GreaseSpot Cafe

Revealing the "Truth" behind the birth of Jesus

I was perusing the STF website in an attempt to find out more about what STF has been up to during the time that MG was removed as president and his later resignation from the BOD, and happened upon a 1+ hour teaching on the birth of Jesus. I wondered what JWS could add that no one else had uncovered.

Well, nothing. The hour-long podcast delved into the notion that Jesus was born at someone's house instead of an "inn," and that this had been known by biblical scholars for a long time. Duh! Then we get regaled by a purely speculative account of what could have happened during the birth of Jesus and how adding this speculation makes the birth of Jesus so much more meaningful.

John, I was really hoping that you would have gotten into more of why Matthew's account of Jesus' birth is so very different than Luke's. In Matthew, it appears that Mary & Joseph actually live in Bethlehem, and they take off for Egypt after God warns them about Herod. I wanted you to explain how a "star" could guide people to Herod, how Herod's people would know about Bethlehem, yet be utterly unaware of a star that attracted people from the east. I wanted to know how a star could literally be above one house, given the relative proximity of dwellings. I wanted to know why everyone didn't go, considering Bethlehem is an easy 2.5 hour walk from the old city of Jerusalem. I wanted to know how you reconcile this account with Luke's version, which puts Mary and Joseph in Nazareth, who go to Bethlehem only after a logistically mind-boggling census brings them to Bethlehem just days/hours before Jesus' birth, and how Joseph and Mary returned to Nazareth with Jesus instead of heading off to Egypt as is stated in Matthew.

In light of the huge variance in the birth accounts, doesn't focusing on how a word is rendered in English seems a bit trivial?

• Upvote 2

yeah...probably the best he can do

on a scale of 1 to 7...using a spectrum of faith development...i can't help but give the guy a 2.5

which seems around average for religious leaders today (i give vpw a 1.5)

i can only hope that perhaps our global collapse will stimulate some sort of development in our next generation of religious leaders

and maybe even lift the average to at least a 4 or 5...and get all the childlike adults out of positions of responsibility and authority

sad how it takes such desolation and loss to shake us out of such a rut

• Upvote 1

I don't think they realize they are in a rut...

I agree. I haven't talked to anyone since MG's "departure," but what little I've listened to tells me they have no idea. I'm just not sure I want to go to all the trouble to point out additional flaws in their thinking. They thrive when they think they're in the throes of "persecution."

• Upvote 2

They thrive when they think they're in the throes of "persecution."

Ain't that the truth... Remembering back on my days in TWI, I think I felt the same..

Human nature I guess.. Pride.. Ego.. They are attacking our beliefs! How dare they! We're right, their wrong, defend - defend - defend.. Oh wait. The Word needs no defense, so umm.. Attack!

Anyways.. Yeah.. No sense in ruffling their pride, err I mean, feathers.

It is an immature kind of belief.. at least in my opinion. Seems most of us grew out of it.. maybe that's what's so bizarre. After all these years, they still have this level of immaturity..

kinda like an aged man going back to high school..

maybe not then, but today I'd be embarrassed.

• Upvote 1

OK knowing my reputation for cynicism let me preface this post with the promise that the question I ask and the reasoning I use to come up with the question are genuine and not meant to derail, demean or in any other way devalue this thread.

Question: Why would I care what Jesus' birthday was?

Unless I was a Pharisee of the times perhaps and watching over the young lad to make sure he got his Bar Mitzvah on time, or some such other calendar driven event, his birth would seem to be pale in the face of his sacrifice and resurrection.

The birth was simply an entrance into the world - an unpleasant place at best; little noticed by contemporaries at that; and not noticed by the local powers (Rome & Jerusalem).

The death and resurrection was the culmination of Jesus' public and indisputable victory over evil and the promise to all mankind of their ultimate victory as well. Now those dates - heck yeah - those are worth remembering regularly. Hey Martha!!! Tomorrow we can party and celebrate how Jesus kicked Satan's azz right into the 16th sub-basement of the heavenly outhouses. Make sure you pick up some tequila and limes on the way home from work! Ohhh - I'm a month early?!?! So what let's celebrate the victory anyway!

Further, if I am going to watch dates, verify actual dates through several calendar changes etc, I got bad news for those congregational types. I am really going to celebrate Jesus' victory with some margueritas and some grilled steaks. No need for putting on a suit and tie and sitting in an uncomfortable chair while someone intones the same snot as last year. Let's party over his victory. Steaks this year! Seafood next year. None of that repetitive congregational snot.

Edited by RumRunner
  • Upvote 3

Tzaia - don't you think that perhaps CES/STF are just avoiding making reference to a work that twi plagiarized and put out?

I keep saying that when you tout yourself as a "Biblical research ...." ministry, you set yourself up to always come up with some new thing. So... if they don't have anything new to say - well, then their lips are sealed.

• Upvote 1

RumRunner,

No one gave a whoop at the time. TWI's making such a big deal out of when he was born took all the fun out of Christmas. At least STF doesn't make a big deal out of that like TWI did. It doesn't matter whether he was born in a house, inn, stable, or barn. It doesn't matter whether Mary had the help of a midwife or whether she and Joseph ended up being the only ones there. None of that makes a bit of difference. It's just one more thing to feel like there's a "one up" on orthodoxy.

There is "a" version of the Bible that uses house instead of inn. One uses "lodging," while another uses "living-space." Most people don't read any of those versions. The point is that no one gave up their bed and Mary didn't get any special treatment just because she was having a baby.

Tzaia - don't you think that perhaps CES/STF are just avoiding making reference to a work that twi plagiarized and put out?

I keep saying that when you tout yourself as a "Biblical research ...." ministry, you set yourself up to always come up with some new thing. So... if they don't have anything new to say - well, then their lips are sealed.

I don't know. I just thought it was ironic how so much emphasis was put on a single word that doesn't make a bit of difference in the outcome.

• Upvote 2

I don't know. I just thought it was ironic how so much emphasis was put on a single word that doesn't make a bit of difference in the outcome.

Precisely. One word that doesn't make a difference. (OH but it must! Or else I can't send you to the bank! a la pfal...)

It's straining at gnat pellets. All in the name of biblical accuracy - when in fact it's all about the amount of abs they can pry from some unsuspecting person who just needs to know.

And now I realized that I no longer care about stf/ ces or any of their lot.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I believe they think its a banquet they're putting on over there.. but its like putting on a "feast" of small rodent type of meat.. you need far more than one small rodent to make a meal for even one.. need at least a dozen to make a pan full..

• Upvote 1

I believe they think its a banquet they're putting on over there.. but its like putting on a "feast" of small rodent type of meat.. you need far more than one small rodent to make a meal for even one.. need at least a dozen to make a pan full..

lol.... Good one..

Where's the beef?!

• Upvote 1

I do not, for one minute, doubt their sincerity. I listened to the mp3 a couple of times and it seemed like JWS really wanted to make the birth event "special" in yet another way, which is kinda ironic in that TWI spent so much time debunking the 3 kings (magi, wise men) tradition, and the whole Christmas tradition in general.

• Upvote 2

Precisely. One word that doesn't make a difference. (OH but it must! Or else I can't send you to the bank! a la pfal...)

It's straining at gnat pellets. All in the name of biblical accuracy - when in fact it's all about the amount of abs they can pry from some unsuspecting person who just needs to know.

And now I realized that I no longer care about stf/ ces or any of their lot.

Why. . . . it is almost as if they have a morbid interest in controversial questions and disputes about words. :) Could be. . . . concerning the idea of financial partnership. . . . . . . in their greed they could exploit one with false words. . . . just a thought.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with Rum. Let's just party over His victory. Of course, I could go for surf and turf every year. Porterhouse, ribeyes, NY strips, ribs, lobster, crab, oysters on the half shell, shwimps (not a typo)infinity choices every year.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Seems to be rehashed JC, Our Promised Seed which Schoenheit and John Crouch helped Walter Cummins in Research Department, with excerpts from the "collaterals"(Wierwille should have used the term "corallaries").