GreaseSpot Cafe

SIT, Interpretation, Prophecy and Confession, REBOOT

Raf

What can it "enhance," considering that it's not understandable? (This actually relates to a question just posted in the doctrinal thread.)

Why suppose that it's either mental or physical? (Beside, I don't recall it was taught that way at TWI.)

There were long lists of things TWI claimed SIT could do. I don't know why they supposed them. Some of them were in writing. I've since tossed them out.

SIT more to improve your grades in school. Skip coffee, SIT, you will be more alert. Are specific examples.

There were long lists of things TWI claimed SIT could do. I don't know why they supposed them. Some of them were in writing. I've since tossed them out.

SIT more to improve your grades in school. Skip coffee, SIT, you will be more alert. Are specific examples.

Ironically I used to have a pair of coffee mugs with the "Benefits of Speaking in Tongues" listed on them.

I never used them for coffee, because, you know... Lo Shanda Malaka Seeta

The green card had the list. Supposedly, the list was compiled in response

to grads who claimed those benefits. In reality, they seem right out of

the last 4 sessions. For example, "rest to the soul." vpw claimed that,

if you missed a few hours of sleep, you could SIT and then you wouldn't need

the sleep anymore. He also touted it as a cure for insomnia- SIT and you

can drift off to sleep.

What I know:

1. As a little kid of say 7-9 years old, I'd often spend time "talking in foreign languages" - now whether this was gibberish or SIT I couldn't say. I'd been to Sunday school and loved Jesus in my kiddie way. I'd never heard of SIT as far as I'm aware. As I got older, I made up tunes for the made-up words but didn't spend a lot of time doing either.

2. When I was invited to twig and people SIT/TIP, I actually didn't pay much attention as a "gift from God" or whatever; more, it was, Oh, so other people do this too.

3. Way after TWI, at the church I used to go to and the one I now attend (a "daughter church") (where nobody has ever heard of TWI) at times people just sing quietly in tongues. That freaked me out at first (Waydaze) but it's actually quite musical and pleasant - and a "respectful" and peaceful sound. The people so doing clearly believe they are SIT or whatever they want to call it.

4. Other Christians who I have come to know (from a wide variety of backgrounds and churches) will, alongside someone praying in English or after they themselves have prayed for someone in English - they will very quietly make sounds that are not English; they may say they are "praying in the spirit" or "talking in tongues;" Wayfers would call it SIT.

Although I've never heard SIT taught in church (by any name), it's not uncommonly known. How people are supposed to know or learn I have no idea. Nobody seems to either ask or answer that question. But it is widely accepted that some (at least) do do this thing and it's not thought odd or out of order or discouraged. I think some believe it is a special gift that you either get, or don't.

I know one elderly woman who dearly wanted to SIT but "hadn't been given the gift" - but both her daughters (who by this time went to different churches) did. They were all escapees from the Exclusive Brethren, which is about as weird as TWI; I doubt they learned about SIT there.

None of this makes SIT real or fake - it does mean that there is a huge number of people out there who have been duped, if it's fake. And it would also mean it's a widespread fake across many denominations.

Oh, and by the way: I have NEVER encountered any group that "manifests" by SIT/TIP.

People who "have a message" are much more circumspect in how they present it or offer it to the congregation.

Edited by Twinky

I think WW is right, one of the supposed benefits was "rest to the soul."

Isn't is also supposed to build you up in the inner man? And several other supposed benefits?

Haven't thought of these in years and please, nobody remind me by posting here!!! :evilshades:/>

I think WW is right, one of the supposed benefits was "rest to the soul."

Isn't is also supposed to build you up in the inner man? And several other supposed benefits?

Haven't thought of these in years and please, nobody remind me by posting here!!! :evilshades:/>/>

Well, now, someone HAS to post it now!

Yeah, Raf, I know someone will try (WW probably). If anyone does, please preface with a warning. Better yet, link to some page elsewhere so that those who don't want to be reminded don't have to look.

So, if I'm hearing you right, you don't want someone to just drop the list right into the middle of a sente

The Benefits of Speaking In Tongues:

To edify you - 1 Corinthians 14:4, Jude 20

To speak to God divine secrets - 1 Corinthians 14:2

To speak the wonderful works of God - Acts 2:11

To magnify God - Acts 10:46

To pray perfectly - Romans 8:26,27

To give thanks well - 1 Corinthians 14:17

To have the Spirit bearing witness with our spirit - Romans 8:16

To know you are a joint-heir with Christ - Romans 8:17

To strengthen you with might in your inner man - Ephesians 3:16

To be a sign to unbelievers - 1 Corinthians 14:22; Mark 16:17

Rest to the soul - Isaiah 28:11,12; 1 Corinthians 14:21

I remember VPW teaching that you could use SIT as a surrogate for sleep. I don't know anything about the science of sleep but I should think that some aspect of that concept would be testable.

In FellowLaborers, the effects of sleep deprivation began taking their toll. People started grumbling about it. Next thing you know, the men's coordinator called for a "branch meeting" (all 50 of us). He chewed us out first for grumbling and then for not speaking in tongues enough. He said if we spoke in tongues enough, we could bypass sleep altogether. Guess who overslept the next morning and was late arriving for our morning fellowship. :biglaugh:

Waysider, you talk of sleep deprivation, I am quite familiar, many times over with the experience. Ironic as it is, when my mind is racing on numerous topics and concerns, I SIT and fall into a deep sleep. Now I am sure such a statement begs controversy but I am only stating personal experience that exists to this day.

Waysider, you talk of sleep deprivation, I am quite familiar, many times over with the experience. Ironic as it is, when my mind is racing on numerous topics and concerns, I SIT and fall into a deep sleep. Now I am sure such a statement begs controversy but I am only stating personal experience that exists to this day.

That makes sense. Tests have shown that when you are speaking in tongues (glossolalia), a part of your brain (the frontal lobe) that is involved in reason and self control becomes less active. It's the opposite of what happens during meditation.

In other words, it allows your brain to "chill out".

HERE

Edited by waysider

That makes sense. Tests have shown that when you are speaking in tongues (glossolalia), a part of your brain (the frontal lobe) that is involved in reason and self control becomes less active. It's the opposite of what happens during meditation.

HERE

Yup, I have witnessed that (on line and TV episodes); I have not checked out your link as of this writing but will do so.

Yes, it allows the brain to chill out and the colors are exceptional: how do I say kalidascope?

HERE

Yes, Waysider, the "experiment/research" done by the University of Penn is one of those that I indicated.

• 3 weeks later...

I would be interested in seeing those same "brain wave" studies measuring what the brain is doing during interpretation and prophesy.

If the part of your brain that controls conscious thought is not active during interpretation and prophecy, would that validate interpretation and prophecy as genuine? If, as I suspect, that part of the brain is VERY active, would that invalidate interpretation and prophecy?

• Upvote 1

If speaking in tongues were proven to be true: It would demonstrate that God is genuinely not worth worshiping.

Why not speak through telepathy? Pray in your closet, like Jesus or somebody suggested.

And if communicating to a group, what is said I think would be more important than how.

When has prophecy/interpretation ever blown your mind?

Yea, my little children, I hold in the palm of my hand. We've gone over this before. Thought you needed to hear that again, accompanied by some gibberish, which makes it more real or something. Now study to be stewards, put on the Word, and go forth and be a witness to vain and profane babbling.

Lo shanta alle hanta lo meesh elephanta. Lo bromo nomo gommo flo nood sing soggo.

Actual Translation: We just wanted to see if you'd actually take this foolishness seriously. The angels enjoy a good laugh.