GreaseSpot Cafe

Did TWI pull their website?

IMF777

All of TWI's urls bring up a forbidden message.

www.theway.org

www.theway.net

www.theway.com

Did MSNBC's attorneys get to them for the Bradshaw video on their site, or did someone forget to pay the bill?

Copyright 2004 by the author. All rights reserved. Posting may not be copied or reproduced by anyone, including employees and followers of The Way International, Inc.

Zix,

I'm pretty much in the mind of thinking that they're working on the site or something, too.

However, I know that with HumanClick http://www.humanclick.com/ there is a whole lot of information given about people when they hit a page that has HumanClick embedded somewhere on the site.

I also know that with message boards (such as GSC) this info can be used to block people from accessing the site.

Is that not possible with a regular website?

And if anybody is wondering...I am in no way saying or implying that twi is doing this with their site. I am merely curious.

?????????????

quote:
Originally posted by Lightside:

Can their computer know if our computer has been to the Greasespot cafe? And then denie access?

Anyone who runs a web server can get the IP addresses of who connects. This could allow them to know what ISP you use, and in some cases a general physical location (such as a city or state.)

However, they can NOT determine who you are if you go to their site. They will only know that someone looked at it, what their IP address is, and what time they went. There's no way to track things back specifically to Greasespotters, unless pawtucket decided to allow them access to his logs, which I'm sure he would never do without a search warrant from the cops.

One other thing though, is that they could see what sites link to them. If you link to it from here, the referrer would show up to them as gscafe.com. They could write a script to block people from here by linking to them from this site, but I doubt anyone in TWI is technical enough to think of doing it. Plus, it helps their google ratings if other sites link to them, so they wouldn't want to block this site.

It's 5:45 p.m. est and all three links work just fine.

Hope R. color>size>face>

... there's a star on the far horizon, rising bright in an azure sky,

for the rest of the time that you're given, why walk when you can fly?

Mary Chapin Carpentersize>color>

Here's my quarterly free advice for the Way website. I put it nicely in case it's someone's kid working on it.

Can you peepul say "alt tags"? Google it, check it out, use it. Live it, be the alt tag. Never let it fall by the wayside. Don't just speak the alt, DO the alt.

What's the benefit, ye ask? Take your mouse and place your cursor over my little dancing Calvin guy. GENTLY! He's a sensitive li'l guy.

Hold it still for a sec. See what it says, Way Web Dude/Dudette? "Picture of socks"...!!!! That's not just for everyone who can't figure it out just by looking at it that it's a picture of socks, which might sound whacked but you're in the Way so we won't go there. But think, ponder, consider, the things you could do with that little alt tag thingie.

Like for starters make your site COMPLY with accessibility standards for WEB SITES, ya binkie heads, just like everyone else in the known universe.

Please...listen to me, web designer person....

You have the site sized for an 800 X 600 screen resolution. Good idea. But once you get out of the main page, every page is indented around the top and left hand side. And depending on how large a person sizes their browser window it's not straight and looks off.

Do this: go to the body tag and add this line-

leftmargin="0" topmargin="0"

The page will fill the whole window then or at least look like it. Unless you like framing the whole thing in white which may be the case, but if you're going to do that then make all the pages including the homepage do that. Please? With cherries on top?

Then get back to me via this board. We're just getting started. icon_wink.gif;)-->

And don't say I never gave you anything!

(P.S. I know, I know, I'm being sassy with you and that's not so easily entreated is it Way Webbie Person? But hey, this is free and you're getting valuable training so I get to make fun of you in exchange, make you get my coffee, set up my ashtrays, laugh at my jokes and massage my...........ego. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->.

Not forever. Just till you graduate....) icon_razz.gif:P-->

In line, in line, it's all in a line. My ducks are all in a row.

They do not change, they do not move. They have nowhere to go.

James Taylor

[This message was edited by socks on February 17, 2004 at 19:11.]

[This message was edited by socks on February 17, 2004 at 19:12.]

Talkin' to me agin, are ya there Ala? icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

(duck!)

You're right. Mints. Cracked in half for easy consumption. Thanks A la. Tissues, too. Never know when I may need to blow my schnozz, figuratively speaking of course. Little cups of coffee. Sippin' glass.

But keep in mind Way Webnad, this stuff doesn't bless me, it blesses you, I "hate" it, I just do it so you can be blessed.

In line, in line, it's all in a line. My ducks are all in a row.

They do not change, they do not move. They have nowhere to go.

James Taylor

quote:
However, they can NOT determine who you are if you go to their site. They will only know that someone looked at it, what their IP address is, and what time they went. There's no way to track things back specifically to Greasespotters, unless pawtucket decided to allow them access to his logs, which I'm sure he would never do without a search warrant from the cops.

I'd like to clarify this a little. To the best of my knowledge if you are in greasespot, and click the link above to go to theway.org, your browser *will* give TWI's server both your IP address *and* gscafe.com's IP address as the referrer. TWI's server probably ignores the referrer but we don't know. If this is a concern to you, just go into theway.org from google or something.

I really don't want to go into any more detail with this lest TWI uses the information against us.

TWI's site is very amateurish and very poorly configured.

I imported their entire Web Site onto my system (legally) and I cannot find where they are using cookies or web beacons.

From the looks of things this Site was slapped together in Front Page by a complete novice with no sense of structure or organization or an eye for graphical design.

It is doubtful that whoever administers their web site has any clue at all about how to gather stats or information.

Goey

"Most of my fondest memories in TWI never really happened"