GreaseSpot Cafe

ethical question

excathedra

Well. I am an Internal Auditor. When I lived in my first Way Home, some of us were taking stuff from the same company we all worked at (big business across the street). I would take the stuff back. I am also one who picks up trash on the street. So. That having been said: My opinion is that every fraud hurts everyone, including the fraudster. It's my opinion that you are helping everyone, including the fraudster who is your best friend, to keep things on the up and up.

Blue Bloods, a tv show I watch, last night deal with this same issue: Danny wanted to fudge a little, and during the family sunday evening dinner, the majority response was that there was no excuse for compromising one's ethics. And Danny "did the right thing," and it was all for the good.

It is my opinion that to hold one's voice when one has the opportunity to be heard on the side of doing the right thing, to not speak is to hurt one's own soul.

if you knew without a doubt your company was being ripped off by employees, would you tell the owner of this small business?

i have no pony in this race. i just happen to work there. i see things and employees tell me things....

In a perfect world, the answer would be quite simple. We don't live in a perfect world. Capish?

Not saying anything is going along with it and not far from stealing stuff yourself.

if people are stealing from the workplace, the costs have to be covered somehow =>higher costs to oncharge to customers.

Or loss of profits, which ultimately means there is likely to be job cuts - which might include your own job.

The straightforward answer is, tell. But, if I knew someone was taking home the occasional pen, I doubt I'd bring it up. (I might mention it to the person involved.) If someone is walking off with fifty dollars from the register, or spending all day on personal calls, I'd consider that more egregious. How, exactly, are the employees ripping off the company?

George

And, if it's the company you work for, you DO have a pony in the race.

if you knew without a doubt your company was being ripped off by employees, would you tell the owner of this small business?

i have no pony in this race. i just happen to work there. i see things and employees tell me things....

Absolutely, it's the ethical thing to do.

I hate to bring up VP, but he wrote in "Lifestyle of a believer" that there are times when 2 clear and plain duties conflict and you have to decide which one to perform and which one to neglect. Never mind how HE might have applied that logic. You have a duty to follow company rules. You have a duty to protect yourself. If following this company rule would put you in any potential danger, you definitely have something to consider. Just the fact that this bothers you enough that you posted this is telling. Would you like us to pray about this for you?

Edited by johniam