GreaseSpot Cafe

The M@gic of Believing

waysider

from the quoted article:

Crowley believed that in order to discover the True Will, one had to free the desires of the subconscious mind from the control of the conscious mind, especially the restrictions placed on sexual expression, which he associated with the power of divine creation.

compare the vicster's theology.. and recommendation to loy to "loosen up in that area.." to become a great *minister* or something..

• Upvote 1

Yep.. sure is isn't it..

and it seems Crowley employed the same bait and switch routine, with regards to his version of da magick of believing (will)..

Do what thou Wilt shall be the whole of the Law for Crowley refers not to hedonism, fulfilling everyday desires, but to acting in response to that calling. The Thelemite is a mystic

seems the inner few really got what they "wanted".. all kinds of sex, etc. etc.. and it was supposed to be "lockbox" material..

to the rest, it was "spiritual" abundance that was "available"..

even on the level of an organization, the similarities are striking..

those in a Thelemic magical Order, such as Ordo Templi Orientis or A∴A∴, work through a series of degrees or grades via a process of initiation. Thelemites who work on their own or in an independent group try to achieve this ascent or the purpose thereof using the Holy Books of Thelema and/or Crowley's more secular works as a guide, along with their own intuition. Books and papers detailing the rituals of Ordo Templi Orientis of the past do appear or come up for sale second-hand, but the modern organisation seeks to prevent them being sold, using the successful legal argument that such works violate their copyright.[67] The papers they seek to protect include those containing instructions detailing the sexual rituals of the later degrees.[68]

this shows it was supposed to be kept in a "lockbox"..

using sex for magickal purposes..

isn't it the same thing? Loosen up so you can be da manogawd you really want to be?

You know, the "secret initiation into the inner sanctum" that took place at the Advanced Class (72-73) may have been meant as a joke, I don't know. We took a "sacred vow" to never tell anyone about it. :rolleyes: Certainly, I don't think that anyone present took it to be completely serious. But the thing is, in later years, when people would talk about some sort of "inner circle" and a "lockbox", it was easy to dismiss it as a misunderstanding of that incident.

I happened to be up scanning the channels at 230 this morning and stopped at BookTV and listened to an interview with author Barbara Ehrenreich who has written a book entitled

BRIGHT-SIDED: HOW THE RELENTLESS PROMOTION OF POSITIVE THINKING HAS UNDERMINED AMERICA.

Although we have covered this subject many many times at GSpot, she was able to trace the development of 'positive thinking' over the last century and verbalize nearly all of the negative aspects of "positive thinking" in her 35 minute interview.

IMO, if you are interested in this subject its worth watching when you have the time.

. . .

I like how she mentioned this positive thinking is "pumping yourself up". The perceived benefits are short-term, hence one needs to go back to fellowship five minutes after leaving the last one.

The question that looms is did VeePee know what he was teaching traced it's roots back to the occult?

Of course he did.

He had books in his personal library that would attest to that.

edit: OOPS! I almost forgot. According to his testimony in PFAL, he hauled them all to the city dump and studied nothing but the Bible. <_<

Edited by waysider

Of course he did.

He had books in his personal library that would attest to that.

That's my take on that too and many of those books were passed on to the infamous "junk tables" to be displayed at the advanced class. Complete with stern warnings to NEVER go read that stuff because it was so dangerous. Sound like perhaps someone, somewhere was afraid of being seen naked?

IMO, if you are interested in this subject its worth watching when you have the time.

you can link to the Video HERE

and here is aNY Times Article

THANKS!!!!

I just got to the part where she mentions the author of The Secret blamed the tsunami victims for attracting the tsunami! Sound familiar, fellow ex-wayfers?

The question that looms is did VeePee know what he was teaching traced it's roots back to the occult?

maybe he thought his was a kinder, gentler version..

from what I've read.. he wasn't QUITE as depraved as Crowley..

but his "ministry(?)* was based in rural Ohio..

some of the more bizarre blood and sex rituals might not sit very well with the locals..

:biglaugh:

author Barbara Ehrenreich who has written a book entitled BRIGHT-SIDED: HOW THE RELENTLESS PROMOTION OF POSITIVE THINKING HAS UNDERMINED AMERICA.

This author is clearly born of the seed of the serpent! :biglaugh:

Doesn't it make you wonder exactly what percentage of this stuff "hadn't been taught since the first century"?

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to learn that the "Law of Believing" in a not too dissimilar format was taught n the first century...and in the century before that...and in the century before that...

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to learn that the "Law of Believing" in a not too dissimilar format was taught n the first century...and in the century before that...and in the century before that...

Personally, I agree. Modern occult teachings are an amalgamation of ancient practices altered somewhat by varying cultures but have many similar underlying principles. That's what I concluded from reading a lot. Doesn't mean I am right, or perhaps I am oversimplifying things a bit. It's been 20 years or more since I studied any of that stuff. I do remember enough to talk a little though.

Wow! Thanks to whomever posted that Crawley stuff, not that I enjoyed reading it but it was a real eye opener for me.

It seems rather sickening to me that Crawley takes sexuality, which was designed to be shared in a loving relationship and turns it into something that serves a man in creativity. The partner is immaterial to one's supposed insight. How selfish. How insulting to humanity.

This explains a lot.