GreaseSpot Cafe

Marijuana pros and cons

GrouchoMarxJr

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnny-

My friend just told me about the Medical Journal (I think in Europe) they do have clinical proof that it does lead to psychosis later on in life. So, yes, I heard this. It is interesting. Thanks for sharing it

Interesting, when I was studying nursing (and quit) I was in an Alzheimers unit and a nurse said to me -- that our alzheimers will look different because of all the drugs our generation did.

Johnny-

My friend just told me about the Medical Journal (I think in Europe) they do have clinical proof that it does lead to psychosis later on in life. So, yes, I heard this. It is interesting. Thanks for sharing it

Interesting, when I was studying nursing (and quit) I was in an Alzheimers unit and a nurse said to me -- that our alzheimers will look different because of all the drugs our generation did.

did she mean worse? pretty interesting dot.

I think a valid experiment is pretty much impossible..

giving several groups a controlled substance.. tracking them for YEARS..

the current OPINION of the substance would render the experiment unethical, to begin with..

it would be like having people in several groups ingest a few milligrams of benzene every day, and tracking the group to see how the group's statistics of occurence of cancer varied from a control group.

Correlational studies are quick, cheap.. but proof of correlation does not prove causation.

Somebody did one once on seatbelt usage. After the new law, emergency rooms showed a significant higher incidence of people being treated for accident injuries. But one could not reasonably argue that wearing seatbelts caused accidents.

Edited by Mr. Hammeroni

• 4 weeks later...

Without me having to go through this whole thread, can someone answer this for me, does pot have the same effect on you as alcohol when you've had just a few too many to drink, what I'm trying to ask is does pot impair your judgement like alcohol does when you are driving?

Cowgirl

Without me having to go through this whole thread, can someone answer this for me, does pot have the same effect on you as alcohol when you've had just a few too many to drink, what I'm trying to ask is does pot impair your judgement like alcohol does when you are driving?

Cowgirl

Actually Cowgirl, I suppose it depends on the brand of pot you’re thinking of smoking, and how much thc ?? Then when you’re sufficiently “stoned” write to me and we’ll discuss the important word...”IMPAIRED”!! :)

You might even phone me while you’re driving to give me a “reality check”! Blood pressure, heart rate, lights flashing by, and all the thoughts you can come up with BEFORE you start with some Canadian Bourbon!! :spy:

And just for fun, I’ll record the conversation for the Grease Spot Sunday Sermon! :biglaugh:

Bump

Cowgirl

Cowgirl

I will try to answer your question with a serious reply.

It sounds, from your question, like you have not experienced pot usage.

It is my opinion that they(alcohol and pot) are not synonymous.

When you have had too much to drink, your vision, spacial perception, sense of balance, etc. is compromised.

But, to a large extent, your sense of reality(whatever that means) is still intact.

Pot on, the other hand, distorts one's sense of what is real and what is relevant as well.

It may suddenly become fascinatingly important to focus your attention on the texture of your car's upholstery or marvel at how your dashboard lights have an incredibly warm sort of glow to them that you had never noticed before.

That's not exactly a good thing at 65 mph!---- or if you happen to be discussing your erratic driving with a member of the local law enforcement agency.

Hope that didn't sound too much like a lecture from Grandpaw!

Just thought I would throw this in here.

Back in the 80s, I went out partying to the clubs in Chicago, and had ONE watermelon shot the whole night. Of course I was smoking my reefer throughout. On the way home, on the expressway, I was smoking a big ole doobie, and a state trooper pulled me over. He told me I was "dragging" the road. I think that was how I drove normally, considering I had gotten pulled over for that once before stone cold sober.

I had put out my big ole doob as soon as I saw those flashing lights, and he had me step out of the car to give me the "drunk test." He told me he smelled alcohol on my breath. I told him the truth. ONE watermelon shot about 3 hours ago. I passed the test easily and he let me go. I wasn't drunk! I pulled away and relit my big ole doob.

Looking back on it, or maybe even at the time, I really couldn't believe he couldn't smell the dope on me. But I guess he was more concerned with the alcohol he smelled on my breath?

There sure are a lot of posts in this thread, I certainly hope our good friend W isn't watching ;)

Cannibus like most other drugs is neither good nor bad, it just is. It is our use of the drug that causes problems.

Some people can use it with no negative effects, other people can use it and end up really ....ied up.

I think it is like the disclaimer for a heart drug, may cause strokes heart attack, indigenstion and sleeplessness, diarhea incontinence or heart palpitations...

heck drinking milk can cause serious mental health problems if you are lactose intolerant

I am more concerned with the drivers that are driving an automobile under the influence of prescribed drugs than I am with those that drive slightly stoned on marijuana.

It was always my experience that when stoned, you are a MUCH more careful driver cause you don't WANT that cop to pull you over and smell the reefer smoke

Well yes and no, Ive been careful to the extent of driving at three miles an hour,(and getting pulled over for it) which isnt exactly a good thing.

I also recall getting incredibly lost on roads that I have driven hundreds (thousands?) of times, or taking the normal ten minute drive to a friends house that somehow seems to last for hours or even days.

I dont mind stoners (well most stoners some are a little too out there) but pot alters perception way too much for me to consider that driving would ever be considered to be a safe activity...

now playing music on the other hand can be fun...but I never remember what the heck I played that sounded sooo good at the time

Edited by mstar1

being impaired while driving is a bad thing.

my pet peeve is the old people , ok we had one run over 7 people here and drive away , (didn't notice them)

I live near very well to do income suburbs and these guys are getting to darn old to drive anymore and the kids are NOT going to take their license and the attorneys pay ..

i think with our ever increasing older generation something should be done to retest these maniacs that have had the license for 75 years and have no problem on the highway, except if it is dark out or over 30 miles an hour or if something get in their path.

Wow. I can see if you are old and should not be driving, but my guess is, when you are 87 years old, have to be tested by the DMV every year, just want to do your own driving locally to go bowling or buy your own groceries, that your attitude towards "old people" might come back to haunt you.

Keep breathing, you'll get there. My dad used to say that.

I think teens having a license is scarier. More accidents and deaths. Illinois just passed a tough "teen law" no more kiddies cruising together. LONG time overdo. I think every state should do it. I'm more concerened about some 16 year old with a license for 2 months killing me than an old person, believe me.

Edited by RottieGrrrl

I'd be curious what "something" you suggest. Its been an issue in my family as my father is 90(next week) and my family is divided on the issue. Some want to take it away solely because of his age, and not based on his skills

He gets tested every two years, and imo is actually a much better driver than he used to be, more aware just slower, which means he drives slightly under the speed limit instead of the 15-20mph over like most other people on the road.

His eyesight is good and awareness and reactions good, his doctor has given him the thumbs up, as has the registry of motor vehicles.

I'd be the first to step in if I thought he was dangerous.

Im actually more concerned with stoned teenagers, and stressed out, rushing, multitasking soccer moms than I am with him. Those are the real maniacs, of course a lot of older folks should lose their licenses as well, but I would like to see it according to their skill levels in driving.

Licenses are way too easily attainable I personally wish that the standards would be raised

Rottie

that would be fine IF they were tested and if they lost their license after several serious accidents or a stroke until they could be rehabed here in NY that is not the case. some realize night vision is very compromised, some will give up their right to drive when they think it is time.

very few.

in this community we have few resources for the elderly to maintain a active life and get their needs meant dr. vists on the our system is very expensive.

also these people have had their license for years and do not want to give it up.

no i do not blame them.

but i do not blame the many many folks hurt and killed by them every year either.

Rottie

that would be fine IF they were tested and if they lost their license after several serious accidents or a stroke until they could be rehabed here in NY that is not the case. some realize night vision is very compromised, some will give up their right to drive when they think it is time.

very few.

in this community we have few resources for the elderly to maintain a active life and get their needs meant dr. vists on the our system is very expensive.

also these people have had their license for years and do not want to give it up.

no i do not blame them.

but i do not blame the many many folks hurt and killed by them every year either.

folks who have a loving involved family do not fall into the issue. you would know when or if your dad was getting confused. many have no one who keeps track of how they are really doing in life untill something bad happens.

they do not test them here and they get to keep their license even after a stroke, they are highly suggested to give it up but can not be forced and they get attornys to keep it even after a bad accident.

i worked in a nursing home those visting their relatives or friends could barely walk yet they had pulled in by their own car!

teens are a trip a good measure is NOW you can put a camera in the car that is hooked up to your internet, hello you know who is doing what, also those tracking devices that tell your cell phone exactly where they happen to be every minute.

and confusion