GreaseSpot Cafe

Hack social media?

Guest Extremist

Question

11 answers to this question

I apologize that I did not see this when it originally posted.

I am not aware of The Way having hacked into anyone's social media and would refrain from making any such accusation without some evidence (a first-hand allegation would qualify. "I heard they did it to my ex best friend's cousin-in-law" would not).

Is it an accusation or simply a question?  I can understand why (W-H-Y) such a question is asked. (Though, the advice for making accusations is fair.)

Personally, I was betrayed, spied on and reported for making the wrong observations and looking at the wrong websites, this being one of them. And I wasn’t even IN The Way International, Inc.! I simply had the misfortune of marrying into a family living and teaching in accordance with TWI doctrines of the good ol’ days while standing firmly, above all, on the shoulders of victor paul wierwille - they believed they were more authentically TWI than TWI itself.

When one starts to connect the dots, one realizes it’s all manipulation, lies and bullshonta. All. Of. It.

The teachings at fellowship, the daily “emails of edification,” the unannounced, unsolicited visits to discuss uncannily relevant personal issues were claimed to be by divine revelation. But they were NOT. None. Of. Them.

The topics were specifically relevant to me because of sycophantic spies. I know what it’s like to have personal trust betrayed and manipulated to prop up “leadership” and tear down the one refusing to drink the koolaid. 

I wasn’t hacked, but I was deceived and spied on, nonetheless. My fellowship didn’t know how (H-O-W) to hack social media, but if they did, I believe they would.

I understand the paranoia behind the question. 

Edited by Nathan_Jr
Gloves

Fair enough.

My paranoia is in the other direction: that we are not seen as a site that gleefully reports every rumor without any concern over its veracity.

At the same time, the original post was specific in its query and I was specific in our reply, but I agree that a more expansive look at the question could easily yield insightful answers.

To wit:

Has TWI ever done anything that you considered an invasion of privacy?

[For Clarification: Raf and Modcat5 are the same person]

Edited by Raf

Mmmph

9 minutes ago, waysider said:

Yes. In FellowLaborers, we were subjected to room checks, which included clandestinely going through your personal belongings, even your underwear drawer. (While you were away on some other assignment.) Well, it was long before the internet and what we now think of when thinking about invasion of privacy, but that's what it was, plain and simple.

God must have told them to do this.

What were they looking for? Did they ever find it?

2 hours ago, Raf said:

Has TWI ever done anything that you considered an invasion of privacy?

Yes. In FellowLaborers, we were subjected to room checks, which included clandestinely going through your personal belongings, even your underwear drawer. (While you were away on some other assignment.) Well, it was long before the internet and what we now think of when thinking about invasion of privacy, but that's what it was, plain and simple.

On 11/19/2023 at 4:57 PM, Guest Extremist said:

Has TW ever tried or effectively hacked into anyone's social media, email, etc.?

At what period?  How long ago were you thinking of?  

Certainly until recent times, they didn't have the ability to even devise a decent-looking website, much less do any hacking.

While I am confident that anyone at the top of twi would WANT to hack people's profiles anywhere, as well as invade ANY privacy they had, neither they nor their top stooges have had the wits to be able to pull it off.   twi, until fairly recently, had a policy of telling its followers to avoid the internet, to avoid going online, to avoid all online interaction categorically.  If someone had to go online, they were to go specifically where they needed to go, then to go offline immediately, and avoid everything else.

In case one wonders why twi had such a policy, twi's best defense against people leaving twi or even QUESTIONING twi has been the mushroom method-  keep the followers in the dark and feed them swill.   The internet makes it EASY to find alternate points of view, to find people who can tell the truth about twi, who can spill the beans about their unlawful and immoral activities- not to mention unBiblical activities.   So, keep people from even KNOWING there's options, to keep them mindlessly returning weekly to twi and handing over 10/15/20% of their income.  (lcm's attempts to have people hand over almost all their money- the "plurality giving"- was never particularly effective.  Ever heard of any other religious group that said to calculate what you needed to live on, then send them the rest?  Only twi had the nerve to pull that. I'm not even sure the Moonies tried to go that far.)

twi's fond of spying on people, but their methods are crude. If you live on-grounds, you have no privacy. People listen in on conversations (even if you're just visiting), and will read anything they are able to, even if it's immoral or illegal to do so.  (BTW, I once spoke to someone on-grounds and warned him all conversations were monitored. He disagreed, and we discussed something else. About a minute later, someone broke in and contradicted what I'd just said- and I'd said it quietly.  He missed the look that passed the 2 people he interrupted.  He'd just PROVED conversations were monitored, which, at that moment, was the worst thing he could do for the other guy.)   So, expect them to focus more on low-tech, but expect them to spy on people on-grounds using every method at their disposal, limited largely by their competency.

• Like 1