GreaseSpot Cafe

Traveling Light...my rosy red...

What About It

Hi again... It's moving time for my family, and in all the packing I'm going through some things that I haven't looked at for a couple years. Had great pleasure in tossing all our certificates last week: way disciple, pfal this, way of a&p that, associate of private interpretology, blah, blah, blah. Two big-arse boxes of Bible study materials--found a person on paperbackswap who donates bible study materials to people who want them. Then in the office I got to a task that I've been dreading for about 2 years and it only took me 15 minutes to do. Most of the stuff didn't require much of a decision: Calligraphy pens and ink, toss. Mint dishes, toss. Supplies for tacky homemade cards, toss. Protractor, toss (don't even know why I had that). Collection of unused fancy pens and bookmarks that complemented the studious Bible bookworm image, toss.

Hmmm...now that I'm not in a cult that preached traveling light, it seems that I can really do it.

Hi again... It's moving time for my family, and in all the packing I'm going through some things that I haven't looked at for a couple years. Had great pleasure in tossing all our certificates last week: way disciple, pfal this, way of a&p that, associate of private interpretology, blah, blah, blah. Two big-arse boxes of Bible study materials--found a person on paperbackswap who donates bible study materials to people who want them. Then in the office I got to a task that I've been dreading for about 2 years and it only took me 15 minutes to do. Most of the stuff didn't require much of a decision: Calligraphy pens and ink, toss. Mint dishes, toss. Supplies for tacky homemade cards, toss. Protractor, toss (don't even know why I had that). Collection of unused fancy pens and bookmarks that complemented the studious Bible bookworm image, toss.

Hmmm...now that I'm not in a cult that preached traveling light, it seems that I can really do it.

If you're gonna travel Fast & Far, you have to travel light....!

Funny that, and that it entails bogging yourself down with "mint dishes" and such, ----- and that leaving the Way left you with,... certain items - must haves,.. that were, rather useless in real-life.

Hindsight is 20/20 !!!

Mint dish??

Have fun de-cluttering, WAI. Always an intriguing thing to do...amazing how much junk one accumulates.

Good luck (?) with the move, too.

If you're gonna travel Fast & Far, you have to travel light....!

Funny that, and that it entails bogging yourself down with "mint dishes" and such, ----- and that leaving the Way left you with,... certain items - must haves,.. that were, rather useless in real-life.

Hindsight is 20/20 !!!

GEN-2!!!!! WELCOME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rosy red - and I thought you were talking about Rosalie. :biglaugh:

what were the pens, mint dishes and other stuff for?

what were the pens, mint dishes and other stuff for?

Wierwille insisted on having mints on hand, when he stood at the podium, to disguise the ever present stench of alcohol on his breath. And, the roll had to be pre-opened so he wouldn't have to be seen fumbling with it. People began imitating Wierwilles mannerisms and quirks, right down to the need for a dish with a broken mint pack on their podiums whenever someone taught. But, remember, there were no rituals in The Way. :rolleyes:

Wierwille insisted on having mints on hand, when he stood at the podium, to disguise the ever present stench of alcohol on his breath. And, the roll had to be pre-opened so he wouldn't have to be seen fumbling with it. People began imitating Wierwilles mannerisms and quirks, right down to the need for a dish with a broken mint pack on their podiums whenever someone taught. But, remember, there were no rituals in The Way. :rolleyes:

The REALLY funny part was when people started copying him with no idea what they were doing and WHY.

So we had people putting out BROKEN mints on hand at their podiums.

Because they had been putting BROKEN mints on hand at HIS podium.

Which he eventually COMPLAINED about, since he could never find an INTACT mint (anymore).

So, they said he said he broke the mints- at which point he clarified

"I meant I break them in my mouth!"

So, he broke open the intact mints in his mouth, so the center with the most powerful mint

was exposed directly to his mouth, hiding the alcohol reek more quickly.

Of course, he NEVER explained that he was hiding Drambuie smell, or that his "coffee" cup

(like one obscure MASH character) was either alcohol or mixed with alcohol,

but so many people knew SPECIFICALLY that he drank Drambuie all the time,

and he even had locals go out and buy him a full bottle of it sometimes when he traveled.

(Naturally, he expected them to pay for it. He expected not only to be able to dip his

hand in the twi till, but for twi'ers to always pay his way everywhere at all times-

as if they hadn't already paid by filling the twi till.)

The more one learns about him, the more disgusting he sounds.

The more one learns about him, the more thorough he sounds.

(Couldn't just be A LITTLE disgusting- he covered his bases.)

At one time (early 1970s) there was a seminar/class for people involved with conducting large meetings where guest speakers would be featured. If it had an official name, I don't remember it. There was a several page printed hand out that accompanied it. In that handout was a list of items that were considered to be staple supplies for any large meeting. The list, of course, included a pre-opened package of mints for the podium. So there you have it. It was actually prescribed and sanctioned by Int. HQ.