GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI Suing Insurance Carrier?

TheHighWay

On another thread someone asked for "proof" of The Way International suing (or threatening to sue) small churches over the rights to the name "The Way" and I was googling to find it (I know I've seen articles somewhere) and ran into this:

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/court-ohs...case_id-117294/

Anyone know why TWI is suing an Insurance carrier? The date is August 2007...

They've also got lawsuits against Charles Darnell and Mr. Gilmore.

If you're a lawyer you can look up lawsuits on the huge search engines. I had a lawyer look them up on LEXIS, I think it was. They've been suing and have been sued, for years. We were just never told about them.

If you're a lawyer you can look up lawsuits on the huge search engines. I had a lawyer look them up on LEXIS, I think it was. They've been suing and have been sued, for years. We were just never told about them.

That would probably be LEXIS/NEXIS, which deals with all published newspapers.

Apparently, the suits against Darnell and Gilmore deal with trademark infringement, which is pretty much self explanatory.

The one against the insurance company is a "diversity - contract" issue... whatever that means.

hmm. Insurance companies.. "John Doe" investigators and agents...

Weird.

What were they "investigating"?

I wonder how much longer the A**en suit settlement details will be sealed.. I don't think they can put it on ice like.. forever or anything? Or can they?

When I read "executive liability" "insurance companies", "investigators", "twi", "plaintiffs" and "defendants" in the same paragraph..

I wonder if the insurance companies refused to pay for loy's little transgressions..

This may go on an old thread, "Your abundant sharing at work". Lifted straight from the website linked above.

Search for: "the way international"

Results 1 - 20 of 20 Subscribe

August 24, 2007

Way International v. Turner et al DE Unassigned Judge Trademark Trademark Infringement

Plaintiff: Way International; Defendant: Carl A. Turner, Sr., Way Ministries Inc.

August 8, 2007

The Way International et al v. Executive Risk Indemnity Inc. et al OH Southern Rice Insurance Diversity-Insurance Contract

Plaintiff: The Way International, The Way International, Inc.; Defendant: Executive Risk Indemnity Inc., Executive Risk Inc., Chubb & Son, Inc., Baldwin & Whitney Insurance Agency Inc, Acordia Of Ohio LLC and others...

July 13, 2007

The Way International v. The Way Ministries, Inc. et al KY Western Simpson Trademark Trademark Infringement

Plaintiff: The Way International, Inc.; Defendant: The Way Ministries, Inc., Charles Darnell

May 12, 2006

The Way International v. Rose MD Chasanow Copyrights Copyright Infringement

August 16, 2005

The Way International v. Gilmore et al TN Western McCalla Copyrights Copyright Infringement

Law firms also use LEXIS for research finding law cases. LEXIS cites are now commonplace in briefs. There was another search engine for law cases, I forget what it is called now, our firm doesn't use it anymore.

This was about '98 I had a lawyer look up TWI lawsuits in Ohio. There were quite a few, mostly TWI being sued, some by "disgruntled" followers. I think there was one guy, my memory is hazy, maybe someone else will remember, who was disabled and had given most of his money to TWI and his family sued to get it back. When I was on staff, they had a staff attorney. Obviously, they had enough to keep a TWI "in-house" attorney working full time with a secretary. They had a falling out, he left in the early '80s.

I filed a suit for breach of contract for not honoring the green card commitment By denying any repeat classes. Through the attorney general of Kansas., They stalled the thing until LCM could redo the class which was why they did it ,there were others who were pressing the matter as well. So they just retired the thing and renamed it and let us all know that they were not offering PFAL anymore.

Edited by WhiteDove

so it's YOUR fault we got that awful class!! :CUSSING::biglaugh:

just kidding WD, I'm glad someone called them on the carpet over that crap. they got away with way too much.

Holy Crap, White Dove !!!!!!

That's just an amazing piece of information... all those BS rants about getting revelation from God that Doc Vic's class was out in the world, and the devil was using the cop-outs to undermine the work of the ministry... blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...

Once again the truth was hidden deep underneath: twi was getting pushed to hold to their word and let pfal grads retake the class no matter what... geeeeez.

I keep telling myself I will NOT be surprised any more by what I might read or discover about them -- there have already been so many bombshells -- and yet here we are, and I find myself stunned at the depth of the deception.

Makes me just want to scream.

Abigail Here

I will see if I can access any information through PACER when I'm at the office. Twinky, do you still have the links where you found the case names? If I had the court file number it would make it a lot simpler. If not, I will still look.

Edited by Sushi

Holy Crap, White Dove !!!!!!

That's just an amazing piece of information... all those BS rants about getting revelation from God that Doc Vic's class was out in the world, and the devil was using the cop-outs to undermine the work of the ministry... blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...

Once again the truth was hidden deep underneath: twi was getting pushed to hold to their word and let pfal grads retake the class no matter what... geeeeez.

I keep telling myself I will NOT be surprised any more by what I might read or discover about them -- there have already been so many bombshells -- and yet here we are, and I find myself stunned at the depth of the deception.

Makes me just want to scream.

I think they were concerned about the number of classes floating around as well maybe even one in Kansas but i wouldn't know anything about that :rolleyes: And I think LCM wanted to make his mark in Way history maybe as well. But it was dishonest and I hold them to the same standard as anyone else.

It did make for some interesting dialog though for several months. One of the things their attorneys asked for was a copy of my receipt that I had paid for the class. Having anticipated that move I had requested my permanent records before exiting. I answered that of course 1. no one ever got a receipt and if they did 2. really who would have it 19 years later. Then they wanted a copy of my original green card. So I sent back a page from their class instructors guide showing that they requested all of the signup cards be sent in with the payments and that their forms were not duplicate forms, so again no one would have a copy because they did not issue any. I just let them build their case which of course was that since I had no records and neither did they of my taking the class. Then I had no valid claim. Then I sent the copy of my permanent records on their letterhead with the postmarked envelope listing a gazillion class repeats ....... OOOPS I also sent the requirements for the other classes which of course was the foundational first.

so it's YOUR fault we got that awful class!! :CUSSING::biglaugh:

just kidding WD, I'm glad someone called them on the carpet over that crap. they got away with way too much.

Oh no your not pinning that rap on Mr. Feathers...............

Edited by WhiteDove

I just went to the link in the first post and clicked on Dockets under The Way International:

Plaintiff: The Way International

Search Dockets [ Dockets ]

Litigious lot, aren't they? I really would never have thought it.

To think that they also considered suing The Way in GB for passing off/use of copyright material. None of this litigation is about "moving the word." It's all about protecting the income base.

Suing the insurance carrier might be one thing.. but all of the other actions?

So much for brother not taking brother to "the law".. "suffer yourselves to be DEFRAUDED"..

interesting that they'd stick to a strict definition of debt. "owe no man ANYTHING.."

no mortgages.. no debt OF ANY KIND. No loans..

but then they simply ignore a plain command.. "don't take a brother to court"..

"you're better off getting ripped off.. let it go.."

Maybe they don't consider them "brethren"..

Or maybe they just don't care "what da word says" any longer.

Maybe the research department found an old manuscript somewhere. "when thou artest wronged, though shalt surely crush thine enemies under the foot of lawyers at the gates of da city.."

Saw it a long time ago, just can't remember where they found it..

:biglaugh:

"when thou artest wronged, though shalt surely crush thine enemies under the foot of lawyers at the gates of da city.."

Saw it a long time ago, just can't remember where they found it..

:biglaugh:

Did you see it in the original?

Okay, I found the cases on Pacer. Most of them have to do with copyright infringement and trademark infringement.

TWI v The Way Ministsries is a trademark issue

TWI v Rose (as in Stokely Rose former Coordinator of Trinidad and Tobago) was for illegal reproduction, distribution, and use of PFAL

TWI v Amy Gilmore, Living Tree Academy was for illegal reproduction, distribution and use of TWI materials.

TWI v Executive Risk is an insurance issue. Executive was TWI's provider of liability Insurance during the Allen, Parker and Peeler suits. Executive paid for the defense in both the Parker and Allen suits but denied coverage in the Peeler suit, because the policy (like most liability policies) does not cover "intentional affliction of emotional distress."

TWI is now suing them to try and recover their expenses for defending that suit.

I have copies of the Complaints in all but the Living Tree suit (for some reason pacer wouldn't allow me to access that document). If anyone wants to see them, send me your e-mail address via Private message and I will scan them and send them to you.

:redface2: Thanks, Tom. It really didn't take much time though. :)

I think the only really interesting (though not surprising) thing in this suit is that apparently the insurance company refused to renew their policy because of the lawsuits.

Edited by Abigail

I think the only really interesting (though not surprising) thing in this suit is that apparently the insurance company refused to renew their policy because of the lawsuits.

Good for them!!

What has the world come to when an insurance agency has more moral credibility than a religious ministry? :rolleyes:

Living Tree Ministry... That's the Belezian group, isn't it?

I believe that is the Belezian group. I always wondered how they were getting away with selling the PFAL materials so openly... do they have any protection being outside this country?

I think so. Belezian law is a little more lenient as far as copyright is concerned.. unless something has changed in the last couple of years.

As long as the material in dispute is essentially abandoned, almost anything goes.. make and sell as many copies as you wish. If twi concurrently sold and ran pfal classes though, it would be a different matter. Even then, they'd have to prove that the Belezian group substantially dipped into their "market share".

So if "Living Tree" is incorporated in Belieze.. and they publish in such a manner.. I think twi's attorneys would have to convince a court to usurp Beliezian autonomy in the matter.

Actually, Living Tree acknowledge its use of the TWI materials and stipulated to a judgment agreeing they would stop using them. There was a similar outcome with respect to the use of the name "The Way Ministries".

It would appear the only two cases still active are the one against the insurance company and the one against Stokely Rose. It is my guess that in the end Stokely Rose will lose as well.

Now the insurance companies.. I'd think that twi has picked on someone a lot bigger than themselves.. lots more lawyers, lots deeper pocketbook..

interesting. twi can't find anyone who would insure them? Or consider them too much of a LIABILITY to sell them "normal" insurance?

I see they are suing the "investigators" also. Looks like somebody looked more than a few "matters"..

looks like they had a whole TEAM of investigators checking out some stuff..

I wonder what it all was..

Would seem to think that if it went to court, there'd be depositions.. testimony.. might not even be sealed..