GreaseSpot Cafe

for this my bird was dead and is alive again ~ she was lost and is found

excathedra

how do you spell "wearing" "waring"

as in ...... me out

Well now, I suppose that would depend on where in the context you intend to place it.

:confused: Just kiddin'. It's "wear".

Everybody's heard

About the bird

The bbbird bird bird

The bird is the word---------------

What a great story!!! I'm thrilled for you getting one of your family back and after so long!

I would think it'd take at least a few days, maybe a couple weeks for her to adjust to being home. Sounds like you're doing fine, really.

And wearing you out? That sounds par for the course, too. You're a wonderful momma!

Elmo has his own cage, it lives in the closet. LOL. He and Cleo have always shared her cage since the day he moved in with us and that is how they want it. Cockies are very social, flock oriented birds, they like to be with others and it doesn't matter if it's another bird or their human, everyone the love they consider part of their flock.

You didn't say if your new bird is a male or female. If it's a male, then I'd advise reading up on breeding. They have those little books you can get at the pet stores about different subjects on different types of birds. I have one on breeding cockatiels, even though it has turned out one of ours is sterile because the eggs never develop and hatch. *sigh* They LOVE making them still though. Hahahaha. You will know if it happens, Rascal will make a new noise, what I call the horny sound and look like she's trying to almost lie out on the perch. The male will mount her front behind (she moves her tail to the side to allow him access to her vent) and then will put his vent to hers. They will go at it for 2 to 5 minutes depending on the couple and how good of a grip they have in the cage to allow them to do this. After about 4 days to a week after they start doing this, quite a few times a day with the case of my two, she will lay the first egg and then lay one every other day until done. They lay between 4 and 6 normally. The eggs hatch in the same order they were born in about 21 days, give or take a day or two.

If both are females, they they are just becoming friends and want to hang out together when they aren't sharing shoulder time on you. :) Enjoy them, it shows how much they love you when they sit on you together instead of just hanging out on the cage with each other. They want you, their whole flock involved in their lives.

Cockies do have attitudes as you know. Expect a fight or two now and then, but it's nothing to worry about. They normally settle their differences fairly quick and everything gets back to normal. I see Elmo reach over and give Cleo a peck on her head many times when he feels she's not doing what she should be, which is the same thing she does to him when she feels he is in the wrong. It's never really gone any further than that with my two, but I know with some birds new to each other it can take a couple weeks of some longer fights before they get the 'pecking order' arranged that they need for their flock, then all will be fine.

I'd let them choose the cage they want to live in. If they are happier together, let them share one and put the other one up as a spare in case it's ever needed due to one getting ill or their chosen cage developing a problem that needs to be fixed.

Hope all this helps you some. Feel free to ask me anything you aren't sure on when it comes to two birds and I'll help if I have the experience to answer it for you. Tell your son birds can remember a LOT and for a long time. Once Rascal gets used to his changed voice she will act the way she used to with him again, just give her the time to get used to it first and let her make the first approach to him to restart their relationship. When she's ready she will go to him as she used to, but pressing it by trying to make her do that now may scare her and delay the process, so let her pick the time when she feels it's all ok and it's really him.

The dogs I think probably came from her getting scared by dogs she came across when she was alone out there, before she was found and rescued by the family that cared for her till they were put in contact with you. She should settle in again with 'her' dogs once she is there awhile and feels secure again. Cleo has never been around a dog, but hearing one outside barking where we used to live would make her run to me for protection, I think from instinct. She knows the barking sound means trouble and will go to her flock for protection from it.... then sit and poop on me. LOL. (Actually she will stick her little butt out and do her best every time to not get it on me when she 'goes'. My chair sits on one of those plastic things they use in offices on top of the carpet so they roll easier and that makes it real easy to clean up then for me. Elmo doesn't poop as much, but he also doesn't eat people food with me when otu of the cage like Cleo does and I think that is the reason. He will hop on the cage when hungry and eat his seed, poop in there and then come back over and resume his stance on the top of my chair. He sits up there and protects Cleo and I from anything bad that could happen (or so he thinks at least, it's really cute). Cleo will vary from sitting on my shoulder and then climbing up to sit with Elmo for awhile thruout each day and night when they are out of the cage.

Love ya sweet lady. I'm still so thrilled you have your whole flock back together again now.

((((Exie)))),

What a very tenderhearted Momma you are, I never read Your prayer thread for your dear ((((("Rascal"!))))

Maybe someone will start a prayer thread for ((((((Twinky))))) to find her dear cat (((((("Twinkle")))))) to return home soon perhaps with the broomstick of Hillary Clinton to give to WhiteDove.

I am praying to read Twinkle's return home safely story and for God to protect her and your her families hears while you wait for her!

I betcha Rascal saw some dogs and wanted to befriend them like her "dogd" and they went after her.

You said she loves water and would not leave the kids alone that were splashing in the pool....

I bet she tried to befried a dog that frightened her.

Who knows how many little boys she flew to - thinking they were your child, only to be scooted off and yelled at. She is probably thinking she isn't sure if this time he is for real...

my cockatiel "rascal" flew away in mid-january

today we drove almost two hours away to another state

SHE IS BACK HOME !!!!!!!!!

can you believe it ?

these wonderful people (kids, actually) just found her around the first week in august !!!!!

So thrilled to hear about this!

ha !!!!

i'm in total shock. she never laid an egg before. she comes home sunday after 7-8 months away and on monday she lays an egg !!!!!!!!

i just read this on the internet :

Pet cockatiels will only lay eggs if they are "in love" with their owners. This display of affection reflects a very content pet bird. There are a few things you should do when your pet Cockatiel continues to lay eggs.

do you think that's the case ?

or was it love at first sight with bugaboo ????

i still can't get over this !

--

ps. i'll post a picture soon

You guys are too funny!

Ain't life good, to be able to talk about pets and such? And not the word as it applies to cockies.

Real cute of Rascal to bring a friend home albeit in utero. Clearly making sure she has a flock to hang out with.

I wrote you a "hooray, hooray" post yesterday, Exsie, and it went poof and I was too annoyed to start over.

So...hooray, hooray, yippee skippy!! I'm happy for you all.

And an egg? an EGG? Holy cow. What a bonus to a happy ending!!

I wonder if it's been fertilized.

it's been tossed sowwy !

i don't know why i can't put the picture here

thank you all

ExC, if you email it to me I will post it for you. Abigail0900@yahoo.com

BTW - I think this story of your Rascal is one of the coolest stories I've heard in a very very long time!

Edited by Abigail

ps. can you give me any pointers on attaching a pic ? thank you. i started a thread in forum questions but no one has answered yet

i used to be able to do it

All I did was make it smaller with Adobe Photoshop so it was under the 2 meg limit. Then just select it in the "browse" thingy below where you add the attachment.