses of all our many bodies ... followed by cascades of final radiant releases and leavings the ripple out through gross, subtle and causal fields of reality... and other other truly unnamable things...

pass that will ya? I'll take a hit

:)

The worst (yet sadly the funniest) thing I ever did when stoned: I was in ninth grade science class with Mr. Patch, a half white/half Chinese American. He was very very serious about his job, and supplied us with alot of laughs. But we never laughed to his face, because he brooked no nonsense, and simply kicked us out if we were too far out of line. And as it was, me and four friends of mine, because we were goof offs and always stoned in class, were made by Mr. Patch to sit in the front of the room, just in front of his desk, so he could keep an eye on us. One day, while we were really toasted, we came into class and took our seats up front as usual. Mr. Patch, then comes up and announces that we had a special guest from the National Institutes Of Health (NIH-this was in Bethesda, Maryland), who was a scientist, and who was going to give us a talk on molecules. Mr. Patch seemed very animated about it all, and was happy, it seemed, to be able to have procured a genuine and well paid scientist who was willing to hold forth concerning "molecules", that which we had been studying for the past week. Before he introduced this guy, he also told us that if we studied hard, we could end up like the guy he was going to announce and have a great paying job like him. And so, he announced this guy, whose name should have been something like "Poindexter" or something to that effect.

And so, on cue, this scientist comes in from the hallway, and after introductions, takes the floor. And I swear, this guy looked like Jerry Lewis in the original "Nutty Professor" movie. I mean, he was classically nurdish, with dark horn rimmed glasses, white lab coat, with pocket protector, and just all of it. And not only did he have the look, he was very nervous and uptight about standing before a bunch of spoiled brat 1971 Junior High School kids. And, my buddies and I, all of us in that front row, only glanced at each other at first, but then looked straight back at the Scientist so that we would not laugh out loud. I mean, we were sooo waisted! And we were in that stage of "potsmokingdom" where virtually everything was funny. Even stupid things were funny. But here we were with this seriously nerdy scientist standing before us about to hold forth about molecules, and we were already doing our best not to look at each other so as to not laugh. We did sneak peeks at each other, but Mr. Patch's stern look kept causing us to look back straight ahead. But, the smirks were forming as our minds reeled with stoned humor. And then, the scientist began to speak. He began to hold forth about m-m-m-olecules. As it turned out, the poor man stuttered! And it appeared that his worst words for him to pronounce were words that started with an "M"! And so, he'd begun with something like; "Hello boys and girls, to day we are going to talk about m-m-m-mmm-molecules. And there was a dead silence. Now in a civilized crowd, people only get quiet and embarrassed for the poor person who is up front having a hard time. And this was as it was with our crowd, at first. None of us wanted to belittle the man, but our stoned heads were reeling with the possibilities of all the wicked humor and laughing that we could have out of this situation. I looked over at Steve-Reefer-Keefer, who also chanced a glance at me, and we grinned. And Mr. Patch glared. And we both looked again at the scientist. But then, from my right, fellow stoner Kenny Birch stifled a laugh by snorting through his nose. But, that was sooo funny when he did that! And I looked at him, and he did it again, as did I!

And Mr. Patch was boiling mad just off the the left of the stuttering scientist, who was now redder'n a beet. And Kenny, Steve and I gathered our composure for a moment, and the Scientist continued on; "When it comes to m-molecules-he was getting it under control-we must understand that the very nature of m-m-m-m-m-mmmolecules are very interesti..." and that's when our buddy Stuey Nussbaum blurted out a short version of his classic laugh which we all knew so well, but then caught himself like a gentleman should, and stopped his mouth and tried to compose his face. But it was during those intense moments of Stuey endeavoring to compose his face, with a stifled and hilarious smile upon it, that the rest of us "stoned out of our gourders" finally lost it. At first we all just looked at each other back and forth with this "volcano of laughter bursting beneath the surface" look, which we desperately were trying to hold in, but then finally, to no avail, we errupted. We laughed horse laughs until the tears ran down our faces. We were laughing so hard that our stomachs hurt! And all the while, Mr. Patch is yelling; "Get out! Get out you little sons of bitches! Get out of my classroom forever! You are never ever welcome back here! You are nothings! Leave leave!" And we left, holding our stomachs and wiping the tears from our eyes as we headed for the office. By the time we got there, Mr. Patch had already talked to Mr. Brockdorf, the assistant principal, and told him what we'd done, who in turn, just looked at us and shook his head and told us to sit down until the bell rang. And we did, and then we all burst into laughter again, and Mr. Brockdorf came out of his office and looked at us, grinned, and then went back into his office again, which caused us to laugh all over again. OMG our bellies hurt from that!

But man, I swear, when I became a Christian believer, it was things like that that I asked God to forgive me for! NOT for "smokin dope, drinking alkyhall and chasin wimmen! I asked him for forgiving me for having done things like that that hurt people. Oh man oh man, that was aweful...But, it was funny too. Well, ya had to be there...

I had a similar experience. Nobody got hurt, but the dope humor thing...yeah. I was in 11th grade and everybody knew I was a stoner. Had choir 4th hour. That day I came stoned on mesc. I was peaking. So I tried to sit in the back row with the basses (I was a tenor) but the teacher made me take my regular seat, right under the guy. OK, he was standing up to lead like usual and I was sitting in a chair roughly 3 feet from the guy.

At the time we were doing material from Jesus Christ Superstar. I had the same solo in 'Hosanna' that Ian Gillian had on the album, but this guy had a dip .... arrangement for the solo and I preferred to sing it like it was on the album and the guy didn't like that. Most choir teachers I had from 7th thru 12th grade seemed to have a nutty streak. A healthy nutty streak, but a nutty streak nonetheless. This guy didn't; he was dry and deadpan.

So when we were going to practice 'Hosanna' that day, right before we started singing, he plants his face in my face and says (I kid not), "Uh, about your solo...could you please sing it straight? Uh, yes, could you sing it straight? Thank you." Remember, I'm peaking. I'm laughing right now recalling this more than I laughed then. I figured if I laughed full force then they would all KNOW something was up. It's one thing to get sent to the principal's office on pot, but mesc? Mmmm...NO.

I sang the solo mimicking Ian Gillian as usual and then after the song was over I pleaded with the guy to let me do it that way all the time citing the way it was done on the album. Others in the choir echoed support for me. The guy reluctantly gave in. But the whole stoned humor thing. There's nothing like it.

Chas enters the confessional...

I never smoked pot in school or came near the stuff until I was in my late 20's. I think I was about 27 (about 1997) - still in TWI - and freshly divorced. I was renting a house from another believer - she lived in AZ during the summers...

Anyhow, my bud smoking buddy came over and said, "You have to try this!"

Me: "Uh.... I dunno.... I've never tried it before... what do I do?" (I felt so geeky about it - like I was the last person on earth to try it when everyone else already had.)

So we sparked one up.... it was very good... and VERY strong.

I remember time flew by - it got very late. He decided to drive home but couldn't remember how he got there... So... I tried to draw him a MAP! Oh, yeah... it was as bad as you could imagine. I couldn't make two straight lines intersect! WAIT! No - I couldn't make two stright lines - PERIOD! And it was a scream - we laughed about my map until we thought our ribs would come out thru our sides. OMG - it was the funniest damn thing in the world. We could hardlyl talk - but we could laugh.

The best part - the next day... I was laying out in the sun, on the back deck of the house with that warm brown feeling you have the next day. Totally relaxed. Very cool. Very crispy. Like autumn leaves.

When I was a WOW in South Central Los Angeles (76/77) at the age of nineteen, I was already done with Mary Jane. I hadn't smoked it for two years, and like I said before, I'd quit before I ever went to twig. And one day, my two WOW "cousins" (they were in the other family), Jeff and Dick, showed me a bag of pot that they'd found. It was about a dime bag. They asked me if I wanted to get high with them that night and drive around Hollywood. But I told them no way, I just didn't do that anymore. And so, that evening, off they went in Jeff's Chrysler New Yorker to cruise Hollywood Blvd and the Sunset Strip. And wouldn'tcha know, they "forgot" to put gas in the car, and when they ran out, they had no idea as to where they were. They were lost somewhere near Hollywood, and it was WAY PAST MIDNIGHT. They called our 6th Corps branch leader and told her of their perdicament, but had no way to tell her where they were. And so, the call was made to we in the other family who had been doing a prayer vigil for them, and were told that they had been found, "sort of". And so, they had to try and ask some late night stree people to tell them where they were, and finally, they came up with some directions, and Nancy Jo, the BC finally went and got them. And later, Dick and Jeff told me their story, about how stoned they got, and how dumb they felt when they ran out of gas and didn't know where they were. I never ratted them out of course, but for me, it was another confirmation on just how bad that stuff is...

P.S.

And Groucho, now I see Your 49th State thing was an attempt at humor. Okay, I get it... :rolleyes:

P.P.S.

Too funny Chas!

Edited by Jonny Lingo