GreaseSpot Cafe

Statement of "Beliefs"

Bolshevik

https://www.theway.org/about-us/statement-of-beliefs/

Have these changed over time?

I particularly notice the lack of a clear statement indicating Jesus Christ is Not God.  That's statement #2.  There's lowercase l in lord.

I can remember over 20 years ago witnessing, handing out the website address, and getting angry phonecalls later about how I deceived them.  The Way is not Christian they'd say, it says so on the website.  Particularly pointing to this "Godhead" thing. 

Ephesians 6:1 dude, I'm not responsible to understand any of it.

Edited by Bolshevik
Still can't spell

Yes I would agree that too looks very whitewashed compared to the Honk if You Worship One God Not Three bumper sticker that I bought from the bookstore many years ago.

It reads similar to a mainstream Christianity church or denomination.  

it definitely hides the fact that over time they have had less and less outside influence from any other Christian source.

Wierwille early on had the spiritual 40 club where his rich congregation members paid to fly in speakers like KC Pillai.  That probably marks the last time any external Christian source is even considered.

Martindale, Rivenbark, neither had any outside Christian influences.  Rvenbarks main outside influence was a lawyer not a minister.

Whitewash cult is closed circle with self appointed unquestioned directors.  Closed circles only perpetuate themselves.  They are most driven towards preserving their positions of power through Machiavellian action.

Right Right Right.  *sips milk*

We don't want to reveal too much to someone just a babe in the Word.  We want to wait until they're spiritually mature enough to handle the meat of God's Word.

When I first took PFAL (has it really been 50 years?), I was told  *cough*  "We don't subscribe to a statement of beliefs because we change as our research evolves." *cough*

That was supposed to explain the New Dynamic (ever changing) Church.

"4. We believe that Adam was created in the image of God, spiritually; that he sinned and thereby brought upon himself immediate spiritual death, which is separation from God, and physical death later, which is the consequence of sin; and that all human beings are born with a sinful nature."

They've made some significant changes. Physical death is no longer a consequence of unbelief brought on by fatigue. Now it's a consequence of sin. Or is that a distinction without a difference, distinctly separate, yet completely full of prepositions? Hold my spoon...

#3 "the virgin Mary" . . . feels odd that TWI is saying that . . just in that way.  Certainly suggesting some alpha Widow issues.

And WHO is WE???  Each point says WE

The royal WE?  There's no members in particular in the godhead bodily dwelling in a hole.

(El and Yahweh came from a pantheon and this one god had his rib taken and there was some other stuff, We are mentioning for no reason)

The Virgin Mary is important to set up Jesus as a bastard Jew. But I remember vic paul making a big deal about "virgin" being an inaccurate translation of young woman from the Hebrew. The point was so belabored, that I never thought TWI believed Mary was a virgin. God's seed for baby Jesus, sure, yet bastard Jew nonetheless. You can't go beyond what you were taught.

WE is the nominative case. 

Edited by Nathan_Jr
My credentials are from Tiffany & Co.

29 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

The Virgin Mary is important to set up Jesus as a bastard Jew. But I remember vic paul making a big deal about "virgin" being an inaccurate translation of young woman from the Hebrew. The point was so belabored, that I never thought TWI believed Mary was a virgin. God's seed for baby Jesus, sure, yet bastard Jew nonetheless. You can't go beyond what you were taught.

. . . 

I remember that now you mention it.  Was it in the collaterals?  The ones in the book store?  Or JC Our Promised Seed?  The one in the book store?  Or JC Our Passover?  The one in the book store?

We believes virgin is spelled with a lowercase "v".  According to the statement.

1 minute ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Four crucified is conspicuously absent from these statements of belief.

I was "taught" in the original denial of the four crucified was tantamount to denying the existence of God. 

It depends on the frequency times the time of the Niles flow.

1 minute ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Right. Apple autocorrect. Kinda like auto reproof, but not. 

Maybe that's what happened.  They posted a post that got edited by an editor.  May misrepresent the original intent.  We simply ASSUMED they stated the statements.

1. We believe it is available to receive all that God promises us in His Word according to our believing faith. We believe we are free in Christ Jesus to receive all that he accomplished for us by his substitution.

What?  Faith?  That's like a curse word once upon a time.  

By "us" I think they mean "we".  By "we" I mean "they".

By his substitution.  His Word is capitalized.   I see dots and I am tempted to connect dots to other dots using lines with fine point Bic pen.

We set forth our study as workmen of the Word of God, realizing that if the research is a right dividing (a perfectly right cutting) of God’s Word, many who believe will be blessed.

https://www.theway.org/about-us/the-way-international/

This is from a different page.  But I thought Scripture interprets itself??

*flips desk and walks away*

8 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

1. We believe it is available to receive all that God promises us in His Word according to our believing faith. We believe we are free in Christ Jesus to receive all that he accomplished for us by his substitution.

What?  Faith?  That's like a curse word once upon a time.  

By "us" I think they mean "we".  By "we" I mean "they".

By his substitution.  His Word is capitalized.   I see dots and I am tempted to connect dots to other dots using lines with fine point Bic pen.

Yeah, this one jumped out like Johnny for me: "our believing faith"

WTAF is believing faith?

Faith is still considered a curse word by those teaching the original class. I was desperately corrected on this. "Believing is what we do, faith is what we have."

I was "taught" we only HAVE but a measure of Jesus's faith. It's the faith OF Jesus's Christ, not faith IN Jesus Christ. It's the subjective/objective genitive debate. It's a traditional theological doctrinal distinction that goes back to "Bible times."

I had to find out about this subjective/objective genitive  issue through my own research. This was never "taught."  One might be inclined to expect victor to teach this type of nuanced grammar, since it seemed obvious the genitive case was his favorite. 

Edited by Nathan_Jr
These damn gloves are full

56 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

We set forth our study as workmen of the Word of God, realizing that if the research is a right dividing (a perfectly right cutting) of God’s Word, many who believe will be blessed.

https://www.theway.org/about-us/the-way-international/

This is from a different page.  But I thought Scripture interprets itself??

*flips desk and walks away*

No, no, no, no... nothing but confusion can come from this old man thinking. The keys are no longer used to interpret - that was already accomplished, literally, according to usage.

The KEYS are to Biblical research. Because the door to God's word is locked, like the box, the lock box. 

There are many keys to Biblical research that will unlock the door to the accuracy of God’s Word, such as learning about Eastern manners and customs, identifying and understanding figures of speech, and knowing how to find the accuracy of the Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic texts.

Whoever wrote the copy for this website is a journeyman of the non sequitur. Close to, but nearly not quite, the level of BS mastery set forth by vic paul. 

Edited by Nathan_Jr
Credentials are engraved. That's how ya know.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

No, no, no, no... nothing but confusion can come from this old man thinking. The keys are no longer used to interpret - that was already accomplished, literally, according to usage.

The KEYS are to Biblical research. Because the door to God's word is locked, like the box, the lock box. 

There are many keys to Biblical research that will unlock the door to the accuracy of God’s Word, such as learning about Eastern manners and customs, identifying and understanding figures of speech, and knowing how to find the accuracy of the Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic texts.

*picks up desk . . . ignores pile on floor*

yes keys unlock doors . . . 

46434811235_9a4e3fab57_z.jpg

Is that the verb open? Or the adjective open?

"Open the doors of service" or "The open doors of service."

These types of distinctions matter. One might have thought they'd learnt that in the original class.

*I'll move out of the way*

image.jpeg

Edited by Nathan_Jr
It might look like a trap house, but they've got printers, you know, for the diplomas

12 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Is that the verb open? Or the adjective open?

*I'll move out of the way*

. . .

Mordor, a stayed minefield . . . the intensive exploitative case . . . be ye doers of the Verb

I mean, The Word isn't a closed book.  It's a closed door.  

ohh . . . Scripture interprets itself . . . it doesn't open itself . . . for that you need keys

4 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

WTAF is believing faith?

Well, believe it or not (heehee), the Advance Class, on pages 26 and 27 of the silly-bus, gives some answers to this question.

It seems that this kind of believing is the kind that comes from the renewing of the mind and is used to operate the law of believing.

It's not the same as the manifestation of Believing, which is an impartation manifestation.

"The manifestation of Believing is your operation of the God-given ability whereby you may believe to bring to pass the impossible at your command according to what God has revealed to you by Word of Knowledge, Word of Wisdom and Discerning of Spirits. It also inspires believing in others."

Now take your Sing Along The Way books and turn to "It's Only Make Believe".

Edited by waysider
  • Upvote 1