GreaseSpot Cafe

Uncle Harry

waysider

I think the logic was that VP was "our father in the Word". H.E. "Harry" Wierwille was his brother so therefore that made him our uncle. They were calling him that when I entered the scene in '74 so I don't know when it started.

By the way, does "Der Fuhrer" translate into English as "The Father?" I'm seeing some parallels here. I'm surprised we were never taught to "Goose Step" in the Corps. Maybe they were teaching that in "devotion with motion" and it just got by me.

He wasn't MY uncle!

When did people start calling him "Uncle Harry"?

----------AND-------------------------

When did it become acceptable for an "uncle" to greet his "nieces" with a French kiss or fondle their breasts?

At least by the 1974 or so......he was referred to as "Uncle Harry."

IMO....it was one of those "good ole days" endearing terms, when twi was little more than a farm, to add some wayspeak to the brc family clan. You gotta remember, vic was around 56 years old in 1972 and knew how to manipulate the fawning youth who came to Ohio for summer school or those early corps programs.

Aw, shucks......it's good to have my keeeds home again.

and remember.. you have an uncle in the furniture business.

Joshua Doore Furniture

In 1973, Harvey Leach opened the doors to Joshua Doore and, for years, drew in customers with the charming slogan “You’ve got an uncle in the furniture business.” A few years later, amid the company’s transformation into Uncle Robinson Furniture, Leach was found dead in the trunk of his car, allegedly as a result of financial challenges.

(from http://www.dbusiness.com/DBusiness/September-October-2009/Old-Line-Retailers/ )

maybe its just a coincidence.. uncle.. harry.. used furniture..

then harry didn't end up dead in the trunk of his car.. I suppose coincidences only go so far..

:biglaugh:

When I "got in the word" in 1972, people were already calling him "Uncle Harry".

I always felt kinda weird calling him that because he bore absolutely no resemblance to any of MY uncles.

I think it was all part of the "schtick", like the used car salesman who calls himself some name that plays on familiarity.

BR 549

When I "got in the word" in 1972, people were already calling him "Uncle Harry".

I always felt kinda weird calling him that because he bore absolutely no resemblance to any of MY uncles.

I think it was all part of the "schtick", like the used car salesman who calls himself some name that plays on familiarity.

Yes......the "uncle" term was one of those slick-vic tools of manipulation. You have to remember....many of the youth coming to hq around 1970-71 were hippie-types, rebellious towards family/establishment, some had deceased parents, or strained relationships, etc. etc.

Add slick to crazy.......remember "aunt naomi" -- the one we rarily saw except when paraded across main stage at big events, the wife of "uncle harry?"

Add crazy to insanity....post-1991, after the cgeer powergrab & fog-fiasco, lcm started referring to Howard Allen as UNCLE HOWARD.

Totally serious......I kid you not.

:doh:

uh...there was a time when HA was not "Uncle" Howard?

Now you come to mention it, I don't think I ever heard him referred to as just "Howard" - only "uncle Howard" or "Howard Allen".

I don't remember Don W ever being called "uncle Don" - just "Donnie."

I never even thought to question or even notice that before. But then, I've never thought of it for years. As a child, it was simply the polite way to address or to refer to adults of one's parents' generation as "uncle" or "aunt" even though they weren't relatives.

I am Chiming in with Twinky on this one we called familiar close family friends etc uncle SO and SO or Aunt SO and So even if they were not really an aunt or Uncle. It may have been one of those southern/Midwestern kind of things. I don't think people out west do it but iN Michigan when I was growing up you did and I know in Missouri they did too.. 60's/70's

uh...there was a time when HA was not "Uncle" Howard?

Now you come to mention it, I don't think I ever heard him referred to as just "Howard" - only "uncle Howard" or "Howard Allen".

Really?

I was on hq staff for 4 years......and never heard HA referred to as "uncle howard." It wasn't until after the cgeer power-grab (post 1991)....when twi was small again and no "uncle harry" around.....that this term surfaced.

I agree.

Please note it was in the book "the Way:Living in Love" (pg-77 to start with),

so it was in use around 1970.