GreaseSpot Cafe

The old PFAL class was shared by an old grad

oldiesman

On 12/24/2022 at 5:30 AM, Twinky said:

Despite what a certain poster says here, I love that we have the internet.  Because I can read all sorts of things, and learn all sorts of things.  As I've said before: I even use the net in my gardening work - how? to find out how to tend a new-to-me plant; to find out what kind of disease a plant may be suffering, and how to treat it; to find the best way or time to prune something, and so on.  Furthermore, I "travel" around the world and see places I've never been.  Find out how to fix my car.  Find out about an illness someone is suffering.   Learn Biblical archaeology.  Learn how to fit things together in new ways.  I go much further than any one person "taught" me. 

Reading!  Wow, been doing it since a very tiny girl (probably nearly 3; well before age 4 I was reading, and writing.  

It's dictatorships that want to ban reading, curtail what outside knowledge a person has access to.  Censors books, limits access to non-approved websites.

. . .

The internet is key to the disruption of the family unit.  How families are built influences what religion and politics dominate.

You point out how political dictators censor information to maintain control.  The various types of family units of course are all smaller systems.  The internet helps errode interpersonal boundaries by introducing many new ones all the time.  Thus family structures must dissolves and new systems grow.  This polamorus result is likely fertile ground for the rise of dictatorships, some would argue.

Bolshevik - why are you here if you don't like the internet?

And don't tell me you've never meandered through the net looking for information on anything.  Or anyone.  Because you found this place.

3 minutes ago, Twinky said:

Bolshevik - why are you here if you don't like the internet?

And don't tell me you've never meandered through the net looking for information on anything.  Or anyone.  Because you found this place.

I've stated I was introduced to GSC by my wife and others posters here at the time.

Before that, I had bad experiences with the internet.

The internet affects all, whether engaged or not.

• Like 1

Just now, Nathan_Jr said:

Social media (the internet?) certainly was very helpful to at least one would be dictator in recent years.

Maybe.  If one chirp makes you jump, is that on you or the chirp?

I think the idea is that a more docile, placated, group of people is easier to manipulate.  The individualistic culture we enjoy, which typically demands personal responsibility, as far as I understand is a result of the egalitarian nuclear model.  It's this structure that younger and younger generations will not reinforce.  

12 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

Maybe.  If one chirp makes you jump, is that on you or the chirp?

I brought up this point earlier on a different thread, I think. It’s an important question to ask.

12 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

I think the idea is that a more docile, placated, group of people is easier to manipulate.  The individualistic culture we enjoy, which typically demands personal responsibility, as far as I understand is a result of the egalitarian nuclear model.  It's this structure that younger and younger generations will not reinforce.  

What is the egalitarian nuclear model? The family?

The failure to reinforce this model results in a dissolution of individualistic culture and a rejection of individual responsibility?

Huxley? Orwell?

Edited by Nathan_Jr
Gloves

8 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

I brought up this point earlier on a different thread, I think. It’s an important question to ask.

What is the egalitarian nuclear model? The family?

The failure to reinforce this model results in a dissolution of individualistic culture and a rejection of individual responsibility?

Huxley? Orwell?

Neither.  Tribal families I think are more keen to result in communism.  Other types fascist.  There's at least 8 types.

10 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Which structure will the younger generation not enforce?

*shrugs* The nuclear form.  Anything involving commitment.  With the internet is there any need for family structure?  It takes a village, right?

5 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

Yes, it's important that everyone, everywhere of all ages knows exactly who is banging who, and we know this via the internet.

By reading, we can judge others not on our experience with them, but because IT IS WRITTEN.

LoL   I got a surprise belly laugh out of that. 

I'm sorry I haven't been able to follow your saga much, but some has seeped in by osmosis.  I lived in the town of New Knowxville for a couple years and experienced the local culture, so I can picture some of your complaints.  Is that where you grew up?

Still, it was an unexpected somewhat sympathetic belly laugh.

From what I remember of New Knoxville circa 1977, people kept track of what time others came home on weekend nights, and what clothing was put out to dry the next day.

13 minutes ago, Mike said:

LoL   I got a surprise belly laugh out of that. 

I'm sorry I haven't been able to follow your saga much, but some has seeped in by osmosis.  I lived in the town of New Knowxville for a couple years and experienced the local culture, so I can picture some of your complaints.  Is that where you grew up?

Still, it was an unexpected somewhat sympathetic belly laugh.

From what I remember of New Knoxville circa 1977, people kept track of what time others came home on weekend nights, and what clothing was put out to dry the next day.

I was from various parts of the Northeast and was blamed for the farm animals in New Knoxville, Ohio by non-wayfers.  

Didn't vpw use to give little chuckles?  For some reason I picture him doing that a lot.

25 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

I was from various parts of the Northeast and was blamed for the farm animals in New Knoxville, Ohio by non-wayfers.  

Didn't vpw use to give little chuckles?  For some reason I picture him doing that a lot.

I can't remember that much detail about him. A lot of the time I was HQ, VPW was out on the field or at another campus.  The best I got to view him was at lunch, when he was at HQ.  I only had one long talk with him at HQ, but a lot of 5 minute talks at Rock '72.   Long time to remember few details.

6 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

The internet is key to the disruption of the family unit.  How families are built influences what religion and politics dominate.

Very interesting. 

This looks like it could piggyback on two other family disruptions from technology.

I've often heard that the automobile, after WW2, did much the same thing as you state. Young couples dared to move farther away from family roots with reliable wheels to re-visit, and that influenced a major change in how families were built. 

I think the same thing happened 45 years ago to me, moving 3000 miles from family, comforted by fast reliable air travel.  Then came 9/11 and those re-visit miles got much farther away.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Very interesting. 

This looks like it could piggyback on two other family disruptions from technology.

I've often heard that the automobile, after WW2, did much the same thing as you state. Young couples dared to move farther away from family roots with reliable wheels to re-visit, and that influenced a major change in how families were built. 

I think the same thing happened 45 years ago to me, moving 3000 miles from family, comforted by fast reliable air travel.  Then came 9/11 and those re-visit miles got much farther away.

Yes communities as a whole don't exist as they once did because everyone is moving all the time.  People tend to stay in their homes, avoiding their neighbors, because trust is harder to come by.

2 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

Yes communities as a whole don't exist as they once did because everyone is moving all the time.  People tend to stay in their homes, avoiding their neighbors, because trust is harder to come by.

I have noticed that after the Pandemic and polarizing politics seem to have snuffed out all discussion opportunities that used to happen at Starbucks and similar coffee shops. When people are there, they are on their phones heavily.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

I have noticed that after the Pandemic and polarizing politics seem to have snuffed out all discussion opportunities that used to happen at Starbucks and similar coffee shops. When people are there, they are on their phones heavily.

They're on their phones setting up their next coffee date with a complete stranger.

14 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

People tend to stay in their homes, avoiding their neighbors, because trust is harder to come by.

My twig commander trusts no one. It is a badge of honor for him. He brags about it. He offers the claim unsolicited.

He lives an insular life. Rarely leaves his house. Has no friends. Surrounds himself with his family that is as duped as he is about victor and the cult victor built.

As a result, no one trusts him, either. Except his duped fellowship members.

6 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

My twig commander trusts no one. It is a badge of honor for him. He brags about it. He offers the claim unsolicited.

He lives an insular life. Rarely leaves his house. Has no friends. Surrounds himself with his family that is as duped as he is about victor and the cult victor built.

They stopped using the term TWIG in the 90s was it?  Are you still in touch?

I recently ran into my TWIG coordinators from the 80s/90s.  Because whatever.

8 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

They stopped using the term TWIG in the 90s was it?  Are you still in touch?

I recently ran into my TWIG coordinators from the 80s/90s.  Because whatever.

I use it because it's understandable to everyone, I think. And it's fewer key strokes.

It is always called fellowship. One is either in or out. I use commander instead of coordinator because... "Headquarters"... just "keying off" that military imagery invoked by TWI's own lingo.

No contact. He is one of my ex-wife's most supportive and duped flying monkeys. All the talk of discerning of spirits, yet he can't even discern that he is being used by a narcissist.

Edited by Nathan_Jr
Gloves

10 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

They were taught that for a long time in TWI-3, and he may have not yet gotten the memo to lighten up.

Are you still in touch with him at all?

I know that "late in getting the memo" on new TWI-4 attitudes is happening in TWI-4 in another country, far from HQ, and they are even farther behind on the new attitudes. My reports are that old wineskin policies of the 1990s are still in place.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

They were taught that for a long time in TWI-3, and he may have not yet gotten the memo to lighten up.

Are you still in touch with him at all?

I know that "late in getting the memo" on new TWI-4 attitudes is happening in TWI-4 in another country, far from HQ, and they are even farther behind on the new attitudes. My reports are that old wineskin policies of the 1990s are still in place.

Oh yes, We have no friends when it comes to The Word.

Keep your friends at arms length (not too close)

Iron sharpeneth iron

11 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

. . .

No contact. He is one of my ex-wife's most supportive and duped flying monkeys. All the talk of discerning of spirits, yet he can't even discern that he is being used by a narcissist.

No contact is a wonderful tool.  Unless there's contact.  Then it's just a nice idea.

1 minute ago, Nathan_Jr said:

My TWIG commander first took the class around '75. Went WOW, then CORPS, then family CORPs in rez something something... left in '85 or '86. He only reads the writings of victor. ONLY. He refuses to go beyond what he was taught.

M Night Shamalamalamalamalon had that movie where the kids were told they couldn't go beyond the trees cause boogie monster devil spirits.  

They forgot bad things don't just come from the outside.  So their plan got all messed up.

Just now, Bolshevik said:

Oh yes, We have no friends when it comes to The Word.

Keep your friends at arms length (not too close)

Iron sharpeneth iron

I know, and can understand the circling of the wagons after 1986. TWI-2 was hit by one sever crisis after another, some from within and self-inflicted. Both TWI-2 and -3 were in situations way over their heads.  Over and over from 1986 on JUST WHEN THEY NEEDED THE POWER THE MOST it was not there and they made stupid decisions. 

Their ways of handling all the hate directed at them were not efficient, but insularity and suspicion was all they could come up with. I am grateful some finally outgrew the battle scars of over 35 years ago.

I could understand why I could not communicate with them, from 1986 all the way up to about 5 years ago, and just a tiny bit at a time, and now much more these past months.