GreaseSpot Cafe

Earthquakes in Other Countries Caused by Idolatry??

Nottawayfer

We were taught in twi that earthquakes and other major environmental catastrophes in other countries happened because they didn't worship the one true God.

After hearing the news on the Iran earthquakes, I don't believe that doctrine anymore. These countries don't have the resources or money to build as extravagantly like they do in California or Tokyo for example. How many buildings fell completely down in in Cal or Tokyo before they figured out how to lessen the impact? I don't think it had a thing to do with the religion of the people.

Job worshipped the one true God, and he had many horrible things happen to him.

I'm so glad I'm not waybrained anymore.

Laughter is a tranquilizer with no side effects.

quote:
Originally posted by Wayfer Not!:

We were taught in twi that earthquakes and other major environmental catastrophes in other countries happened because they didn't worship the one true God.

After hearing the news on the Iran earthquakes, I don't believe that doctrine anymore. These countries don't have the resources or money to build as extravagantly like they do in California or Tokyo for example. How many buildings fell completely down in in Cal or Tokyo before they figured out how to lessen the impact? I don't think it had a thing to do with the religion of the people.

Job worshipped the one true God, and he had many horrible things happen to him.

I'm so glad I'm not waybrained anymore.

Laughter is a tranquilizer with no side effects.

Actually JC taught that type of thing according to judeo christain middle eastern belief before the world was known that the sun did not rise but rather set, and there would be rumors of wars, and earthquakes and things like that...

... hmmm where should i go with these thots...

... whoops

I guess "god" used his foreknowledge to place the plates of the Earth in such places that it would cause earthquakes eventually in the places that people that don't follow TWI's form of religion live.

Of course, places like California buy protection from the wrath of god by simply using their wealth to build stronger buildings.

How can our bad behavior cause these things?

I read in Guideposts magazine a few years ago about a tornado that hit the church Easter morning and killed all kinds of people who were worshiping God. If that were true, why didn't it miss the church?

Of course TWI would say because they were not real believers or something...

Oak - that was funny!

Dot_Matrix.gif

quote:
Originally posted by TheSongRemainsTheSame:

But really... tornado's seem to target trailor parks or is it that trailor park developers unwittingly place their parks in the path of tornado's... or something like that...

I am not an expert on tornadoes, but I spent enough time living with them to have seen devestation that they have caused.

Anyway, it's not that tornadoes just hit trailer parks, it's that the trailers are poorly built so when they get hit, stuff flies everywhere and it looks like a huge disaster area. Most tornadoes will break limbs off of trees and damage a roof, but not knock down an entire house. However, just about anything stronger than a mouse fart can blow down a trailer (exaggeration by the way.)

So the reason this matters is because the news media want to portray the tornado as a huge disaster that wrecked everything. This gets them higher ratings, more awards, etc. So, they go straight to the places that get the worst looking damage.

I have a few interesting tornado stories but I am not going to derail this thread much by talking about them right now...I'll just say that this year I saw a lawnmower shop completely demolished, while the house next-door just had a few shingles missing. Further down the street, a church's roof was caved in, while near it the worst was a few trees knocked down and such. This was about a block away from where I used to live, which made it very strange to see first-hand.

My last year in residence, there was a mild earthquake in New Knoxville, OH. That would have been about 1986 - spring time. It knocked some pictures off of walls and woke most people up. Not me - I slept through it. Don't recall anyone at HQ mentioning an idolatry connection then.

MCR

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing...G.B. Shaw

The earthquakes are caused by built up pressure in the lower core of the earths' surface ~ the earth plates grate when pressure needs to be released...meaning they slip back and forth in order to do so.

Someone else can explain it better ~ how out plates shift.

Resulting is an earthquake.

They are common...some are detrimental to areas above these 'fault lines'...but they aren't caused by a devil and a pitchfork, for sure.

Loss of life is always hard to bare...but a fact of life.

Just my pennies worth.

• 6 years later...