GreaseSpot Cafe

Why doesn't God just say what he means?

Reading Dot Matrix's prophecy thread made me think (again) about why God seemingly is so fond of speaking figuratively. When i hear stuff like that, i can't help but think, "Why doesn't He just say it? Why does it always have to be figurative, metaphorical, open-to-a-million-interpretations language?" It's always bothered me, even back in the way day. and it's made me skeptical (well, MORE than just skeptical) about things like personal prophecy. can't God Almighty just come out and say what he means? instead of "i am opening a new door for you," isn't it just as easy FOR HIM to say "there's a great new job waiting for you at 622 Main Street?"

i'm curious what people here think about it--from all sides.

I don't know. Need to know basis?

When the "time is right" (Kairos) seems to be a part of how God works.

What Daniel couldn't understand, and he was told to seal it until the time was right, well, when the time is right (now), then the figurative becomes very, literally, obvious.

Progressive revelation.

I don't think we are meant to know everything, all at once.

Its like a rose, as time unfolds, things we need to know unfold.

For example, like, when we read in the OT that Israel would be formed in a day, at that time people scratched their heads and said, how can that be??? but now, we look back and say, oh yeah, UN vote that day.

But, why would God want to say, on such and such day, the UN will vote to form the nation of Israel? Then Satan would have years to make sure there never was a UN and plan is thwarted.

I think God uses figurative and gives spirit to people to understand it. Without spirit, it would seem like nonsense.

My 2cents.

Edited by Sunesis

I think words carry a certain element of mystery.

why do we have so many different languages?

communication is more than the words of the alphabet isnt it?

A very large amount of communication comes through our "body language".

i do not think it is all about words... understanding is.. a relationship of sorts isnt it?

As sunesis without spirit it would seem as nonesense and since God is Spirit and Jesus christ now lives with God in that areana i believe that is a very key factor, believe on me type stuff and a relationship built in the place they live.

but i agree it is difficult for us, but they get that hopefully.

Sprawled out

You always make me laugh, "there's a great new job waiting for you at 622 Main Street?"

It is priceless

I know when I read the prophesy It spoke to me up to the music then that must be for another person -- maybe you? You are musical.

God likes to give revelation in symbols (not all the time) as well, at least to me and friends of mine. I have missed some of the symbols as well....

Faint

I like your handle and your answer

Welcome!

Carlos?

...What was it -- my accent? :asdf:

Maybe it was your sense of humor. Oh well.

Btw -- What do you think of the selection of emotes available here? Perhaps you can bring a few of your own selection on board if you like. It might be worth grabbing a few of them.

Edited by Larry N Moore

thanks, all.

the main problem i have with God's speaking figuratively is the same one i have with the bible as a whole. people are only too happy to try to interpret language that's up for interpretation. so you have thousands of religions, and all the strife and uncertainty--and worse--that come along with them.

if God meant for us--all of us--to know his will, it makes no sense to me that he would express it in ways that are not only easy to misunderstand, but actually lend themselves to misunderstanding. i understand why symbolic language is attractive to some. how beautiful poetry expresses things beyond words. but i'd rather the "instruction manual for life" was written in a more straightforward way.

It's not the "instruction manual for life".

It's not understood for simple reasons.

Of which you don't care to hear at this time.

Which is fine with me, no problem.

You want it on your terms.

Rather then wanting to know, you want it your way.

Perhaps the way to hear it is easier then your way.

I told you it's in code, decoded by the spirit.

This is what to learn, your spirit.

Few venture into their own selves to free themselves.

Seeing they see not.

Hearing they hear not.

Must be something to see and hear that just keeps coming.

Always will be, cause 'it' never shuts up. -ever.....

It's there, hidden in plain sight.

thanks, all.

the main problem i have with God's speaking figuratively is the same one i have with the bible as a whole. people are only too happy to try to interpret language that's up for interpretation. so you have thousands of religions, and all the strife and uncertainty--and worse--that come along with them.

if God meant for us--all of us--to know his will, it makes no sense to me that he would express it in ways that are not only easy to misunderstand, but actually lend themselves to misunderstanding. i understand why symbolic language is attractive to some. how beautiful poetry expresses things beyond words. but i'd rather the "instruction manual for life" was written in a more straightforward way.

But perhaps that is exactly the beauty of it. It's about you and God in your own unique relationship first, then your relationship with others. It's about my own unique relationship with God and others, it's about Cman's own unique relationship . . .

But perhaps that is exactly the beauty of it. It's about you and God in your own unique relationship first, then your relationship with others. It's about my own unique relationship with God and others, it's about Cman's own unique relationship . . .

Yeah...and funny how it's all one...all this unique stuff

How we were so beat into 'one mind' crap, is damaging.

There is so much to one it's incredible!

Humanity all connected, with so much to see........

Our relationship with many things.

It's not the "instruction manual for life".

ok, then, so what would YOU call it?

It's not understood for simple reasons.

Of which you don't care to hear at this time.

i don't?

You want it on your terms.

Rather then wanting to know, you want it your way.

i do?

I told you it's in code, decoded by the spirit.

oh, i see. because i didn't just accept your response as the truth, i don't want to know.

Few venture into their own selves to free themselves.

can you say "inscrutable?" no wonder you're OK with God talking in riddles!

Maybe God knew there would be a lot of people who couldn't make a living other than interpreting "His Word".

It's not unlike having to have a lawyer when you go to court because you don't know all the ins and outs of the legal system (though, I suspect, lawyers do a smidgen more good).

Thus endeth the sermon. :biglaugh:

Maybe it was your sense of humor. Oh well.

Btw -- What do you think of the selection of emotes available here? Perhaps you can bring a few of your own selection on board if you like. It might be worth grabbing a few of them.

:)

Are you taking exception to my choice of emoticon? I don't see how my selection of emoticons, differs from those available on the main board -- then again, I haven't spent much time, investigating my preference settings.

You have something in particular in mind?

Edited by FaintWhispers

I don't think God speaks to us in riddles.

It only seems like riddles because we don't grasp the big picture.

Do you think God speaks to you in ways that don't involve scripture?

Do you think He speaks to you in ways that don't involve words and language?

When you hold a newly born child and smell that unmistakable scent they exude, there is a certain type of "understanding" that sweeps over you. I think that sense of "understanding" is God speaking to you.

When you embrace someone who is dear to you as you both grieve the loss of a loved one, there is a certain feeling that wells up over the both of you simultaneously. I believe God is *speaking* to you at that moment.

No word studies, no lexicons, no classes or programs.------Just an inner sense of God giving you a lesson that transcends language as we know it.

Kinda like being in the same room as someone you've been married to for many years.

Just being in the same room is sometimes enough communication in itself without ever having to speak a word.

Find a place that exemplifies the wonders of nature and sit quietly drinking it in.

God will *speak* to you.

You will hear Him if you don't try to squeeze his message into words.

Written music, sheet music, musical score----Whatever you choose to call them, none of these are really "music" in and of themselves.

They are simply methods of explaining what has been played. (or is expected to be played.)

You can most certainly have music without the presence of the above mentioned.

God's word is like that.

The Bible, The Koran, The Torah-----They are all methods of trying to explain God's word.

They, in and of themselves, are not God's Word, no matter how accurately they are researched and translated.

They merely represent an attempted explanation of the essence of their message.

You can most certainly have God's Word without the presence of the above mentioned.

Edited by waysider