GreaseSpot Cafe

The Absent Christ?

OldSkool

So Jesus is UP there?

But to someone in China's perspective, they'd have to look down?  (Through the earth)

Does he move with earth's orbit to maintain UP relative to certain individuals?  But not others?

Soooo many questions . . . 

Not quite sure where I ever said the words "absent in his authority," because I did not.

And I never said the "absent Christ" is a term you will find in scripture. Neither is "second coming" or "return." The Biblical word to describe what happens in the future is "presence," and it's spoken of as a future event. Presence as a future hope implies absent as a current reality.

In any event. 

32 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

So Jesus is UP there?

But to someone in China's perspective, they'd have to look down?  (Through the earth)

Does he move with earth's orbit to maintain UP relative to certain individuals?  But not others?

Soooo many questions . . . 

Yeah. "Up there." Always thought that was strange. But it fits with a flat earth model. If there is UP, there must be DOWN -- turtles all the way....

So, so, so many questions, indeed.

I was listening to someone, a Catholic, briefly discuss how there are words used to describe items discussed in the bible, like the trinity.

He was saying in this in context of how Protestants will point out how, for example, the word "trinity" is not in the Bible - When they talk to Catholics

By Protestants he may have meant fundamentalists, since I think Protestants use the word Trinity, but that was an example.

Just now, Nathan_Jr said:

Yeah. "Up there." Always thought that was strange. But it fits with a flat earth model. If there is UP, there must be DOWN -- turtles all the way....

So, so, so many questions, indeed.

Right so UP must be psychologically.

One of those dimensions mentioned in another thread.

6 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

Right so UP must be psychologically.

One of those dimensions mentioned in another thread.

Maybe. My fellowship commander used to point toward the ceiling (or sky) when talking about his Gawd or Jesus. I think he meant it literally as a spatial reference.

Mike said his Gawd requires binoculars to see his children. His Gawd is far away up there. Again, it's spatial. I think he means it literally, also.

1 minute ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Maybe. My fellowship commander used to point toward the ceiling (or sky) when talking about his Gawd or Jesus. I think he meant it literally as a spatial reference.

Mike said his Gawd requires binoculars to see his children. His Gawd is far away up there. Again, it's spatial. I think he means it literally, also.

I have a theory . . . 

I think maybe The Bible is much older than The Way International.  Maybe even older than George Washington.

Time is another dimension.  

(I'm sure Mike is familiar with Einstein's Telescope . . . he'll figure it out)

7 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

I have a theory . . . 

I think maybe The Bible is much older than The Way International.  Maybe even older than George Washington.

Time is another dimension.  

(I'm sure Mike is familiar with Einstein's Telescope . . . he'll figure it out)

That's a bold theory. Radical, even.

Mike is an expert on gravitational waves. He has a folder full of notes and essays on Einstein. It's archived.

2 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Mike is an expert on gravitational waves. He has a folder full of notes and essays on Einstein. It's archived.

I wonder who taught Einstein to beyond?  Warped thinking sometimes works out.  Unless it doesn't.

But taking notes is curious . . . for rote memory?  Certainly not to find new patterns . . . 

7 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

He used to run an atom smasher too...

Then again, in theatre, "going up" means forgetting your lines. And, as Shakespeare famously stated in As You Like It, "All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players" (Act 2 scene 7)

So, my theory is that it's really a mystic, cryptic message that questions reality. (Most old theatre goers likely missed this point their first time around or have simply forgotten it.)  I have a folder on it that I've been adding bits and pieces to since high school drama class. I have discussed it in intricate detail with seasoned thespians. I'm going to write a novel using the contents if I ever get the time. (Retirement is so time consuming.) I'll probably call it something like The DaWaynchi Code. Kind of a mystery, thriller, enigma type piece. Maybe I'll use a nom de plume to avoid personal controversy. Something like Butch Paisley. I'm not sure yet. I get a lot of private emails of encouragement.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, waysider said:

Then again, in theatre, "going up" means forgetting your lines. And, as Shakespeare famously stated in As You Like It, "All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players" (Act 2 scene 7)

So, my theory is that it's really a mystic, cryptic message that questions reality. (Most old theatre goers likely missed this point their first time around or have simply forgotten it.)  I have a folder on it that I've been adding bits and pieces to since high school drama class. I have discussed it in intricate detail with seasoned thespians. I'm going to write a novel using the contents if I ever get the time. (Retirement is so time consuming.) I'll probably call it something like The DaWaynchi Code. Kind of a mystery, thriller, enigma type piece. Maybe I'll use a nom de plume to avoid personal controversy. Something like Butch Paisley. I'm not sure yet. I get a lot of private emails of encouragement.

So maybe by going UP, it was a way for Jesus to mike drop?

22 minutes ago, waysider said:

Damn, you're good, Waysider. Perfect!

Up to heaven. Down from heaven. In the heavenlies. I think a full exploration of first century cosmology (which is to say, what people believed about the planet and the sky in first century Palestine) would be a fascinating thread. I think I'll do some research and post some thoughts in the Questioning Faith subforum. It's definitely off topic here (speaking as a poster, not a mod).

Right, 

So Jesus left. Into clouds.

The Holy Spirt is here.  Capital H.  Capital S.  To guide The Body? to the all truth?

Jesus is the truth.  

Jesus is not here but the Holy Spirit is so there is a presence on earth.  They and the Father are One.

So he's present.

It's the clouds that are most important here.   That's where are focus is, that's where are heads need to be.  

2 minutes ago, Raf said:

Up to heaven. Down from heaven. In the heavenlies. I think a full exploration of first century cosmology (which is to say, what people believed about the planet and the sky in first century Palestine) would be a fascinating thread. I think I'll do some research and post some thoughts in the Questioning Faith subforum. It's definitely off topic here (speaking as a poster, not a mod).

He also stood on a Hill, got high before getting high.