GreaseSpot Cafe

The old PFAL class was shared by an old grad

oldiesman

7 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

I'm not trying to have a conversation with Mike, even if that's what it looks like. I am telling my story. My story is not meaningless, though a conversion with Mike is beyond meaningless, as you so accurately point out.

victor paul wierwille and the family of sycophants I married into destroyed my life. I'm simply putting it all down on the page. One of the main reasons I come here is to sort it all out. To write it all out.

Mike can be a foil, but I have never pretended to be able to persuade him. I am not arguing with him, nor have I.

When I first came to GSC several years ago, I thought it was a pro-TWI forum. I don't remember what thread it was, but it didn't resonate with me. It might have been an incoherent rambling of Mike's. But I had questions. So, I remained in the dark for years before I came back.

Mike's bullshonta and delusions and deceptions cannot stand. I am not arguing or conversing with him. The truth I am telling will resonate with someone else who is trying to sort it out for themselves. The truth I am telling will rise above Mike's deception.

Yeah I feel your pain.  My story also is interspersed in these threads also immersed in filibustering.

8 hours ago, Mike said:

I saw VPW worship even in the relatively pure 1970s TWI.  

You don’t have to go all the way back to the 70s to see VPW worship.  You can see it in your bathroom mirror tomorrow morning.  It will still be there like it has for the past 25 years.

And you don’t fool any of us by pretending you saw it as a problem in the 70s but it’s all better now in TWI 4

7 hours ago, Rocky said:

How does it make sense to try to have a conversational style on a thread? (Rhetorical question, I'm not interested in answers to that question)

OTOH, Telling a story in comments on a thread DOES make sense. People are ALL about stories. They are fundamental to human communication and learning.

Trying to have a conversation with Mike is beyond meaningless. It's a waste of time. Tell stories. Don't go back and forth in meaningless chatter with Mike. Please.

I never got an answer from you on how you think this plays out.

What I’m seeing here is running from Mike anywhere he filibusters, which is on every thread.

Do you think us not engaging and leaving the filibuster out there is the answer?

I think it’s the definition of insanity as nothing is going to change that has remained the same for over 20 years.

Any true or genuine account he is going to color.

7 hours ago, chockfull said:

I never got an answer from you on how you think this plays out.

What I’m seeing here is running from Mike anywhere he filibusters, which is on every thread.

Do you think us not engaging and leaving the filibuster out there is the answer?

I think it’s the definition of insanity as nothing is going to change that has remained the same for over 20 years.

Any true or genuine account he is going to color.

Sometimes you just have to let go and leave it to the reader to recognize the absurdity of Mike's blathering over the course of two decades. 

Do you trust readers? 

Or will readers understand better if you add your insight... which has not changed much (or maybe anything) Mike has claimed in the course of those decades? I'm not saying I believe what you post is wrong in any way. However, does or has any of what you've posted/commented made any lasting impact on the history or what Mike says?

5 minutes ago, Rocky said:

However, does or has any of what you've posted/commented made any lasting impact on the history or what Mike says?

Well, for Oldskool, me taking the time to respond to his posts has resulted in pee-wee herman type name calling that just confuses the h3ll out of what being discussed. For me it typically goes like this...

1) I respond to troll bait in a somewhat intellegint and hopefully intelligible manner

2) Mike adds a fresh layer of bullshonta

3) I respond to bullshonta with freshly pushed buttons and wind up in a "I know you are but what am I " type conversation

1.1) I respond to troll bait in a somewhat intellegint and hopefully intelligible manner

2.2) Mike adds a fresh layer of bullshonta

3.3) I respond to bullshonta with freshly pushed buttons and wind up in a "I know you are but what am I " type conversation

and so on...and the end result is forum boards that are barely intelligible and topics are grossly mischaracterized and confused. Mike takes a Colombo approach. He is obviously intelligent enough to act as though he is both smarter and dumber than he actually is and he uses that to derail...thats painfully obvious.

Columbo.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rocky said:

However, does or has any of what you've posted/commented made any lasting impact on the history or what Mike says?

I feel that what I have posted and commented on have made a lasting impact.  Not on Mike but on sympathetic logic that is not as entrenched.

If you are asking the question you don’t feel the same?

29 minutes ago, chockfull said:

I feel that what I have posted and commented on have made a lasting impact.  Not on Mike but on sympathetic logic that is not as entrenched.

If you are asking the question you don’t feel the same?

2 hours ago, Rocky said:

Sometimes you just have to let go and leave it to the reader to recognize the absurdity of Mike's blathering over the course of two decades. 

Do you trust readers? 

Or will readers understand better if you add your insight... which has not changed much (or maybe anything) Mike has claimed in the course of those decades? I'm not saying I believe what you post is wrong in any way. However, does or has any of what you've posted/commented made any lasting impact on the history or what Mike says?

Three rhetorical questions. I apologize for not being clear on it previously.

On 12/22/2022 at 6:11 AM, oldiesman said:
Truly, you cannot go beyond what you are taught.

Unless you defy the limitations. In which case you CAN go beyond what you're taught. In particular, if you DO READ/STUDY beyond the bible (and/or the PFLAP collaterals).

History is filled to overflowing with accounts of humans refusing to be limited by false boundaries imposed by others. 

Cases in point: Star Trek as a model for exploration. Half a century ago, the Apollo space program. In 2022, the Artemis space program. New models/methods for vaccination development. Per Albert Einstein, imagination is more important than intelligence. A recent book by Jane McGonnigle, Imaginable, demonstrates the point. As does David Eagleman's Runaway Species: How Creativity Remakes the World.

Edited by Rocky

13 hours ago, Rocky said:

Unless you defy the limitations. In which case you CAN go beyond what you're taught.

Your point is well taken.    I always took that statement to mean you can't go beyond what's in your head from what you've been exposed to, from whatever source you choose.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, oldiesman said:

Your point is well taken.    I always took that statement to mean you can't go beyond what's in your head from what you've been exposed to, from whatever source you choose.

It would make sense the way you are thinking about it, and I think TWI would leave room for a person to draw that conclusion...but no....they mean you can only go as far as they are going to teach you. That would be a more honest way for them to say it. My 2 cents and experiences rolled up into one...

1 hour ago, OldSkool said:

It would make sense the way you are thinking about it, and I think TWI would leave room for a person to draw that conclusion...but no....they mean you can only go as far as they are going to teach you. That would be a more honest way for them to say it. My 2 cents and experiences rolled up into one...

I think both you and oldiesman are onto something useful here. 

One of my aims is to find all the  "can't go beyond" statements in the film class transcript, and then find them all in the PFAL book.  That kind of study may clear this up to such an extent I can present it to TWI-4 leaders for clarification. 

My first attempt to find the "can't go beyond" statements in the PDF version of the PFAL book failed to find any, but that might merely mean slightly different wording that escaped my search engine.

My unverified hunch is that the "can't go beyond" statements are more aimed at spiritual truths, than at sense knowledge.

For sense knowledge our 5+ senses can "teach" us things.

Edited by Mike

36 minutes ago, Mike said:

One of my aims is to find all the  "can't go beyond" statements in the film class transcript, and then find them all in the PFAL book. 

That's an interesting goal and may be useful.    Only remember Mike, not everything in PFAL is necessarily God-breathed (VPs own words) and there's ooodles of teachings in the world that are NOT in PFAL and that are quite useful and truthful and Godly.

22 minutes ago, oldiesman said:

That's an interesting goal and may be useful.    Only remember Mike, not everything in PFAL is necessarily God-breathed (VPs own words) and there's ooodles of teachings in the world that are NOT in PFAL and that are quite useful and truthful and Godly.

I agree, that is a good thing to keep in mind. 

I tried to demonstrate how I feel free to explore beyond PFAL on the NT Canon thread and on the Determinism vs. Free  Will thread

I think we have a pretty good teacher.  If you can go beyond what the holy spirit is willing to teach - well, you're doing well.  You must be bigger than God.  Whose knowledge is infinite.

John 14:6  and the Comforter, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and remind you of all things that I said to you.

Luke 12:12  For the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say.”

However, going beyond what some human being taught you is definitely achievable.  God graciously gave us brains to think and to work things out.  He expect us to use this marvellous gift, this ability to think.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Twinky said:

... John 14:6  and the Comforter, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and remind you of all things that I said to you.   ...  Luke 12:12  For the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say.”

However, going beyond what some human being taught you is definitely achievable.  ...

I completely agree.  

Please, Twinky, pardon my slight reformatting how I quoted you.

The pattern I see is, (1) first the apostles had various doctrines taught to them by Jesus via the senses.  That prepared their memory and got them properly oriented to (2) later be able to hear God's still small voice, in their curriculum after Pentecost. 

Similarly, the eunuch in Acts knew that he (1) needed some man to guide him, for the first stage in his development.

Paul talks in 1 Cor. 3 about (1) his senses teaching, both in person and in writing, being a foundation for them, from which (2) they could learn to better hear God's direct teaching, and operate the manifestations in love, serving others.

*/*/*/*/*/*

Thinking outside the "box of memes" in TWI life was discouraged by leadership.  Likewise, learning to hear directly God teaching us was discouraged by the Way Tree model.

What went wrong in TWI was the idea that this direct teaching by the Holy Spirit only really worked within the Way Tree model.  God would first reveal things to upper leadership, who would then teach it via senses to the people. 

The Way Tree of 1972 was only supposed to be temporary, to give the massive numbers of very young leadership (1) a chance get their senses-taught foundation mature and solidify. Then as their maturity happened the local leadership could (2) learn to hear more directly from God and not rely on HQ to direct things from a distance.

Ten years later in 1982 there was a transfer of corporate leadership, but never any word of when or how the temporary Way Tree model should be dispensed with. Instead, the Way Tree became a permanent pseudo Biblical structure in the church there. 

Originally, the Way Tree was supposed to promote learning and growth for young people to receive better teaching directly by God, but it later became a means to thwart such learning and growth.

A lot of similar things went on regarding the Reverend titles.  Instead of being temporary, they were supposed (so I heard) to only be for the benefit of non-grad family members of grads, for things like at weddings and funerals.  Just like the Way Tree, these titles became a false fixture in the structure of believer status in TWI.  

Both the Way Tree and the Reverend titles prevented people from learning to hear the direct teaching God yearns for us to receive directly from Him, just like He got to do with teaching Jesus.   I often think of the phrase "...the Father seeketh..."

Edited by Mike

That phrase seems to be in conjunction with, "how will you learn, unless someone teaches you?"

"And what you've been taught is wrong. It's not your fault that you can't go very far. It's not your fault that you are ignorant. Your previous teachers are ignorant. But I will teach you with greater accuracy. I will teach you farther. And that's not all! You will need to be taught the advanced teachings."

The irony is that victor paul wierwille taught error. If one chooses to cling and clutch to these errors, one will surely be stuck right where they were taught.

All this reliance on teachers is bondage.

What Twinky said.

Edited by Nathan_Jr

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Please, Twinky, pardon my slight reformatting how I quoted you.  

Mike, you're shifting the goalposts again.  Context is, as others have pointed out to you: "You can't go beyond what you've been TAUGHT" [not: what you've been reminded of].  And then you shift off to talk about Way tree structure and "Reverends" and suchlike. ( I'm almost surprised that you didn't stick in a plug to say that's what the wretched collaterals are for - "reminding" us.)

Acts 8: The eunuch had Stephen to teach[some versions say "guide"] him.  Then the eunuch was baptised.  Presumably he then had "holy spirit" to teach him further, from the pocket-scrolls that he clearly had. He was "rejoicing" that he now knew, and had holy spirit to guide and teach him.  No hint that he had to join any organisation, or submit to any minister/ rabbi/ prophet/ apostle, to continue his insight, once Stephen had opened the eyes of his understanding.

guide
ὁδηγήσει (hodēgēsei)
Verb - Future Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's Greek 3594: To lead, guide; met: I instruct, teach. From hodegos; to show the way (teach).

(@Mike: Bigger print in above para, so that you can see it clearly.  Nothing about "reminding.")

34 minutes ago, Twinky said:

Mike, you're shifting the goalposts again.  Context is, as others have pointed out to you: "You can't go beyond what you've been TAUGHT" [not: what you've been reminded of].  And then you shift off to talk about Way tree structure and "Reverends" and suchlike. ( I'm almost surprised that you didn't stick in a plug to say that's what the wretched collaterals are for - "reminding" us.)

Acts 8: The eunuch had Stephen to teach[some versions say "guide"] him.  Then the eunuch was baptised.  Presumably he then had "holy spirit" to teach him further, from the pocket-scrolls that he clearly had. He was "rejoicing" that he now knew, and had holy spirit to guide and teach him.  No hint that he had to join any organisation, or submit to any minister/ rabbi/ prophet/ apostle, to continue his insight, once Stephen had opened the eyes of his understanding.

guide
ὁδηγήσει (hodēgēsei)
Verb - Future Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's Greek 3594: To lead, guide; met: I instruct, teach. From hodegos; to show the way (teach).

(@Mike: Bigger print in above para, so that you can see it clearly.  Nothing about "reminding.")

Before going over all the sentences, my impression is that we totally agreed on a point:  that holy spirit can be a direct teacher.

I then pointed out that this direct teaching is part of a two step process.

Then I pointed out two ways TWI thwarted that direct teaching, as directly related points.

Can you tell me where we diverged in opinion?

Also, the reminding was something Jesus brought up in the two step process. I honestly don't see any goalposts that were moved.  I simply added a little.

Also, I did my best to not make it a blurb for the collateral's as I promised for my New Years Resolution.  I did 20 years of blurbs, and that is enough.

What I am NOT doing is abandoning my paradigm (= set of Postulates), and I still use them in my reasoning.  That may be why you were expecting a PFAL blurp where non appeared.  I am learning to just go to the edge, and no more.

I will try my best to pull back on that stuff.

2 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Man, say that again a few more times for the folks in the back! Not only is it bondage it has a way of siphoning off ones money in mis-spent tithes. Strange how that reliance results in an almost starry eyed worship. I used to look at VPW and Martindale as if they were spiritual giants...now I realize they were little mice amongst grown men.

2 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

That phrase seemed to be in conjunction with, "how will you learn, unless someone teaches you?"

"And what you've been taught is wrong. It's not your fault that you can't go very far. It's not you fault that you are ignorant. Your previous teachers are ignorant. But I will teach you with greater accuracy. I will teach you farther. And that's not all! You will need to be taught the advanced teachings."

The irony is that victor paul wierwille taught error. If one chooses to cling and clutch to these errors, one will surely be stuck right where they were taught.

What Twinky said.

Paul taught this as people forming sects saying “I am of Paul” “I am of Apollos”

Ironically VPW was such a master flim flam artist he could cover those verses externally while internally setting up a system where he is the unchecked unquestioned authority on the meaning of ANY verse.

And creating a ministry that is 100% “I am of VPW and PFAL” 

Have any questions on the class, write “The Teacher”.

”literal translation according to usage”

Like Paul taught and confronted who if anyone got anything positive from PFAL and was led to Christ, who is VPW except a preacher or teacher by which th why were led to Christ?  All the idolatry that ensued from hero worship led not to the body of Christ in a functioning fashion but to Gilligans Island on a beach shipwrecked away from society.

Edited by chockfull
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Twinky said:

I'm wondering if *Mistletoe Mike doesn't simply have ADHD. Of course, we ALL are easily susceptible to distraction anymore these days because of the internet. (I'm thinking Bolshevik may agree).

But I digress. I saw an image/meme with this Octavia Butler quote from her book, Parable of the Talents and immediately thought of the silliness of people not being able to go farther than they are taught. I realized there are so many reasons GSC needed to see/hear/read it. 

Octavia-Butler-quote1.jpg

The sentiment is apropos for TWI and other cult survivors, is it not? (I ask rhetorically) 

*Mistletoe is the common name for obligate hemiparasitic plants in the order Santalales. They are attached to their host tree or shrub by a structure called the haustorium, through which they extract water and nutrients from the host plant.

I've been scratching my head about Mistletoe Mike for some time. Yesterday, it occurred to me his relationship with GSC is, indeed, that he represents a parasite. I don't mean to infer or insinuate he is less than human. Just that his relationship to the website seems clearly to be parasitic in nature. 

First used in English in 1539, the word parasite comes from the Medieval French parasite, from the Latin parasitus, the latinisation of the Greek παράσιτος (parasitos), "one who eats at the table of another"[5] and that from παρά (para), "beside, by"[6] + σῖτος (sitos), "wheat", hence "food".[7] The related term parasitism appears in English from 1611.

Edited by Rocky

I now conclude EVEN Wierwillites are able to go far beyond what they've been taught... but not without breaking the bonds limiting them to the boundaries of Victor's teachings, subculture, and idolatrous religion. 

Of course, I (long ago) determined not to accept the Wierwillite limitations. 

Eve (you know, Adam's better half :wink2: ) may have (mythically, perhaps) been banned from the garden of Eden because she was "tricked" by a snake.  but Linus, OTOH... obtained citizenship in the Land of Knowledge.

citizenship.jpg?w=500

• Upvote 1