GreaseSpot Cafe

Are you Lost? Get a GPS Device

Hills Bro

I bought a GPS device this past spring and it's great. I have a service business that takes me all over from inner city to the off the beatin track backroads . I used to stop and look at a map to find out the street but now I just program the zip and address and the GPS takes me right in the driveway.

Anyone else enjoy this technology?

I dunno. If a person is really lost, don't think they could find themself because they are always moving, looking for themself..

:biglaugh:

Actually.. the radio club here has a group of people who play with GPS receivers and APRS (a wireless automatic packet reporting system). You put one of the things, a modem, and a radio in a car, and people can watch the little blip travel along a map. Pretty neat..

I bought a GPS device this past spring and it's great. I have a service business that takes me all over from inner city to the off the beatin track backroads . I used to stop and look at a map to find out the street but now I just program the zip and address and the GPS takes me right in the driveway.

Anyone else enjoy this technology?

Actually Hillsbro, we have a pretty cool desert Land Cruiser GPS which takes us around Europe but turns into a gray compass once you hit Morocco.

The voice is British & female and we call her “Pat”. Her CD is about 2 years dated because we sometimes travel on roads built after she was “processed”! She’s great to follow, as long as she’s not being a “shark” surfing in unknown waters! :biglaugh:

It's great and I find them very handy.

The only problem is that I gave mine to my parents as a gift because they were going to be taking a long drive and I had no plans to drive far for a while. Now I sort of need one because I will have a long drive in unknown areas, but I can't buy a new one yet. One of the few things that stuck with my from TWI is the whole "no-debt" policy. While I do have debt now, I have to pay it all off before I can buy toys. The only exception is my mortgage, which I know I can't pay off anytime soon.

I wonder if you can get one with a custom voice.

I want one that sounds like a character from one of those old 1940s movies.

"Gee, that was some swell drivin', Pal.

Now hang a *louie* at the malt shop and a *ralph* at the Bijou Theatre.

And ixnay on the eedspay if you see the gumball machine in your rearview."

Or maybe

"Pull over and park it, Dollface, if ya know what's good for ya."

Okay Okay I have to throw this in. I have had people end up at my doorstep at work, saying their GPS device led them there, where the actual address is like 2 miles in the opposite direction. Give me a clue why it does this, because Im ready to throw a tomato at the next person who tells me they are here for the job I advertised for. They are getting us mixed up with a temp agency down the street.

Edited by RottieGrrrl

I sometimes go to peaks that are trailess. one a few weeks back was 21 miles of bushwacking, boulder hopping, river fjording and downright nasty to get to. without a GPS it would have been ten times the work trying to navigate with a map and compass. Mine is 10 years old (I got it right after the end of the week.) and couldn't work without it. It's an old 12 channel and slow but once I start it up it takes about 20 minutes for it to synchronize but after that I leave it on and strapped to the top of my pack till I get home.