GreaseSpot Cafe

Maslow's hierarchy of needs and way leaders

Ham

That's true. I used to marvel at some of the people that would be put in leadership. Many, and I mean many, had a distaste for such things as ethics and even having an education. There were a few times people were mocked for possessing such attributes. The narrow-mindedness of some was astounding.

Too right! I do think there were some that were motivated more by jealousy. "...you have an education, I didn't 'get the opportunity,' I'll bully you for having had the opportunity."

Heh heh, perhaps they hadn't the "stayed mind" enough to take the opportunity to get an education when they were offered it.

Education was definitely mocked. If one has learned to think and evaluate...what I got, constantly, was: "You are leaning to your own understanding. You are not trusting God. You are too carnally-minded." And then the clincher: "You are not meek to the Word" (because you do not obey me/dare to question me, your leader.)

Interesting now that some of those people have to get on in the world (not being with TWI any more) that they have - gone and got an education. Trained for something and got some qualifications. I wonder if, now that they have their secular qualifications, they mock those who do not have any qualifications - the junior staff in whatever organizations they work in, for example.

Education was definitely mocked. If one has learned to think and evaluate...what I got, constantly, was: "You are leaning to your own understanding. You are not trusting God. You are too carnally-minded." And then the clincher: "You are not meek to the Word" (because you do not obey me/dare to question me, your leader.)

And if you didn't have eduction and still had your own mind, the excuse was "Ego. God doesn't like ego."

SoCrates

IMO on Maslow's pyramid there, TWI usurps the top 3 tiers - Self Actualization, Esteem, and Love/Belonging.

Love/Belonging - The sense of love/belonging is completely tied to the group over time, and steps are ensured that compliance with TWI is tied to all friendships, "family" is replaced by the spiritual "household", and love/intimacy is within the group. TWI "ministers" even work to split up marriages where one of the couple is "less committed" to the group.

Esteem - Any of this is completely dicatated by the leader's treatment of people - if you are in absolute compliance, you are in good graces. If you question anything, think on your own and express it, and definitely if you contradict any leader, they attack your esteem, and use bullying tactics to affect the respect you have from others, even to the extent of isolating you from the group.

Self-Actualization - this is completely replaced with "Group-Actualization". Morality is subservient to the group. There is no self-actualization, only group-think.

Maslow's pyramid is a great representation of the type of damage that can happen psychologically to people when subjecting themselves to a dangerous all-encompassing cult like TWI. A healthy person functions on all layers of the pyramid. A cult member has the group take over control basically of the top three, and spends most of their existence in the "Safety" layer which is completely dependant on TWI leadership.

The great thing about it is that you don't have to be subject to that kind of control. At any given time, you can step back and say "No more", take back over the control of the higher functioning levels of life you have given up, and move forward productively.

J. R#pp once talked about Maslow's Hierarchy of needs in a STS. Well, he named the "levels". That's it. Don't remember if he had a point.

But a wayfer leader did mention it . . . so any wayfers reading this thread can disregard any points made here . . . back to da verd . . .

. . . and look! . . . a cat pushing a watermelon out of a lake . . .