GreaseSpot Cafe

Daily Devotionals

Twinky

Was it in PFAL that it was stated that those scripture booklets that people read on a daily basis, section of scripture followed by someone’s exposition of that section – usually one person does a week or so in a series, then maybe someone else does another week – anyway, was it PFAL that put those down? Said people read them but “they’ll never meet your need. They’ll always let you down right when you need them” [=need the Word of God to be reach into some situation you’re suffering].

The real reason wasn’t that the daily devotionals would “let you down” – it was that readers might get a different perspective. Might have something that competed with the Word of God as taught by TWI. Might present a wider view, a different meaning – or (gasp!) something that contradicted what TWI said. Might allow some wiggle room, or even the strength to escape the clutches of TWI.

And who is to say that “today’s” teaching from TWI is just what every single follower of the Way needs to hear today? Life’s situations are so very varied. It’s not “one size fits all, all day, every day” – God cares for us moment by moment and knows we’re not clones, machines or cardboard cut-outs.

I don’t think that anything that induces genuine study of the Bible, thoughtful exposition of it, and an opportunity to investigate parts that wouldn’t otherwise come to one’s attention, can be bad, or “let one down.” Such study gives more to draw upon in times of adversity. And in times of joy.

A daily devotional might not meet the need in full. But then again, it might. And at least it’s not force-fed and required to be regurgitated throughout the day, week or whatever. A daily devotional may indeed allow far more scope for God to work in one’s life by bringing other passages to mind (and heart) that are just what’s right to meet the need.

And what of that broken reed, TWI, and its teachings? Boy, did they ever let one down! TWI used the scriptures as a weapon. A weapon of control. A weapon to keep followers down, in subjection, in condemnation. Dual meanings – head knowledge but no heart knowledge. Just manipulation.

Give me the freedom to choose what to read each day! Give me the freedom to decide what “works” for me! Give God the opportunity to show new insights, understandings. Accept that God can work through humble writers of daily devotionals to keep His Word fresh and appropriate. Yay!

And who is to say that “today’s” teaching from TWI is just what every single follower of the Way needs to hear today? Life’s situations are so very varied. It’s not “one size fits all, all day, every day” – God cares for us moment by moment and knows we’re not clones, machines or cardboard cut-outs.

Maybe if what every single follower of the Way needs is sleep.

When Ambien can't sleep, it listens to the Sunday Teaching Service @ the Way.

Now there's a possibility, Chocky.

Has anyone found daily devotional readings helpful? Met their needs? Or failed to meet their needs? Does anyone follow such readings as a regular or semi-regular thing?

"The real reason wasn’t that the daily devotionals would “let you down” – it was that readers might get a different perspective. Might have something that competed with the Word of God as taught by TWI. Might present a wider view, a different meaning – or (gasp!) something that contradicted what TWI said. Might allow some wiggle room, or even the strength to escape the clutches of TWI."

The perception of having "elite knowledge" is a common trait found in most cults. The Way was no exception.

Edited by waysider

I've used them once in a while. I liked the fact that it focused my mind on something godly in the morning. It was short and sweet, but I would reflect back on it sometimes during the day. I think the reason, or one of them, that they hated them was that they distracted you from the real thing (ha ha ha) they were pushing that month, like the blue book, or the SNS or whatever. They were the only ones allowed to control your thoughts doncha know.

I love the daily devotionals, especially the ones that I can use year after year (e.g,. spiral bound, not tear off calendar) because each time they come up, I am (1) reminded of the verse and address and (2) each time it comes up I have grown a little bit since the last time, and signs of deepening my walk with the Lord is always gratifying. Don't think there is a limit to the reminders in my room, in the kitchen, at the phone, in my office/work space, because I always need to be reminded to make my minutes count. One of my favorites is a set of 54 cards, one scripture for each week, from Dalcon Marketing, which has the basics we learned in PFAL: for example, this week, November 18-24, is "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life; and they are they which testify of me." John 5:39. What this verse means to me today: I have been focusing on looking for the face of Jesus Christ in the scriptures. And now that I am deaf, I cannot listen to the teachings and music which used to keep me going. But I can still read. and I am so thankful that I know to read the Bible.

quote:

Has anyone found daily devotional readings helpful? Met their needs? Or failed to meet their needs? Does anyone follow such readings as a regular or semi-regular thing?

Having spent the past 37 plus years as one who is "in the word" I answer a resounding yes, but I'd like to qualify that.

In 1978 VP said at a weekend in the word that ( he felt) the best way to build a scope of understanding spiritually was to just read the bible; no word studies, no collaterals, just read the KJV bible a LOT! He wasn't forbidding those other things, just a general 'light dispels darkness' kind of admonition.

When I first started going to fellowship and taking pfal I felt so fragile and vulnerable inside that I felt compelled to spend as much time reading the word and going to fellowship as possible. Then, beginning with my wow year, I spent 8 years prioritizing the things of God and the ministry. Jobs and relationships were secondary. Nobody told me to do this; that's just how it played out. During this time I averaged 1 1/2 hours per day studying the word (including collaterals, word studies, etc.).

Then I moved back to MI and became more committed to my jobs. Got married in 3 years, kids came soon after. During this time I still studied the word, but not near as much. Today I don't even read the word every day. I go to fellowship once per week and I think about God a lot and pray, but not on any schedule. I COULD find the time for that if I really wanted to, but lots of times I'd rather be on the computer or watching TV or playing guitar than reading the word. My life, my body.

But during those early years studying the word was a vital part of keeping me "on course". That was how it felt. Anything I was studying was a daily devotional. Studying someone else's work was OK. I read VPs collaterals several times each. On my advanced class exam I got 98 out of 100 correct on the pfal book and 116 out of 120 on rhst. It amazes me how much reading one can do over time even in 15 minutes per day.

As for meeting needs, no, daily reading of scripture didn't make me sexier or guarantee that I wouldn't get a ticket, or anything like that, but I'd do it all again.

I think it's a common, but harmful, thing for people to get PROVINCIAL in their

thinking and exposure to ideas. They save a lot of time by not considering the

opposing points of view, but they limit their abilities to think and reason by

limiting their exposure to ideas and knowledge. There is a lot of things

that are known many places now that I am unaware of. Every day, new things

are learned or discussed. I feel my life is richer for being at least passingly-familiar

with many of them, and aware of what I'm not exploring further.

Sadly, this is common enough across all parts of all societies. I've seen people

use the excuse of religion to do it, and I've seen people antagonistic of religion

condemn the religious for doing it- and do it even worse than the people they

complain about.

Limiting one's exposure to other Christians limits one's exposure to the lessons

other Christians have learned, which limits the ways God can reach you with what

you need to know. My approach to Christianity has been "eclecticism" for a very

long time, and I find it's a good approach to much of life.

So WW, have you used Daily Devotionals whether in booklet form or over the internet, on a regular basis? And if so, have they met your spiritual needs, either at the time of reading or at some later date when such a daily reading has come to mind?