GreaseSpot Cafe

Corps Weddings

wrdsandwrks

Our 26th Wedding Anniversary is coming up in a week. We were married by VP and LCM on July 16, 1981 2 days after graduating from the 9th Corps. It's just a little strange when I pull out the wedding pictures to show my kids (or anyone else) and they want to know who all the rest of those people are. How many other Grease Spotters were married in Corps weddings?

Any memories you want to share?

I was scared to death. I cried all night the night before the wedding and almost called it off the day of the wedding. I'm glad I didn't!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not being Corps, I didn't have a Corps wedding (obviously); but I did go to the weddings the year after yours. My first full-year TC was 10th Corps, and she married another 10th. I think I was her most faithful sponsor, next to her folks, so she invited me. I turned out to be a double bonus, because a 9th Corps grad who took over the Champaign branch and was my BC for several months was also married that day, to a Family Corps woman. He and his wife live near Houston, now, so I see them frequently. The 10th Corps couple live in Oregon now, but we still keep in touch. Hard to believe it's been 25 years!

I also attended a wedding at Rome City between a 10th Corps man and a FC 8 woman, both friends of mine from Illinois. Sadly, they split up several years ago.

George

We were married in the Corps wedding 24 years ago tomorrow. It's been a wonderful 24 years for both of us. I thought our wedding was the coolest. Wrdsandwks. I worked photography during your corps weddings. I forget who I photographed but it was really nice. I'm glad I got to do it

I wasn't a part of any of the group weddings, but went to some. I would love to hear some of the details of how your day and the weddings were structured.

The reason I ask is that by the time they did the weddings for the 18th corps, they had each couple set up their own individual ceremony. They had to find their own minister, book their own room or space on campus (HQ) and get friends to do their own setup and take-down. I went to several different ceremonies that day. That evening, there was one big reception party under the big top. All the separate wedding cakes were displayed (I can't remember if each couple got to request what they wanted or just the colors/flavors of their cake????) I do remember assisting the gal who always made all the special cakes at HQ (she was so gifted!!!) and watching her work on the beautiful decorations that would go on each cake...

I'm guessing this is quite different than what the early corps had, since I've seen pics of all the couples together with Vic or LCM at the front...

I coordinated grounds during the 8th Corps weddings. Talk about work! But it was pretty neat to be in the back ground of it. Some of those 8th Corps guys seemed pretty excited to be able to take a few days off for an imitation honeymoon at the ROA.

We were married in the Corps wedding 24 years ago tomorrow. It's been a wonderful 24 years for both of us. I thought our wedding was the coolest. Wrdsandwks. I worked photography during your corps weddings. I forget who I photographed but it was really nice. I'm glad I got to do it

Happy Anniversary guys! Sure happy that there were at least some good results from TWI. Here's to many more!

I don't remember either who took our pictures, but they are very nice. Thanks for doing that.

group weddings kind of turn me off

Yeah, I know what you mean, it isn't the kind of wedding I would choose today, but at the time it seemed to be the thing to do.

I remember going to, I think it was Kansas City, with a group of "brides" to go shopping for a wedding dress. Maybe you went too, I can't remember who went, but I had a really hard time finding a dress I liked.

I wasn't a part of any of the group weddings, but went to some. I would love to hear some of the details of how your day and the weddings were structured.

The reason I ask is that by the time they did the weddings for the 18th corps, they had each couple set up their own individual ceremony. They had to find their own minister, book their own room or space on campus (HQ) and get friends to do their own setup and take-down. I went to several different ceremonies that day. That evening, there was one big reception party under the big top. All the separate wedding cakes were displayed (I can't remember if each couple got to request what they wanted or just the colors/flavors of their cake????) I do remember assisting the gal who always made all the special cakes at HQ (she was so gifted!!!) and watching her work on the beautiful decorations that would go on each cake...

I'm guessing this is quite different than what the early corps had, since I've seen pics of all the couples together with Vic or LCM at the front...

The 9th Corps weddings were at Emporia, around the pond. VP and LCM stood on the gazebo and led the proceedings. All the couples were arranged around the pond with seating for their own guests. Each couple also invited their own minister to stand with them and give the covenant of salt and pray and prophesy (I think). I forget if the vows were said individually or altogether with VP. Then each couple lined up to stand for pictures and I think prayer with VP and LCM on the gazebo. (The day is kind of a blur, since 1. it was so long ago and 2. I was an emotional wreck because I didn't sleep the night before because I was so nervous.)

I remember my dad walking me ( I think from the basement of Wierwille) to our place around the pond and where Chuck and our minister friend (M*rk Lew*s) and best man (D*nnie Lam*) and my maid of honor (Sheil* McD*nald) and others were waiting. It was really windy around the pond and I was trying to keep my hat from blowing off. We were very thankful that it didn't rain. I think after the ceremony we had pictures in Weirwille. We had an individual reception the day before at a local hotel.

i'm glad you're glad

i was one of the others in that group pic

i'm divorced

so sad

Sorry ex! I remember you guys made a really cute couple.

Edited by wrdsandwrks

How did the non-TWI parents deal with this set up? Were they okay or freaked out by it?

Chuck's Mom and Grandma came out for the wedding and my Dad gave me away. I think they were all pretty resigned to our life in TWI after all those years, they were very supportive.

I agree.

Me too! Like I said, I wouldn't choose to have that kind of wedding today but it is an experience that we shared with many other Way Corps grads. Some have marriages that lasted, some didn't. Last time I checked, TWI was and still is a cult.

But a lot of people put a lot of loving care into making it a nice day for us and I am very appreciative.

And hey, it was cheap! I think we spent $200.00 on the wedding. When I hear what some people pay to get married I'm glad we didn't go that route. My Dad paid for the reception, I think he was relieved that he didn't have to spend a fortune for the wedding too.

Me too! Like I said, I wouldn't choose to have that kind of wedding today but it is an experience that we shared with many other Way Corps grads. Some have marriages that lasted, some didn't. Last time I checked, TWI was and still is a cult.

But a lot of people put a lot of loving care into making it a nice day for us and I am very appreciative.

And hey, it was cheap! I think we spent $200.00 on the wedding. When I hear what some people pay to get married I'm glad we didn't go that route. My Dad paid for the reception, I think he was relieved that he didn't have to spend a fortune for the wedding too.

Thank you for sharing your memories. Happy Anniversary. :)

...I think it's illuminating to examine HOW and WHY these group weddings began in the first place...

I am of the opinion that Wierwille used this occasion to make a public demonstration of the "success" of his ministry...it was large and it was visible...and it drew attention to the fact that all those getting married were doing so under the umbrella that he provided.

I also believe that he was copying the Moonies who did it first...only theirs was much larger.

Yep we were married in a Corps wedding after 18th corps. We had to arrange things like HighWay said. The bad part was that some of our best friends got married the exact same time as us. They had a morning wedding time and an afternoon wedding time with one large reception under the big top. My roommate and I planned our decorations for our wedding together since we had the same location, just different times. We still have a picture of all the couples that got married that day with us.

And no-thankfully it wasn't a group honeymoon--but then again we didn't get one anyway--we got married then graduated the same weekend then went to rock of ages work detail (on opposite shifts!)

...I think it's illuminating to examine HOW and WHY these group weddings began in the first place...

I am of the opinion that Wierwille used this occasion to make a public demonstration of the "success" of his ministry...it was large and it was visible...and it drew attention to the fact that all those getting married were doing so under the umbrella that he provided.

I also believe that he was copying the Moonies who did it first...only theirs was much larger.

I was always under the impression the Moonies got the idea from TWI but then it's hard to say. Both the Moonies and TWI were into mass weddings in the late 70's. At the time I thought - Oh great! Here's another reason for the rest of the world to look upon us (TWI) as another "flaky religous" outfit. I was offended TWI was starting to act and look like the Rev. Sun Myung Moon group and I was convinced people would think we (TWI) were no different than the Moonies when in fact we were. Perhaps the Moonies came up with the idea first. The Moonies mass weddings got more attention by the media than TWI's, just because it was a much larger crowd. Perhaps that means there are even more flakier people out there than those in TWI?

Could be. I think they said that Dr. started them because all the Corps wanted him to marry them and he didn't have the time to do all those individual weddings.

I also thought that the Moonies were different in that the leader arranged all the marriages. Anyone know if that's true?

I also thought that the Moonies were different in that the leader arranged all the marriages. Anyone know if that's true?

As I recall, Moonies met their spouses on their wedding day.

The point being, that any two believers can make a marriage work. (Sound familiar?)

George

wdsand works, I remember your wedding. I went to the party after you guys were wedded and remember meeting your dad. Great reception and still filled honored you guys would have me there. Oh, was I in the picture?

Hi Fellowshipper, Yes we enjoyed your "fellowship" at our wedding. Thanks for being there. Have to pull out pictures from the reception and see if you're in them.

As I recall, Moonies met their spouses on their wedding day.

That's what I remember too. I wonder if any of those couples are still together

The point being, that any two believers can make a marriage work. (Sound familiar?)

Actually, I'm not sure what they believed. I actually went to a Moonie indoctrination meeting once. I was a fairly new TWI member and I was in college at the University of New Orleans, sitting in the commons eating, I believe, when this "nice" young woman asked if she could join me at my table. I instantly thought I would "witness" to her, but of course she was "witnessing" to me.

We talked for a while and she invited me to this meeting they were having that afternoon. Shows how gullible I was at that time in my life, but I went on a bus with her and some other moonies to a meeting a hotel in a "seedy" section of town. Thankfully for me they weren't mass murderers

I honestly couldn't make heads or tails of what the presentation was about. Something about "god" being male and female and yada, yada, yada. That's really the only thing I could make sense of from the presentation. Anyway, being a recent PFAL grad and having started reading the Bible daily, I at least knew a little bit about God and the Bible and this just rang completely false.

The other memorable thing about that experience was that although they had provided transportation to the meeting, they weren't interested in providing me a ride home and I was stuck at this crummy hotel without a ride.

If I remember correctly the girl I met and several of her moonie buddies reciprocated and came to twig with me. I remember they were very interested in Doc Vic and suggested setting up a meeting between their Grand Poobah (don't remember his name, was it Sun Yun Moon or something) and mine.

Anyway, that's my moonie experience. :offtopic: