GreaseSpot Cafe

The Flu

bowtwi

I'm curious as to how many of us have or have had the flu in our homes this fall. My daughter had it for about 11 days and needed antibiotics to get rid of the sinus infection that went with it. The doc even tested her for mono (which was negative).

I caught it and took 5 or 6 days to get through it using teas, vitamins, tons of sleep and sweat 24/7 for 4 days.

This was the "regular" flu, not the H1N1.

i have "something", I havent been to the doctor but all the classic flu symptoms. I just want to sleep all the time. Groggy, achy, fever, upset stomach, dont want to eat...Its been going on for about a week, Ive been home for the last few days riding it out

I know all the town schools are issuing warnings

Two brass players in my kid's band were tested with swine flu, then two of my brass players got it...then the woodwind...then me. They almost closed the school, with 4 more absences they wouldn't have been able to count it as a legal school day. This was during mid terms so everyone is trying to retake labs and tests etc.

I'm on day three, with bad asthma due to the lung congestion, but I went on antivirals to try and keep it from getting too bad. We're taking one kid in this afternoon for a strep throat test.

Our school was infested before any vaccines were available here.

So far so good in our house. We've had a day here and there of "uhoh, something" but we're so full of herbal stuff and vitamin stuff, maybe that's why it's been only brief and sporadic. At least I'm hopeful, some of this stuff I'm seeing it sounds like no matter what, when it get in, it's in.

Our school has been closed since tues and plans to re-open tues cuz of such high staff and student absences; hope closing is the answer.

A friend and her son has the H1N1 stuff and she said consider the stomach flu and bronchitis and upper resp. infection and being run over by a dump truck and I'd have some idea how they feel.

wacko.gif

Here are some ways to prevent it:

Wash your hands often. Use warm-hot water and soap. Wash carefully - recite the alphabet...that's long enough.

Resist every impulse to touch your face unless you're eating, or washing.

Gargle with warm salt water twice per day. Salt will destroy the virus.

Drink as much of any warm beverage as you can handle. Coffee or tea (including herb tea). Swallowing the beverage washes the virus particles into your stomach where normal digestive processes destroy it.

If you can internalize and master this schedule, it's likely you will prevent most communicable diseases from sticking to you.

Eat very well. Meat should be eaten in small portions. Most dietitians recommend a portion no larger than a deck of cards (3-D). Eat as much of the dark colored vegetables and fruits as you can, when possible, some of them raw. Fish is a wonderful food.

Regular vigorous exercise is also necessary.

Just as we are all different, we may need to adjust ourselves in other ways too. If you don't want the vaccine or can't get the vaccine this is your best bet to stay healthy.

Yes, I forgot to mention salt. I gargled with warm salt water twice a day and I rinsed out my sinuses once each day with salt water. I'm sure that's a big reason why mine was so short-lived. But I have to say, I thought I just might die when I was lying there covered in sweat for 4 days. Even stepping out of the shower, within a minute or two I was all covered again!

What a fabulous list, Krys! Thanks! That's such good advice!

at least two kids at my kid's daycare got H1N1. My son got sent home the other day for being sick. My wife had to take off work to watch him, but by happy coincidence the county was giving out free H1N1 vaccines to priority candidates that day. So I sleep a little better.

All sound advice from Krys. One more thing to add. Avoid (if possible) enclosed spaces with non-moving air such as elevators, buses, subways, etc. The H1N1/A virus is aerosol borne as well as contact borne. People are contagious for about 48-72 hours before the outbreak of their symptoms...hence a cough in an elevator becomes a very effective vector for the virus...while the original victim still has no idea they are infected.

BIG ONE HERE...my daughter is a molecular bio-engineer and gave me the rundown on why this one is so dangerous to those we usually think are safe - that is teens through twenty somethings... not the usual infants and older folk...DRINK LOTS OF WATER. It breaks up the critical reproductive cycles of the virus. In her words..."Dad drink enough water that you think your drowning yourself. Drink water until your urine is clear all day and night."

Here are some ways to prevent it:

Wash your hands often. Use warm-hot water and soap. Wash carefully - recite the alphabet...that's long enough.

Resist every impulse to touch your face unless you're eating, or washing.

Gargle with warm salt water twice per day. Salt will destroy the virus.

Drink as much of any warm beverage as you can handle. Coffee or tea (including herb tea). Swallowing the beverage washes the virus particles into your stomach where normal digestive processes destroy it.

If you can internalize and master this schedule, it's likely you will prevent most communicable diseases from sticking to you.

Eat very well. Meat should be eaten in small portions. Most dietitians recommend a portion no larger than a deck of cards (3-D). Eat as much of the dark colored vegetables and fruits as you can, when possible, some of them raw. Fish is a wonderful food.

Regular vigorous exercise is also necessary.

Just as we are all different, we may need to adjust ourselves in other ways too. If you don't want the vaccine or can't get the vaccine this is your best bet to stay healthy.

I'm glad you added the water, RumRunner. I forgot it.

While it is very good to be careful, limiting time in very crowded places, wiping down such things as telephones, keyboards and doorhandles frequently.......there is no reason to panic.

There is a balance between prudence and panic. Stick to the prudence side of the aisle.

It's hit our little town pretty hard and our family.

On Wednesday, only 5 out of the 18 students in Kris' third grade class showed up for school.

On Thursday, Andreas started with the symptoms - fever, vomiting, etc. He's made three loads of laundry before 7 a.m. that morning. He keeps spiking a fever, getting sick, then we dose him with Tylenol and he fine for a long time but the cycle starts again. Lather, rinse, repeat. He went trick-or-treating tonight but didn't have a lot of stamina. Both boys have cold-like symptoms and both have little energy...

I sure am feeling for you folks with sick children. As parents it is emotionally draining when our babies are so sick, especially when they run high fevers. With those high fevers they are so not themselves...lying around motionless when they are usually rip, raring and tearing. So scary when they are like that you don't leave their side.

All ya'll and yours get very well soon...

I'm wondering why the school isn't calling a "snow day" in light of the absences already this week.... 5 out of 18 students were in Kris' class yesterday - that means that 13 were out (presumably sick). Kris is doing okay but not a lot of stamina. He ran out of gas at about 7pm last night and put himself to bed a little early. I can't see a lot being accomplished academically speaking, as far as the school is concerned... they should just call a day on Thursday and Friday, disinfect everything in sight, and let this cycle break.

Andreas' teacher told me that kids get this flu, sorta recover, come back to school, and then the symptoms come back. He'd been symptom-free (no fever or vomiting) for 48-hours, so I thought we were good. Nope. He's slept well over 14 hours in the past 24-hours, with naps in between. He's running a very low fever and is very stuffy. He has no energy and no real appetite, other than for crackers and juice... He's ok... but that's it. As you may or may not know, he's developmentally delayed so getting him to tell me if his head, throat, or tummy hurt isn't an option - he hasn't got the skills for that yet.

How are you guys all doing?

Are you feeling any better yet?

Im doing better, last week was a bear but Im feeling OK now. Almost normal!

Its cycling around my town now, from what I hear many people get the symptoms then it appears to go away and dissipates then it comes back around for another wave of strong symptoms a week or so later...

Hopefully I'll skip the second round

We've seen the 'it comes back' thing, too. One of my kids went back to school Friday after missing 4 days, then came up the stairs Saturday with a temp of 102, full blown symptoms once again.

In our school district if they miss more than 3 consecutive days they need a doctor's note. Sheesh. So we have to drag her to the doctor to get a note to say she had the flu(they won't test now) when everyone knows the swine flu lasts longer than 3 days--and they don't want them back still sick. I think I'll call the school and complain, there should be an exception for this flu. ALbuterol makes me cranky.

I'm still home though my fever was just over a 100. But I have asthma that is really kicking up and there is alot of chest congestion with this. ALOT :unsure: I haven't had the flu in years, the last time I ended up in the hospital with pneumonia, so I don't plan to go back to work until I'm really over it.

Hubby has it now.

Kids are so busy--debate season has started, drama kid has play practice every night this and next week, plus weekend performances. Hoping we are all done with this by Thanksgiving.

My daughter had no hint of any relapse at all. She had been playing volleyball on her school team, but the season ended while she was home sick. She missed the first week of basketball practice and between that and just being weakened by the flu, I pulled her out of basketball after a week of attending practice. She was miserable and just not catching up.

I went to bed several times last week between 8 and 10 pm which is unheard of for me, but I was just that beat. I usually get up pretty early, but this past week no earlier than I absolutely had to. Sunday I took a 2-hour nap and could have just gone back to sleep at that point. I'm not bouncing back as well as I usually do when I get sick, which isn't very often.

I took my daughter to the doctor and bought the antibiotics for her. I used home remedies for me.

I still say the salt water was the single best thing I did for myself.

My appetite is just now coming back.

My fever went away and I went back to work but shucky durn, things took a turn(I have severe asthma) and I need to go in for a chest xray for possible pneumonia.

I usually do get the flu shot for this reason, but the swine flu vaccine was hard to get here.

My fever went away and I went back to work but shucky durn, things took a turn(I have severe asthma) and I need to go in for a chest xray for possible pneumonia.

I usually do get the flu shot for this reason, but the swine flu vaccine was hard to get here.

For some reason the swine flu vaccine has been especially difficult to acquire. Some part of the reason may be that this is the first time it has been prepared, but I can't understand why it is so hard to get in most places. It could be that you didn't have the H1N1 aka swine flu, but just the regular seasonal flu.

Here's another preventative measure to consider: vitamin D supplements. Unless you live in a really sunny climate, you're probably vitamin D deficient, at least in the winter months, and one of the things vitamin D does is boost your immune system. I've noticed a big difference in the severity and duration of cold/flu bugs since I started taking it (my level was extremely low when I was tested). My doctor says it's the only vitamin he takes.

At work I just got a press release from a doctor confirming the importance of adequate vitamine D. He said that the normal recommended dosage isn't enough. You might want to ask your doctor about this if you tend to be vulnerable to colds and flu.

Yepper! Mine has me on a supplement since I should not spend too much time in the sun. He stated that current literature points to benefits for men and women in almost every category of health. Google it yourself if you need convincing!