GreaseSpot Cafe

The Touch Of The Master's Hand

dmiller

We've all heard docvic (well -- a lot of us have heard docvic) recite this poem.

The Touch Of The Master's Hand -- supposedly by an anonymous author.

Here's the poem, for those who haven't heard it, or would like to read it again:

Twas battered and scarred,

And the auctioneer

Thought it scarcely worth his while

To waste much time on the old violin,

But he held it up with a smile.

“What am I bidden, good folks”, he cried,

“Who’ll start the bidding for me?”

“A dollar. A dollar”, then two. "Only Two?

Two dollars and who’ll make it Three?"

Three dollars, once: three dollars, twice

Going for three but no,

From the room far back a grey haired man,

Came forward and picked up the bow.

Then wiping the dust from the old violin

And tightening the loose strings,

He played a melody pure and sweet,

As a caroling angel might sing.

The music ceased and the auctioneer,

With a voice that was quiet and low

Said, What am I bid for the old violin?

And he held it up with the bow.

A thousand dollars, and who’ll make it two?

Two thousand and who’ll make it three?

Three thousand once, three thousand twice

And going and gone said he.

The people cheered but some of them cried,

We do not quiet understand!

What changed its worth?

Swift came the reply,

The touch of a master’s hand.

And many a man with life out of tune,

And battered and scarred with sin,

Is auctioned cheap to the thoughtless crowd.

Much like the old violin.

A mess of pottage, a glass of wine,

A game and he travels on.

He is going once, and going twice

He’s going and almost gone.

But the Master comes and the foolish crowd,

Never can quiet understand.

The worth of a soul and the change that’s wrought,

By the touch of the Masters Hand.

We were talking about this poem on another website and one of my banjo-picking buddies (a music teacher in Florida), posted the following when the *anonymous* author issue was brought up. For the first time (tonight) I heard the story behind the poem, and thought you all might enjoy it as well. :)

(Yes -- I did check SNOPES, but found nothing). Seems Myra Brooks Welch

is a well-known poet with many poignant poems to her name, including this one.

Here is a snippet of the history of the author of Touched By The Master's Hand.

Enjoy.

From the BHO posting ------->>>>>

No, it's not by an unknown author. The author was Myra Brooks Welch.

Here is what I found on her and the beautiful poem, which I had heard but forgotten. Thanks very much for posting it any bringing back a wonderful memory.

"The Master's Hand" was written by Myra Brooks Welch. She was called "The poet with the singing soul." Her's was a very musical family. As a young woman, Myra's special love was playing the organ.

In 1921, she heard a speaker address a group of students. She said she became filled with light, and "Touch of the Master's Hand wrote itself in 30 minutes!" She sent it anonymously to her church news bulletin. She felt it was a gift from God, and didn't need her name on it. It's popularity spread like magic. Finally, several years later, the poem was read at a religious international convention - "author unknown." A young man stood up and said, "I know the author, and it's time the world did too. It was written by my mother, Myra Welch."

Then her name, as well her other beautiful works of poetry became known worldwide. All of her poetry told of the rejoicing she had in God's love.

What the world did not see, was the woman who created these masterpieces: Myra in her wheelchair, battered and scarred from severe arthritis, which had taken away her ability to make music. Instead, her musical soul spoke through her poetry.

She took one pencil in each of her badly deformed hands. Using the eraser end, she would slowly type the words, the joy of them outweighing the pain of her efforts. Her words, a joyous expression of the wonders of life, as seen by a singing soul that was touched by the Master's Hand.

As a friend turned to leave her home, Myra patted the arm of her wheelchair and said, "And I thank God for this!" Imagine being grateful for a wheelchair! But her talent lay undiscovered prior to her wheelchair days. Rather than becoming bitter, she chose to let her handicap make her better, and a wonderful new door opened for her.

I (for one) learned something new tonight.

David

Wayne Watson does a song based on this poem. Somehow or other, I've known for years that Myra Brooks Welch was the author.

I DO NOT BELIEVE that God GIVES us infirmities to make us stronger (or "discipline" us for that matter). I do believe that what we do with an infirmity can bring glory to God. Obviously, this woman's faith rose above physical problems.

That poem is one of my favorites. I read it at my mother's memorial service.

WG

Thanks, d miller. Great background.So, Dooj, did the Gospel singer recite it to music like vpw did? Suda
It was JD Sumner: And this was recorded towards the end of his life, so you can just imagine how it sounded when he was younger. VP would have heard this.

Thanks David

Jonny & Watered Garden you most likely knew because it was properly credited with her name in the little Album of Verse Booklets that were sold in the bookstore over the years in various reprints.

Or they might have read the thread where you and I discussed this poem.

http://www.greasespotcafe.com/ipb/index.ph...mp;#entry252618

You mentioned it was in that book, correctly credited, back then.

Or seen where someone asked about it later, I gave the name of the author,

and said it was posted here AND online.

Could be, but I think I knew before that. Probably ran across it somewhere else, as my family always had religious poetry and writings hanging around.

WG

Or they might have known some other way.

Seems I wasn't the only person who didn't see the Album of Verse,

but heard the poem, and seem to have heard it uncredited.

I'm stricter about PRINT, but I think that's not worth dismissing entirely.

That having been said, I don't want to push past making a note about it,

and am fine moving on from here.

I don't believe that I could say that in each and every case through the years that poem was read it was properly credited without exception. But I do believe that in most cases it was one of the things that VPW used that was. I personally, in all the many times on tape and in person that I heard it read don't recall it credited as anonymous. You may remember differently. Could it have been read at some point without a credit? Maybe , But I think through the record of print and tape one can see that more often than not it was properly credited. I would submit that speaks to the intent more so than the one or two exceptions.

I don't believe that I could say that in each and every case through the years that poem was read it was properly credited without exception. But I do believe that in most cases it was one of the things that VPW used that was.

Not when I heard him read it.

I personally, in all the many times on tape and in person that I heard it read don't recall it credited as anonymous. You may remember differently. Could it have been read at some point without a credit? Maybe.
It was when I heard him. I find it hard to imagine that was the ONLY time he ever left it off.
But I think through the record of print and tape one can see that more often than not it was properly credited. I would submit that speaks to the intent more so than the one or two exceptions.

I'd need access to extensive records of print and tape to speak on that with any degree of confidence.

But, more importantly, I'd have to CARE enough to review all those records over a poem.

What is the big deal if it was not credited? As long as it wasn't attributed to VP as the writer, it doesn't really matter if it was properly credited, to me anyways. Lots of things are spoken of and recited without proper accreditation. I was just telling a friend about how awesome it was to be playing in a band in a bar and how utterly cool it was to be playing my harmonica along with "After Midnight (we're gonna let it all hang down)", and I never mentioned the writer or the one who made it famous.

I too think the poem is truly inspired. It stirs the heartstrings, doesn't it? I think Dr. did a good job when he recited it. What a conundrum about how deeply DrW was moved by others' work... whether it was theological or artistic. He was an "adapter" and an adopter. Remember the Way Corps poem thingy? He "rewrote" Van Dyke:

What constitutes a school?

Not ancient halls and ivy mantled towers where dull traditions rule,

not spacious pleasure courts and lofty temples of athletic fame

where devotees of sport mistake a pastime for life’s highest aim,

not fashion or renown or wealthy patronage and rich estate.

Not one of these can crown a school with light and make it truly great.

But teachers strong and wise who teach because they love the teacher’s task

and find their richest prize in eyes that open and minds that ask.

Henry van Dyke

What is the Way Corps?

third to last line: "but equipped believers, ambassadors strong and wise, who teach..."

I think I can quote a line from Kahlil Gibran ... I remember reading it in college:

"They dip their pens in our hearts, and think they are inspired."

Edited by anotherDan

speaking of poetry.

I hooked up with Lonnell Johnson because years ago, I had one of his poems on my website. He was Googling for another poem I had on the site, and my site came up. Alongside the poem he was seeking was one of his own poems. He wrote me, saying... "imagine my delight..."

We later hooked up in person... I drove out to Shippensburg University, where he was doing a lecture on the blues. Had a great time with him afterwards over coffee, and sang him a song or two in the parking lot with my guitar. He's still Lonnell!

Good News Day

It's a good news day

no blues day

new shoes

no way to lose

What a good news day

It's a great day

I can't wait day

lift your voice

let's rejoice

Lawd, a good news day

It's a pay day

goin' my way day

no nay -- all yea

what you say

Such a good news day

It's a live it up day

overflowin' cup day

It's a bright and bubbly

doubly lovely

Sho-nuf good news day

Lonnell E. Johnson

What is the big deal if it was not credited? As long as it wasn't attributed to VP as the writer, it doesn't really matter if it was properly credited, to me anyways.

Since you asked....

We had this poem:

"God has no hands but our hands

with which to give His people bread.

God has no feet but our feet

with which to walk amoung the almost dead.

We say that we are His,and He is ours.

Deeds are the proof of this, not words,

And these are the proving hours."

which was written in the fourteenth century by St Teresa of Avila,

which some people went around, convinced vpw wrote it.

He hadn't given the writer's name, you see.

(Someone posted about how-when they read this poem once- another wayfer

insisted it was a vpw original, not Teresa of Avila.)

Then there was "If a Million People Love You",

which seems impossible to track to its original,

but versions predate when vpw started using it,

and vpw labelled it "by vpw" when the Album of Verse was printed.

When it was not credited, either quickly or slowly, it was taken to mean whatever it means when one

is writing something without attribution- "I wrote this."

Lots of things are spoken of and recited without proper accreditation. I was just telling a friend about how awesome it was to be playing in a band in a bar and how utterly cool it was to be playing my harmonica along with "After Midnight (we're gonna let it all hang down)", and I never mentioned the writer or the one who made it famous.

*rolls eyes*

When a garage band or whatever's playing, few people would expect the band to name who played

all the songs they're playing, unless asked.

They're a garage band. When they play something ORIGINAL, THEN there's an announcement.

Now,

if you put out an album, and don't put any credits on, that would be a different story...

thanks dmiller!................i, for one never knew who the author of this poem was......until reading this thread...........her poem, and her "story" are both remarkable!..........thanks for posting this!..............thanks to you too, doojable, for posting that j.d. sumnner rendition of it...........i much prefer having that rendition in my mind than the one i had before!.......................................................peace!

We had this poem:

"God has no hands but our hands

with which to give His people bread.

God has no feet but our feet

with which to walk amoung the almost dead.

We say that we are His,and He is ours.

Deeds are the proof of this, not words,

And these are the proving hours."

which was written in the fourteenth century by St Teresa of Avila,

which some people went around, convinced vpw wrote it.

He hadn't given the writer's name, you see.

(Someone posted about how-when they read this poem once- another wayfer

insisted it was a vpw original, not Teresa of Avila.)

I never thought he wrote the poem, and just because someone got their facts wrong or assumed something that they should not have. That somehow makes someone else responsible for their error? Like Jonny said people quote things all the time without giving the history behind it. He may not have given the author he also did not say he wrote it either, if you assume things that's your fault. I did not author the phrase .... happens either but I have said it I don't think anyone assumed I wrote it.

What is the big deal if it was not credited? As long as it wasn't attributed to VP as the writer, it doesn't really matter if it was properly credited, to me anyways. Lots of things are spoken of and recited without proper accreditation. I was just telling a friend about how awesome it was to be playing in a band in a bar and how utterly cool it was to be playing my harmonica along with "After Midnight (we're gonna let it all hang down)", and I never mentioned the writer or the one who made it famous.

Go to your Cd's. Pick one out where someone has done a cover song. Right there you'll see who the writer is.

It's called honesty. Yes, it can be argued that it is motivated by money through royalties, but it is also giving credit to the talent behind the song.

Go to your Cd's. Pick one out where someone has done a cover song. Right there you'll see who the writer is.

It's called honesty. Yes, it can be argued that it is motivated by money through royalties, but it is also giving credit to the talent behind the song.

I understand this most certainly. But, if I was having a party, say, and played a shuffle of CDs for the evening's entertainment, do I have to make sure to give the proper credit to the musicians who wrote and performed it before each song is played?

And since it was properly credited in the Album of Verse Booklets that were sold in the bookstore over the years, then I wouldn't think it necessary to mention the author's name every time I presented the poem.

And, by the way, speaking of how people thought VP wrote so many things only to find out that he did not, here is this: Kinda funny: Since I had rarely been to many churches at all, I thought that almost every song in the Sing Along The Way songbooks were written by someone in The Way International! What a maroon! But, I was only eighteen then. I remember when my Mom first came to twig, when we started singing "I Come To The Garden Alone", I was surprised to hear her say that this had been one of her favorites ever since she was young. Silly me!

Jonny - NO. That poem was recited on "All Aboard" The album where VP did that poem along with others to a musical background.

IF the proper credits are on that album - then that may be the reason why some know the name of the author. I never owned the album - so I don't know. I bet White Dove has the answer... maybe you do..

I'm not saying the author wasn't given credit. I'm speculating why there seems to be confusion on the matter.