GreaseSpot Cafe

Amazing Sea Monkeys on Mars

Tom Strange

I would agree, Steve! It's the same gif on the same site host I've had it on for a couple years. So I don't know if it has anything to do with that or not, but if it stopped it that's fine by me. But I'm about to cancel with them anyway, so it's no biggie. Nothing about their service, just switching gears to a west coast host. The Calvinator will be back Bluzeman!

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get it! An' I got it! I think this will work.

Grazi! Grazi!

Yeah, Sheryl Crow's got a rocker there, pulling from the library of rock riffs with a nod to the Gangster of Love Himself, Steve Miller. Cool tune! Check it out HERE, "Steve McQueen".

"I ain't takin' $hit off no one, baby

That was yesterday.

I'm an all-American rebel

Makin' my big getaway.

Yeah, y'know it's time, I gotta fly...."

A lyric many-a Greasespot can relate to, hey?

For some downhome followup, check this chili, "Found Love", an old sweet Jimmy Reed tune redone in a bun by Boz Scaggs. He does it justice. Get your buns toasted and slop on some of Reed a la Boz HERE with "Found Love".

Sheryl Crow. The tunes, jeans, the bass ride. Crow knows. You know she knows. icon_smile.gif:)-->

bluzecentral.net - hear the love!

Glad you liked it!

Harry Duncan is the reed man. He did some work on the early music of Don Van Vliet, AKA Captain Beefhart. Surviving that, he appears to have done well although I don't know of much else he's recorded.

I love Jimmy Reed. His was one of the first 45's I bought. Think "Rumble", Link Wray was the first, pret' sure on that as memory serves if'n I'm recollocking right, back in the late 50's p'raps if that be correct cordin' to recall. First Reed 45 was "Mary Mary".

I've always felt that Boz's contributions as a member of the original Steve Miller Band indicated his deep awareness of the truth of the Amazing Sea Monkeys! "Children of the Future" and "Sailor" were groundbreaking albums, particularly for a "blues band". Together they moved pop rock and blues in a unique direction. Once they established the future vision where did the music go? The ocean, the sea....sailor...sailing....exploration.... I mean, really. Boz knew. Miller knew. They know. You know they know.

doot do do do do doot doooo!

livin' in the U.S.A.!

Tell it brother Socks! ...it's Amazing I tell ya! Sailor was one of my very first albums I ever owned while "Livin' in the U.S.A." (somebody get me a cheeseburger!)... know what I mean?

...and Boz's duet with Duane Allman on "Loan Me a Dime" is classic! I always followed those two homies work... although I do admit that I became disinterested in Boz as much when he started doing all that disco! (well, it might as well have been disco anyway)

I know what you mean, Brother Tom! It's amazing! Shoulda known you'd be a Miller fan! Here y'are, Miller sings of life, love and fast food with Brother Scaggs - Livin' in the USA. (mebbe give it a sec to wind up)

His followup album references Livin' - "Brave New World" picks up where Sailor leaves off, providing direction for the disenfranchised hippy-love-throngs. Suit up in your best socks and spurs for Space Cowboy.

bluzecentral.net - "yeah sheriff, and that's your WIFE on the back o' my horse...."

I'm on a Steve Miller jag here now Tom. I remember vividly when he came in to the San Francisco bay area. Saw him several times, once early on with a blues band he was fronting with Curly Cook, from Texas. Cook had his own band for awhile after he left Miller. Saw the full SMB lineup at the old Fillmore, and they did most of Children of the Future and several blues tunes. They were different, between Miller and Scaggs they really had a lot of tunes. I remember they all seemed really tall and filled up the front of the stage. Compared to a lot of the SF bands, they were long on attitude, no tie-dyes at that point in the wardrobe. Later, Steve Miller kept on with a 3 piece. He always seemed to balance between blues jam stuff and tunes. In tunes like Space Cowboy and Don't Let Nobody Turn You Round he nailed the Clapton sound he was chasing and he always had a few rock/pop things coming out. Boz - forget it. That first album of his with Duane Allman was killer stuff. Tunes of his like "Baby's Calling Me Home" and "Long Gone" are really personal for me. Great tunes, there's just something there that I always liked. He captured another side of that "mystical" sound Miller nurtured. Cool stuff. Aaaah.... icon_cool.gif

You are all Amazing!!!!

Feel like I'm way over my head here...Scaggs was part of the Steve Miller Band...duh me ( icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->) sheeshhh...I feel so out of touch!

Scaggs was introduced to me in a song called 'Lido Shuffle'... icon_frown.gif:(--> I know the Scaggs/Disco era...but I liked it very much...the whole album.(sorry icon_frown.gif:(-->)

Of late I've been listening to a singer called Eva Cassidy ... has anyone ever heard of her? My friend Dougie 73 introduced me to her. I'd have to say...she's one of the most incredible jazz/blues/folk singers I have ever heard (if not one of the most incredible singers all together). She passed away in 1998 at the age of 33. Don't know much more than that except that she left a legacy of music that baffles me with it's perfection. I am convinced that Eva had to have been connected with those Amazing Sea Monkeys! It feels so good!

Susan Werner is another singer I've listened to lately...mucho Amazing as well!

Socks my brother...Calvin is back!!! icon_razz.gif:P--> You gotta love that!

PS ~ If someone could show me how to do that thingy where you can put a song on the post and you guys/gals just click on it to play it ~ I'd post some Eva here. Help! icon_confused.gif:confused:-->

It's a smalllll world, it's a smallll world.

Yuppers they were in the same band, Boz Scaggs is on the first two SM albums recorded on Capitol, "Children of the Future" and then "Sailor". Both albums were "concept" albums, especially Children. The entire first side is one piece. He threw a curve at a lot of listeners with his first few albums. But it made sense to me at the time, for some reason. It just hit home. A la you might enjoy the album Brother Strange is referring to, the first solo Boz did after leaving the Miller band. Great tunes, a very poignant sound. The cover photo and back covers are a hoot too. Bet you'd dig it. I'll try to find some and post later. But the all time greatest song of his I love is "Baby's Calling Me Home". Just takes me away.....

The disco era Boz, I too enjoyed. Lido Shuffle, classic Stuff! Love that tune. Great guitar solo. 's all good!

OH MY GOD!!!!!

Amazing Sea Monkeys....come to my rescue! icon_eek.gif

It seems the force of the Dark Monkey has somehow SUDO -infiltrated into our wonderful thread here and now for some bizarre reason.. 'It's A Small World' ... (I know it's a conspiracy for that 'one world government' thing!!!) won't stop playing... icon_eek.gif

Helllppppppppppp!!!! icon_frown.gif:(-->

Anyone able to help me figure out how to post music link thingies like our genius brother Argyle has done????

That's pretty much it, A la. First you'll be putting up your music and it'll be very innocent. Then it'll be selections from "Beloved Songs of the Nor' Country", then it'll be "French Polka's and Party Fav's". It'll just get out of hand.

Okay, I will add these instructions on how to add music to your posts. It's pretty simple.

Hold your radio up to the screen really close and turn it up REALLY loud. No, louder. Nope. I can't hear it. Louder, if you can.

Okay, I will stop. To put music on the internet, you need to send me 5 dollars for an installation fee, and I'll send you the antennae to mount on your monitor.

Okay, that's enough. Here's the instructions for making music on your internet post. Sing with me now, "Oh, Beayoooootiful Oh-h-eye yo, so soft and green, oooooohhhhhhh...."

Okay, I'm sorry. You will need to move your music to an internet server, and then link to it, using the url button on your post window. Bluzemanster set me up, my host is changing, and I didn't have any server to use. So he helped me out with some space. I'd be happy to add it to mine, or maybe he'd set it up for you if he sees this. Other than that, you would need an internet host where you have space, that you can move files to and then you link to them with a regular url link, like "http://host.corn/music/you_polka_mein_the-eye!.mp3 Then it'll play when clicked. The Bluester's been a big help. I'm on his dime though.

Other than that, if you sing the song directly in to the fan vent behind your PC tower...okay, I'll stop. Just kidding.

Dear Brother Shkinging,

I will pray for your infirmities!

Thank you so much for the info on the music link. I think hubby told me about this huge email thing we have with our server. He actually opened up an account for me just the other day. I'll ask him if this is what you are referring to.

Thank you for the offer to use your space but I think I'll be able to use this account.

OK, now back to finding that fan...la, la, la, la, la-la, la-la!!!

(socks, you had me spewing all over my screen tonight...thanks for the chuckles!)

I could feel the love

I could be the love

I could live the love

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my, has it been that long!?!

Typo. Code for Uncle Noun. (..."unknown, you're cleared for landing...") A dish best served warm with a splash of clarity.

I think I'm hearing out takes from The Rhythm Pigs first and only EP. Close those blinds and gawd, turn down that pixie crud sumbuddy! Can't even get a decent night's sleep or read the paper in piece since these psycho-cha-cha mooks moved in upstairs!!!