GreaseSpot Cafe

Accountability

After attending an annual meeting at my church last night, I started thinking about STF's model of financial accountability and if it really works for the membership. Right now, STF only provides a sort of annual "report" to current "partners" or regular contributors. So while I was a regular contributor through 2004, I never received any financial information regarding the 2004 budget or actual because I had stopped contributing at the end of 2004. Not only that, but there is no published current information that would allow me to make an informed choice even if I wanted to give.

There are no readily available answers to questions such as: How many board members draw a salary from STF? How is salary determined? Do the contributors have an opportunity to input on that decision? Could it be a conflict of interest for a board member to set his/her own salary and then vote it into being? Who is in place to oversee this process? What is the annual revenue? How is the money spent? What percentage goes for administrative expenses? How many are on staff and how are they compensated?

It is my opinion that STF leadership operates from the premise that leaders have somehow received a certain spiritual authority and are therefore above being reproached by spiritual inferiors (or each other, for that matter). Who decides who is a leader? They do. They set themselves up as the head, and in turn, determine who else is appointed. I think that works if what you are looking for is camaraderie, but does this process provide the accountability that is necessary in a religious organization, particularly one that is a result of fracture from a group that is well known for its abuses? I don't think so. Every person who has questioned them has been eliminated from the organization - including leaders - and not without a fair amount of public smearing of reputations in the process.

I just don't think the organization has provided enough evidence that they are transparent on any level, much less on a financial level.

The financial accountability with STFI is very weak. All they have done fpr years is talk about financial accountability.

Tzaia said " It is my opinion that STF leadership operates from the premise that leaders have somehow received a certain spiritual authority and are therefore above being reproached by spiritual inferiors." This is true and one example is the way they treat anyone who disagrees with them. The organizational structure is not of biblical design. It is more of a dictatorship and resembles the Way International in many ways.

Edited by Factfinder

The financial accountability with STFI is very weak. All they have done for years is talk about financial accountability.

Tzaia said " It is my opinion that STF leadership operates from the premise that leaders have somehow received a certain spiritual authority and are therefore above being reproached by spiritual inferiors." This is true and one example is the way they treat anyone who disagrees with them. The organizational structure is not of biblical design. It is more of a dictatorship and resembles the Way International in many ways.

Back in 1986, when the s*it started hitting the fan in a big way, I still was interested in studying the bible. I also, in May of that year, earned my bachelor's degree in accounting.

I started seeing, very clearly, in the Acts of the Apostles and in Paul's letters to the Corinthians, that accountability -- as it was written -- was to be by those ministering, TO those who paid their subsistence. The "need basis" was how Paul lived... not what he demanded of those he employed.

Indeed, this observation by Tzaia and by Factfinder is very astute, IMO and very much on the mark.

This is also, after the PooP paper and after JAL, Ralph D, et. al. started stirring things up even more, why I (from that time forward) was never tempted to go back to TWI...

This whole concept can be traced back to "the good old days" of The Way. How many times did you hear that it's not your place as a giver to question how the money was being spent? In fact, it was seen as a sort of weak point in your "believing" to "question" (read:"doubt") financial matters. Our responsibility, as they taught, was to simply give and then "believe" for the money to be spent wisely. It was the leadership's responsibility (to God, not to us) to be good stewards of the funds. A variation of this is even included in the Way Corps Principles. (Believe for the prosperity of the ministry) So, I think this sort of mindset is culturally ingrained in Way and Way-derivative followers, so much so, that it seems like business as usual to carry on in this fashion.

Waysider - exactly!

When I started healing from TWI abuse and started to attend a mainstream church - had been there about 3 or 4 times and then it was their annual "reporting" Sunday. "Here's our income, here's where it came from. Here's how we spent it. These are the things we need to spend on next year; this is a longer term project. What we'd like from you is... These are just abridged accounts; you can get a fuller version, and ask any questions, of XXX [who stood up in the congregation, so's he could be identified]."

And what they ask for first, is not your hand in your pocket, but how you could be more involved: the different ministries/areas of service. Last of all your money.

Every year has been the same.

This church never asks for money except at the annual laying out of accounts. Never passes the collection plate. Gives away lots of money, or "things" like meals to those in need. Looks after elderly, youth, families, a particularly poor area of the city. Has fostered one church plant, is fostering another, and is rebuilding a church that was arsoned. Refurbished the church rooms where children's ministry takes place.

Jawdropping, after the non-accountability of TWI.

If TWI, STFI, whoever, is so open about needs, why don't they show and tell? It's okay (prudent) to make a few strategic reserves. But when they compel everyone else to "travel light" - hey, set the example, huh? Where does the money go, and what are the real "needs" of those (cough) "ministers"? What else do they have the use of? (Log cabins and all)

I think the lack of accountability goes hand in hand with lack of affiliation. They are affiliated basically with their own pudgy selves..

yeah, they call the little twigs that send them money and such as partners..

wasn't that what absolutely drove the victoid up the wall, affiliation? Church leaders who actually would demand him to tow the line?

Might not be true for all of them.. but these non-denominational outfits.. no affiliation, no or little accountability..