GreaseSpot Cafe

Would you cook an egg for your cat every morning?

Ham

17 members have voted

1. 1. Would you cook an egg for kitty?

• Without hesitation
    • I'd think about it
    • Only if the cats life depended on it
    • Only if MY life depended on it
    • Cook a cat an egg? You must be nuts..

One of the cats here, an irregularly marked tuxedo, gets one every morning. The egg must be over easy, and it consumes only the yolk. This cat was one of generations of ones fed on human food, I think.. it gets its "fix" with the egg, and generally leaves us alone the rest of the day..

:biglaugh:

You may vote more than one choice if you wish. As in, if you indeed would, and consider it a little crazy, you could vote 1 and 5.

Edited by Ham

I cook an egg for me every morning.

My cats have had eggs (raw, beaten), once - maybe twice. Cooked? You must be joking.

So, Ham, does that mean I eat cat food? :biglaugh:

• Upvote 1

ok so this is going to give it away that i'm single and have been for maybe too long but me and my cat have breakfast together most mornings and when we do she eats at the table with me sitting in her own chair on a couple of phone books with her plate right on the table and the food is whatever i'm eating so if it's eggs she gets eggs and if it's cereal she gets cereal but she doesn't eat toast or bagels but she does eat the the cream cheese and jelly or the cottage cheese and tomatoes if i put salt and pepper on them. she's my best friend and i love her too much maybe but she loves me too.

• Upvote 1

This cat absolutely LOVES me. The lady of the house tells me that egg yolk is like nectar to the cat..

The other two cats can be pretty indifferent, but the older female now eats a little egg.. almost cares less. But I have never had the amount of serious nuzzling, and affection from a cat as the one.. I wake up at night and the cat is "sponging" on whatever bare skin it might find.. It probably thinks I'm "mommy"..

Edited by Ham

The egg thing has been going on for weeks with the younger cat. But the last two mornings, the older female came up to partake of some.. and she seems far friendlier now. I wonder if that might fix a lot of your cat scaredy problems Twinky..

but with the younger cat, it absolutely HAS to be partially cooked. And she won't touch the white of the egg.

The recipe goes:

break open egg. cook over easy. remove egg from heat, pierce side, and drain liquid yolk onto platter. Present platter to cat.

If you don't want to waste the other half of the egg, return to pan, cook slightly more, and consume.

I usually do two eggs like this.. the one cats coat is now absolutely soft.. the older ones, while it wasn't bad to begin with, seems slightly softer after two days of this routine..

Edited by Ham

As some of you may or may not have noticed, I frequently post a "shout" describing what I am making for breakfast on Sunday mornings. I am an early riser and only cook breakfast on Sunday mornings, though sometimes I will also cook breakfast on a holiday. So, I get up at 5:30, start the coffee (I skip running "to the tree and back"---a bit of Fellow Laborer humor), grab the paper from the front stoop and, simultaneously, start on the crossword puzzle and breakfast. Through all the clatter of pots and pans, sizzling, chopping and stirring, the two cats remain completely oblivious to the commotion. Not a whimper, not so much as a twitch emerges from those seemingly immobile clumps of fur. Now, no matter what else I make, I will also make a couple strips of bacon and 2 scrambled eggs for my wife. Still, this activity goes completely unnoticed by the cats. But, as soon as my wife's feet hit the floor and head for the kitchen, the cats instantly come alive as the unrelenting begging and whining begin. I'm not really sure how much of the "bacon and eggs" my wife actually consumes. I only know there is none left as the whining subsides and the two cats curl up, once again, to a motionless morning slumber. ----Bon appetite!

Edited by waysider
  • Upvote 1

Ha ha, this thread belongs right next to "Cat Whispering"!

Maybe, Ham, I should try feeding Crypto egg yolks. Problem will be keeping Tuxedo away from them.

Waysider: ain't that just like cats. They know when to react, and when to carry on snoozing.

Brainfixed: you'd enjoy Cat Whispering (Open forum)

I haven't yet see Go-Cat in "Bacon and Egg" flavor (or even just Egg) but that might go down a treat. I did suggest to them that they made a flavor Robin and Starling, or Mouse and Shrew, but they didn't seem to think that was a good idea.

• Upvote 1

We're new around here to cat world, so we're figuring it all out; the kitten is 13 weeks old.

Cook an egg?

I guess I would, sure if she requested it from the menu

phot_Cat_golden_eats.84195440_std.jpg

"That'll be over easy. forget the white.."

I cook all of my cats food. and my Parrots. Its garbage what they put in manufactured pet food.

I cook all of my cats food. and my Parrots. Its garbage what they put in manufactured pet food.

If you poke around a little you'll find all kinds of animal food recipes that can be made at home in simple or bulk quantities. Turns out that it is not only better for the animals but it is no more expensive, and sometimes cheaper, than store bought so-called pet food. Of course you might want to check those recipes - no sense trying to turn your dog vegan like one site recommended.

Thanks for the info, Rum. I actually got my recipes from my own civilian veterinarian, and some tips form the vet here @ Ft Lee. Forcing your pets to be Vegan is animal cruelty. They are carnivores! Those people have a mental disorder

For years I made my cats' food at home. It was cheaper than the expensive dry food. I would make enough for a month, and freeze it in baggies that held enough for a day at a time.

I'll post the recipe if anyone wants it.

For years I made my cats' food at home. It was cheaper than the expensive dry food. I would make enough for a month, and freeze it in baggies that held enough for a day at a time.

I'll post the recipe if anyone wants it.

Cat food is easy to make. Feed cat 2 oz good scotch, add to crock pot with copious quantities of good chilies, cook for 8 hours on low - add BBQ sauce, cook on low for 1 more hour - voila - cat food.

• Upvote 1

Okay- even though no one asked...

The proportions are:

60% - meat and/or eggs

20% - veggies (I used zucchini and carrots finely shredded)

20% soaked oat bran

I think I used

2 pounds of ground turkey (Cooked slowly but completely)

1 dozen hard boiled eggs - finely chopped (Or enough eggs to make the protein portion equal 6 cups)

2 cups oat bran soaked in 4 cups water for at least 24 hours

4 cups shredded zucchini and carrots

I did all the shredding with my food processor. Mix it all in a big bowl.

Freeze in baggies - approx 1/2 cup to a baggie (or 1/4 cup per cat in each baggie)

Cats get 1/4 cup of food each day (about 2 TBSP per meal per cat)

I always started with two bags in the fridge and I took out one bage every day to start thawing in the fridge. If I needed to defrost some food, I put a bag in very warm water for an hour.

The above recipe lasted about 1 month and took about an hour to prepare. I would start the oat bran soaking a day ahead, then cook the meat and the eggs. While that was cooling, I would shred the veggies, and count out 31 baggies.

I did this for ten years. The cats were extremely healthy and never had weight problems.

On more than one occasion someone would ask to taste the cats food. The only complaint I ever heard was that it needed some salt. LOL

Edited by doojable

Maybe you should post your recipe on Cat Whispering, Dooj.

Recipe sounds nice but The Girlies may think otherwise. They have the view that if it is not Go-Cat or liver (Tuxedo) or ham (Crypto) it must be something that will poison them.

I cook for my dogs every day...

A whole chicken baked in the oven, shreaded, mixed with brown rice and cottage cheese will feed them for two days...cheaper than the canned entrails that they shovel off the floor at the rendering plant...not to mention the chemicals they mix in with it.