GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeStGeorge:

quote:
Originally posted by Sudo:

Pirate,

Thanks for the 'heads up' as I was able to catch two episodes last night. And guys... Rick is right... the tune I posted was the theme to The Life And Times Of Grizzly Adams. Seems to me it was around that time that Hamm's beer came out with that bear commercial, too. Anyone remember that one??

sudo

Sudo, you probaly have to live in the Midwest to remember Hamm's beer. Of course, with Hamm's commercials appearing every inning of Cubs games, it's hard to forget "From the land of sky blue wa-a-ters..." even after thirty years. Most of the commercials had a guy sketching the bear on a cocktail napkin, the sketch becoming a live cartoon involving the cap from a a Hamm's bottle. icon_cool.gif

George

ChattyKathy, you're right. this is a fun thread, though i doubt I'll pick up the 34 pages I've missed!

Welcome! You certainly are a quick one to pick up on a suggestion. icon_smile.gif:)-->

And you don't have to catch up, you can join in anywhere because it changes all the time.

But I'm going to be rude now as I need to head out the door. icon_smile.gif:)-->

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I enjoyed it.

I never really loved Lucy, but recognize her greatness.

Green Acres was never my favorite show, but I recognize it's genius. It was Eddie Albert abused by everyone , including his wife who would always see the 'logic' of the 'Hootersville' native. I know people who ay green Acres is the best syhow ever. I'm not one of them , but I understand what they mean.

I'm mostly amazed Eddie Albert lived this long. He was looking long in the tooth during Green Acres, and that was almost 40 years ago.

And Eva wan't exactly young then, either! I think Eddie was perfect for the part, though. He was able to carry off exasperation with that great baritone voice. (Leeeesa! Ehhhhb!! Mr. Haney!!)

I heard that Carroll O'Connor was also up for the part. I don't think it would have worked as well. (Aww geeze, Liser!)

George

Henry Corden was an excellent voice actor, but you are correct that he was not Alan Reed. He did alot of Pebbles commercials tho.

The one constant in Flintstone voices was jean Van der Pyl as Wilma. The original cast featured Alan as Fred, Jean as Wilma, Bea Benederet as Betty, and Mel Blanc as Barney.

That's some major talent gathered together!

One aside - when the Flintstones began, Mel Blanc had just been in a major automobile accident that left him hospitalized in a body cast for months. The engineers would set up equipment in his hospital room so he could do his Barney lines from his bed. That is some pro.

Fortunately, Mel recovered and lived another 30 years in mostly good health.

Getting back to Eddie Albert..

I was talking with my mom yesterday at the family gathering for Memorial day. While most of us remember him in Green Acres, she remembers him in the Brother Rat movies that featured Ronald Reagan, too. They also featured Reagan's first wife, Jane Wyman who is in her 90's now but still with us.

How I would love to talk to some of the stars of that generation before they are all gone. I don't think I ever saw a Brother Rat movie but I know this.. they would be a historical record of how we and this country viewed things back then.

sudo

Tell you guys something else about Eddie Albert I remembered.. he was the warden in the first The Longest Yard movie. My son and some friends went and saw the re-make last weekend and I was thinking that the original warden was a pretty mean character but I couldn't remember who played him. Lo and behold I realized it was Eddie Albert..

I think its time for a new clip, 'ya think? This is from a game show that was a big hit 20 years ago. In fact, it was the Who Wants To Be A Millionaire of its time. Isn't it funny how these shows come and go?? There a few short years back Millionaire was all the rage and then just as suddenly... it was gone. Overexposure, you know.

Click HERE! and take a shot. I have a sister-in-law that was wild about this show and wanted a bunch of us to go try out to try to get on it.

sudo

"Survey says..."

Great show in it's original incarnation. Stumbled across an "updated" version a while back with some moron named Louie as host. Wretched.

I can't believe that new "Longest Yard" can be any good. Adam Sandler looks like such a dork in the previews that you can't imagine him as a pro football player. At least Burt Reynolds had actually played the game. This one just looks like a slapstick fest.

quote:
Originally posted by Pirate1974:

I can't believe that new "Longest Yard" can be any good. Adam Sandler looks like such a dork in the previews that you can't imagine him as a pro football player. At least Burt Reynolds had actually playeed the game. This one just looks like a slapstick fest.

Yup!

The game show was best in it's original incarnation. It was fresh, the perv host from Hogan's Heroes kissed all the women, it all clicked.

The second host wasn't bad either, really.He had a large family himself, and moved the show along well. Tragically, he committed suicide (!) which noone saw coming.

After a hoatus of several years the show returned with the comic Louie Anderson as host. I had just been working on a cartoon series he produced about his childhood called 'Life With Louie', and had met him a couple times. As a game show host , Louie was out of his element, and clearly did not have the personality or charisma for the job. They also monkeyed with the set and graphics, making the show look like a cheap version of the original.

Louie was dropped like a bad habit in the middle of a season and replaced by a more amiable fellow with a beard. He's not bad, but the show still looks like a weak version of the original.

quote:
In 1981, Richard took a liking to a 27 year old ****** **** contestant named Gretchen Johnson, and decided to ask her out. Richard and Gretchen are now married and have a daughter, Shanon Nichole. (He became a U.S. citizen in 1984.)

I always loved this show, even though they could have easily escaped in the hole under that bunk. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

HHfullcastbw2.jpg