Sexual abuse poll

lindyhopper

24 members have voted

1. 1. Where you sexually abused in twi

• I was sexually abused by VPW or LCM
    • I was sexually abused by a different leader in TWI
    • Sexual advances were made by VPW or LCM but nothing physically happened
    • Same as above but not VPW or LCM
    • I was "counciled" to get an abortion, and I did.

Reading Tex's story and blog I started wondering how many people here were subjected to this type of abuse. I know there have been plenty of discussions on the board before and plenty of people have come forward. I also know that there have been people on here who needed time before they came forward and perhaps there are still more in that sort of situation. I don't believe I have seen a poll of this nature before and I thought this would be a good way to get an anonymous count.

If you have other ideas that you don't feel are covered in the poll but pertain to the topic let me know. I am trying to stick to leaders in TWI, ones that might be considered apart of this dark side of TWI culture and not just other random a-holes that were involved on lower levels.

This obviously is not to minimize any other form of abuse that happened in TWI but just to get an idea of the scope of this particular area.

-lindy

Edited by lindyhopper

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lindy

Maybe you could add "I have since had an AHA! moment."

Well, probably not in those exact words.

Here's what I mean.

Suppose a certain male Limb leader frequently had a female believer stay over for the weekend when his wife was out of town on ministry business.

You know, to clean his house,etc.

30+ years ago, we were told it was wrong to consider anything was amiss and we should be ashamed to have such an "unrenewed mind" as to think otherwise.

Of course, years later, it is revealed that the Limb leader was a (yet unknown) notorious womanizer.

Thus, upon learning such information, one tends to see the little light bulb light up and exclaims----

AHA!!-----maybe it wasn't "unrenewed mind" on my part after all.

Just a thought

Lindy

Maybe you could add "I have since had an AHA! moment."

Well, probably not in those exact words.

Here's what I mean.

Suppose a certain male Limb leader frequently had a female believer stay over for the weekend when his wife was out of town on ministry business.

You know, to clean his house,etc.

30+ years ago, we were told it was wrong to consider anything was amiss and we should be ashamed to have such an "unrenewed mind" as to think otherwise.

Of course, years later, it is revealed that the Limb leader was a (yet unknown) notorious womanizer.

Thus, upon learning such information, one tends to see the little light bulb light up and exclaims----

AHA!!-----maybe it wasn't "unrenewed mind" on my part after all.

Just a thought

Well... I wasn't sexually abused. BUT there was, here in AZ, such a quirky situation not too unlike what you described... A certain "leader" lived as if he had TWO wives. Only one was officially his wife, the other lived in the house, spent lots of time with him and was his "personal assistant."

Most people that left twi in the 86-87 "exodus" recognized this situation for what it genuinely appears to be... which, of course, LOOKS awfully fishy... and from what I've heard, continues to this day, even though that particular leader is also no longer affiliated with twi.

The Lawsuits/ Sexual Misconduct section of www.abouttheway.org includes detailed stories of six women, including the two in well-known lawsuits against TWI. These are testimonies of the women themselves.

It also summarizes the John Lynn talk "Overview of Events" in which he estimates that at least hundreds, and probably "thousands" of women were sexually used or harrassed by leadership.

And yet in another thread a poster claims that mankind has evolved and grown. "Into what?" I ask.

Bumpy, it isn`t viewed as a joking matter when it happens to you personally. To treat abuse, whether it was physical, mental or spiritual as lighthearted and fodder for humor, indicates a serious lack of understanding of the life long impact of these actions.

It is what makes the abuse so heinous...

so what's the point of this link, Bumpy? what are you trying to tell us? that the violent nature of the inner workings of twi were the true impetus behind the rapes and other sexual abuse by top leaders?

[link that this post refers to removed]

Bumpy, it isn`t viewed as a joking matter when it happens to you personally.

ESPECIALLY THE KIND WHO SCUURRRY AROUND MAKING INCESSANT NOISE DISTURBING THE VILLAGE!! USUALLY THE SNAKES GET THEM, BUT SOMETIMES YOU FIND THEM IN BROKEN PIPE DRAINS. WHATEVER, THE VILLAGERS USUALLY EAT THEM WITH A GRAINY BROWN MIL! DELICIOUS!! <_<

THE TAIL IS FOR FLOSSING!! :eusa_clap:

Le Bump...

did you ever stop to consider that this section of the website, and particularly this thread, might not be the proper place for your sarcasm? That maybe a wee bit of discretion, decorum or whatever you want to call it might be in order?

Folks continue to tell their stories because other folks are still in TWI looking for a way out...

Folks continue to tell their stories because other folks insist on posting attacks on their character and their story...

Folks continue to tell their stories because other folks are still looking for a way to deal with certain aspects of their life...

Folks continue to tell their stories because as they do they are discovering themselves... surely you wouldn't deny them that would you?

I don't read the stories of some folks because I've already done so... but what of the 'newly out of TWI'? What of the person who just found this site?

To them, the new arrival, they're not reading 'the same old stories'... they're reading new information, they're discovering things that perhaps they didn't know... but felt.

Edited by Tom Strange

Le Bump...

did you ever stop to consider that this section of the website, and particularly this thread, might not be the proper place for your sarcasm? That maybe a wee bit of discretion, decorum or whatever you want to call it might be in order?

Tom, there was no "sarcasm" intended!

[remainder of post delted]

im not saying it is not true just that the story is awful a horror for the ladies who had to go through that .

bumpy calm down if it got deleted maybe because some where offended by its content it was graphic.

i believe you give these links to share news you feel is important to the discussion.. some may feel they are to much information i do not know .

THANKFULLY, can't say I was abused sexually. I asked my husband about it once because I wondered why I was never approached, like did I have two heads or something? This was way back when you only spoke of those things if you had an "unrenewed" mind, like WS wrote. Anyway, it wasn't that I wanted to be approached, just more like I doubted what I had heard because, like seeing a ghost or devil spirit or something, it just never happened to me. Anyway, hubby said something to the effect of anyone who knew me knew they wouldn't get anywhere anyway. Probably a smart comeback. However, it was suggested we get an abortion. That tequila just got in the way one night and before you knew it I was drinking penny royal tea or some such "natural" "remedy". After one cup I was so horrified with myself that I swore I'd never do anything bad again ever if I didn't abort. I didn't, then. But later had a miscarriage in residence. Was too far along for it to be the tea. Not trying to sound judgmental here. I have no idea what is right or wrong re abortion. Only know how I feel about it.

At any rate, there was no way for me to vote.