GreaseSpot Cafe

80th Anniversary of TWI

chockfull

Recycling the “Living Victoriously” theme at the height of VPs influence.  It’s 40 years later.  

The numbers are a fraction of what they were.

The new class is an outline shorter teaching of the original PFAL.  No controversy topics handled.  Unlike the “original revelation”.

Re started the WOW program calling it Way Ambassadors.

The new poster is rooted in the imagery of substituting the “Way tree” for the “Tree of Life” picture.  In fact it was either lifted from a TOL photo or hand copied.  So the same tree you see in “Avatar” for imagery you see in TWI poster.

The Way tree is nothing more than a Biblical justification for a quota sales model instantiated by previous leadership.  It uses a non existent allegory in the Bible to create a strong image in the new Christian in place of the allegories that ARE in the Bible.

The Way tree counterfeits the farming allegories all spread throughout scripture.  You have the sower and seed imagery all on the outside of HQ.  But the function is Way tree agriculture not Christian farming.

The Sower and his Cult Way Tree Forestry department.

Plant a tree today save the future.  One branch at a time.

You are a leaf on a mighty tree.

When life overwhelms your branch has the nutrients.  The trunk is there just to distribute the nutrients which is the heart of the BOD to the leaves.  

Yes the “heart of the BOD” is in the Way tree job descriptions.

Edited by chockfull

Who here cares if it's the 80th anniversary?  Mike maybe; Johniam?  Nobody else.

Personally I'm shocked that after all these years this sham of a religious organisation is still hanging around (though fading away) after 80 years.

I suppose they'll be having their NY Eve "watchnight" event to celebrate the new year.  Or more acc'rately, to celebrate the founder's birthday.

15 hours ago, chockfull said:

The Way tree is nothing more than a Biblical justification for a quota sales model instantiated by previous leadership.  It uses a non existent allegory in the Bible to create a strong image in the new Christian in place of the allegories that ARE in the Bible.

The Way tree counterfeits the farming allegories all spread throughout scripture.  You have the sower and seed imagery all on the outside of HQ.  But the function is Way tree agriculture not Christian farming.

speaking of The Way Tree…some relevant  :rolleyes:    and divergent :wink2:   information follows

The ideological crux behind the entire “Way Tree” revelation hoax is the following grandiose lie: “Each Twig is self-supporting, self-propagating, and self-governing”. The book “The Twelve Traditions” was published by Alcoholics Anonymous in 1946. It sets forth the administrative structure and “procedural protocol” regarding how each AA Chapter is to be governed...

...When I was in-Rez with the 4th corpse in the fall of 1973, 3 Of The new “Advanced Studies” classes were videotaped during our first year. They were “The Renewed Mind”, and “Dealing With The Adversary” by Walter Cummins, and “The Way Tree” by John Townsend. During the taping of The WT, dictor had nite owls in the BRC. During one of said Nite owls, I DISTINCTLY remember him telling us that “The Way Tree revelation”  was “inspired” by the “A.A. structure”. He never said how he came across those writings. You’ll notice also, that small little phrases like KISS———keep it simple stupid—, are also to be found throughout the halls of AA. Plagiarism was a way of life for DP! LOL! 

The Way Tree “revelation” was nothing more than a plagiarized business plan for an MLM scheme called PFAL. And, as EVERYTHING else in dictor paul’s minus-tray, it was stolen almost word-for-Word, and concept by concept from another source and that source, (AA), was never given proper credit publicly. To say that there was ANY part or piece of TWIt that was in any way “original”, is as ludicrous as saying “the Earth is flat”. And, just as accurate!.............peace.

excerpts from      a post by Don’t Worry Be Happy

~ ~ ~ ~

Also related is  Skyrider’s thread The life cycle of wierwille’s way tree

~ ~ ~ ~ 

Moving on to more references :rolleyes: ... from page 890ff  of  Dictionary of Biblical Imagery: Ryken, Leland, Wilhoit, James C., Longman III, Tremper: 9780830814510: Amazon.com: Books

Trees in the Bible:

Trees are a flexible metaphor in the Bible.

New International Version
The LORD God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground—trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food. In the middle of the garden were the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

down the middle of the great street of the city. On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations.

New Living Translation
But Christ has rescued us from the curse pronounced by the law. When he was hung on the cross, he took upon himself the curse for our wrongdoing. For it is written in the Scriptures, “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree.”

5Beware of false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16By their fruit you will recognize them. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20So then, by their fruit you will recognize them.

~ ~ ~ ~

Trees can represent governments, judgement, pride, a curse:

Ezekiel 31 NIV - Pharaoh as a Felled Cedar of Lebanon In - Bible Gateway

And they will know that I am the LORD, when their people lie slain among their idols around their altars, on every high hill and on all the mountaintops, under every spreading tree and every leafy oak—places where they offered fragrant incense to all their idols.

New American Standard Bible
Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us—for it is written: “CURSED IS EVERYONE WHO HANGS ON A TREE”—

The ax is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire.

Your strength will be spent in vain, because your soil will not yield its crops, nor will the trees of your land yield their fruit.

~ ~ ~ ~

Biblical imagery for the church

from page 147ff of Dictionary of Biblical Imagery: Ryken, Leland, Wilhoit, James C., Longman III, Tremper: 9780830814510: Amazon.com: Books

The called out:

concerning the Church, The Bible provides a rich kaleidoscope of imagery about the church composed of around one hundred metaphors and statements. The thread on which all other jewels are hung is the idea of the church as an ἐκκλησίᾳ (ekklēsia)  Strong's Greek: 1577. ἐκκλησία (ekklésia) -- an assembly, a (religious) congregation (biblehub.com) 

applied to the “calling out” of citizens for a civic meeting or of soldiers for battle; used extensively throughout Old and New Test. To refer to the people of God:

Remember the day you stood before the LORD your God at Horeb, when he said to me, “Assemble the people before me to hear my words so that they may learn to revere me as long as they live in the land and may teach them to their children.”

Deuteronomy 4:10 Interlinear: 'The day when thou hast stood before Jehovah thy God in Horeb -- in Jehovah's saying unto me, Assemble to Me the people, and I cause them to hear My words, so that they learn to fear Me all the days that they are alive on the ground, and their sons they teach; -- (biblehub.com)

Strong's Hebrew: 6950. קָהַל (qahal) -- to gather as an assembly or congregation (biblehub.com)

Ephesians 1:22 Interlinear: and all things He did put under his feet, and did give him -- head over all things to the assembly, (biblehub.com)

To the church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be his holy people, together with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ—their Lord and ours:

New Living Translation
You have come to the assembly of God’s firstborn children, whose names are written in heaven. You have come to God himself, who is the judge over all things. You have come to the spirits of the righteous ones in heaven who have now been made perfect.

~ ~ ~ ~

The body of Christ:

Primary image of the Christian church is a body – a living organism, not a religious organization:

12The body is a unit, though it is composed of many parts. And although its parts are many, they all form one body. So it is with Christ. 13For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free, and we were all given one Spirit to drink.

14For the body does not consist of one part, but of many. 15If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. 16And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. 17If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be?

18But in fact, God has arranged the members of the body, every one of them, according to His design. 19If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20As it is, there are many parts, but one body.

21The eye cannot say to the hand, “I do not need you.” Nor can the head say to the feet, “I do not need you.” 22On the contrary, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23and the parts we consider less honorable, we treat with greater honor. And our unpresentable parts are treated with special modesty, 24whereas our presentable parts have no such need.

But God has composed the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it, 25so that there should be no division in the body, but that its members should have mutual concern for one another. 26If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.

27Now you are the body of Christ, and each of you is a member of it. 28And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, and those with gifts of healing, helping, administration, and various tongues. 29Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? 31But eagerly desire the greater gifts.

And now I will show you the most excellent way.

~ ~ ~ ~

The temple:

Central to the Old Testament religion was the temple. The church of Jesus Christ does not worship at a temple but has become the temple. 

16Do you not know that you yourselves are God’s temple, and that God’s Spirit dwells inb you? 17If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy him; for God’s temple is holy, and you are that temple.

built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord.

~ ~ ~ ~

Spiritual seed of Abraham:

some images like “seed” maintain a continuity with the past. The past roots of the people of God stress that the followers of Jesus Christ are connected with the people of the old covenant:

If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Peace and mercy to all who follow this rule—to the Israel of God.

But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.

~ ~ ~ ~

The vineyard:

Israel was spoken of as a much loved vineyard, which had only produced bad fruit and thus destined for destruction Isaiah 5 BSB (biblehub.com) -  the picture in John 15 BSB (biblehub.com) draws on that Old Testament image where we see Jesus as the true vine – and His disciples as branches needing to remain in Him to thrive and bear fruit (be productive).

~ ~ ~ ~

The kingdom of God:

a second background image is the idea of the kingdom. Its relation to the church has been much debated, but the two cannot be identical even though there are areas of overlap. The church is the partial fulfillment of the kingdom of God in the here and now and serves as a primary agent of the kingdom; hence it is appropriate to apply some kingdom imagery to the church itself:

For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves,

~ ~ ~ ~

The flock:

From the everyday world in which Jesus and His followers lived:

John 10 BSB (biblehub.com)

1 Peter 5 BSB (biblehub.com)

~ ~ ~ ~

The bride of Christ:

the people of God look forward to the complete realization of their salvation in the future.

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her

Matthew 25 BSB (biblehub.com)

2 Corinthians 11 BSB (biblehub.com)

Revelation 19 BSB (biblehub.com)

~ ~ ~ ~

The household – an inclusive social unit – family:

Hebrews 3 BSB (biblehub.com)

Ephesians 5 BSB (biblehub.com)

Ephesians 6 BSB (biblehub.com)

~ ~ ~ ~

Do you know what I think?

I think wierwille was so deluded - that he believed The Way Ministry / The Way Tree was the body of Christ...

...and for all diabolical purposes - it more or less was...:evildenk:  The Way Tree mimics the body of Christ - but instead of Christ being the head it was wierwille!

who is the head of TWI now? a dead idol - wierwille !  :nono5:

let's hear it for the royal priest-hoods  :evilshades:

~ ~ ~ ~ 

07e88d6c122bea983b23fbb1b156f16c.jpg

Edited by T-Bone
revision

5 hours ago, Twinky said:

Who here cares if it's the 80th anniversary?  Mike maybe; Johniam?  Nobody else.

Personally I'm shocked that after all these years this sham of a religious organisation is still hanging around (though fading away) after 80 years.

I'm not shocked. They sell soap (Amway) for the mind. They sit on a lot of scratch and they have a few people making up stories to keep the sheep in the fold. Occasionally, one (or some) get out, but the proselytizing keeps it going.

42 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

Vpw said: “The Way Tree revelation”  was “inspired” by the “A.A. structure”

From what I remember, AA doesn't serve stretched coffee. Doesn't have to. Each chapter is self-sufficient, self-sustaining, focused on spiritual health.... oh....wait....

Speaking of the longevity of cult organization, I just started reading UnCULTured: a memoir written by a survivor of the Children of God cult.

It's notable (to me anyway) how a common thread (perhaps a RED thread) among all fundamentalist Christian cult survivors' stories is that the founders find ways to rationalize and self-justify sexual abuse of increasingly young women. Twi is no different in that regard.