GreaseSpot Cafe

The Secret That Influenced My Life For 25 years

Rusty Duck

For years I'd told myself, "Someday I will talk about what happened while I was a member of The Way International. I will tell how Limb Coordinator Christoph Stoop threatened my life when the US Army JAG and CID offices were investigating an incident that occurred involving us and others at my secure Army microwave transmitter station during my assignment in Europe. Those events eventually ended with me being (oddly) medically discharged a full 18 months early, after being hospitalized three separate times for suicidal ideation. Furthermore, as the guilt and fear consumed me post-discharge, and after several suicide attempts, I found myself in a VA psych ward, which was the beginning of my recovery with the help of the VA. It was a cathartic experience. I became stronger during that lengthy and intensive treatment process. It was excruciatingly slow and painful – but in the end, I am more whole today than ever before thanks to the caring professionals at the VA. During that time, I was evaluated for multiple service-connected disabilities, including PTSD related to the experiences centered on TWI. I was rated permanently disabled and awarded 100% compensation. I’ve never felt money fixes anything but it has opened doors for educational opportunities and housing possibilities I would not have realized beforehand."

Thanks for listening.

Edited by Rusty Duck
Brevity
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I feel that, thanks Waysider. I have more to share but it took 25 years to tell my story. I'm still basking in the relief of letting the first chapter out. It's been a marathon of a life. Thanks for seeing me.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

On 1/26/2024 at 12:34 AM, Rusty Duck said:

For years I'd told myself, "Someday I will talk about what happened while I was a member of The Way International. I will tell how Limb Coordinator Christoph Stoop threatened my life when the US Army JAG and CID offices were investigating an incident that occurred involving us and others at my secure Army microwave transmitter station during my assignment in Europe. Those events eventually ended with me being (oddly) medically discharged a full 18 months early, after being hospitalized three separate times for suicidal ideation. Furthermore, as the guilt and fear consumed me post-discharge, and after several suicide attempts, I found myself in a VA psych ward, which was the beginning of my recovery with the help of the VA. It was a cathartic experience. I became stronger during that lengthy and intensive treatment process. It was excruciatingly slow and painful – but in the end, I am more whole today than ever before thanks to the caring professionals at the VA. During that time, I was evaluated for multiple service-connected disabilities, including PTSD related to the experiences centered on TWI. I was rated permanently disabled and awarded 100% compensation. I’ve never felt money fixes anything but it has opened doors for educational opportunities and housing possibilities I would not have realized beforehand."

Thanks for listening.

Your experience sounds pretty intense Rusty.  I'm thankful you received such care and you are able now to share your story. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just checking in as have been in absentia for awhile. Wow, I am Very Sorry for all you endured, but believe I quite understand... And another Wow! for your perseverance in healing, all you have processed, and how well you shared your story...:eusa_clap:

Hey Rusty Duck,

A lot of vets face a lot of crap.

I look forward to reading more of your story.

Like you, I was a Military WOW Ambassador after becoming involved w/TWI.

Unlike you, I never had suicidal ideations. I have had other intense ideations, when dealing with a divorce that was far more painful than it needed to be. One factor for me was the model of family where the man is the head of the woman. 

Also like you, I have gotten medical care at the US Dept of Veterans Services. I hear stories from fellow vets who are less than pleased with VA medical care. However, I'm tremendously thankful for the care I've received.

Maybe sometime I'll be ready to get more personal and vulnerable in what I share about my medical care. For now, I don't want to derail your thread or take away from your story.

Your story is very important. I'm very interested in hearing more of it, as much as you can be comfortable sharing.