The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ted, I may have to pay for this hair color but I still don't want to talk about AARP. Even if I am a member. :( And how fun that was when the invitation showed up in my mailbox when I turned 50. :nono5:

:)

So is there any outstanding links around this joint?

See y'all tomorrow.

Chatty, that pic of The Ghost and Mrs. Muir...god...that woman is absolutely knock dead gorgeous!

I tried to rent the movie this weekend but couldn't find it. :(

Hiway29,

Yes, its DisneyLAND and not DisneyWORLD. We're flying in to John Wayne airport this Sunday and staying until Friday. Which movie studios do you recommend? Now here's a question.. is this Nostalgia? Or imitation? Click HERE!

sudo (thinking about Chicago.. Summer 1964)

Sudo,

Thats a puzzler. :unsure:

This one is not necessarily music I enjoy but it's certainly nostalgic and iffin' Moon Girl has let Ted out of the doggie house I know he'll know the team. And for those who won't (like I wouldn't have prior to Ted) she joined him in 1940 in song and also became his 4th wife.

wav or mp3

Sudo's clip was a recent remake of the creepy "Last Kiss." It's one of about a half-dozen songs that immediately gets me to change the station. Call it "Waybrain" if you will, but I refuse to listen to someone blame God for a tragedy.

I recognize "Embraceable You," of course, but I don't recognize the singer.

George

Sudo's clip was a recent remake of the creepy "Last Kiss." It's one of about a half-dozen songs that immediately gets me to change the station. Call it "Waybrain" if you will, but I refuse to listen to someone blame God for a tragedy.

Excellent!

I recognize "Embraceable You," of course, but I don't recognize the singer.

:)

George

sudo, if you're asking me what movie studios I'd recommend to see while you're in LA, unfortunately your choices are limited unless there are tours .

Universal Studios however, has built a theme park around their tour. It's actually a pretty neat tour, taking you by iconic sets like the 'Psycho' house, 'Leave it to Beaver's' house, and the village sets from the Frankenstein movies. The rides aren't bad there either if you're not Disneylanded out by then.

I don't know how old your kids are, but 'Legoland' is pretty cool.

Here's a couple of Disneyland tips since I'm thinking of it. If you go on a weekday, you'll avoid some monstrous weekend crowds. Also the earlier you go the better. It opens at 8 I think and for a few hours the lines to the major rides are short. They also have a 'fastpass' service now that helps you avoid lines, but you can only use it for one ride at a time. You'll figure that out quick enough.

This is a vacation I've dreamed of since I was in elementary school. But somehow.. I'm not getting into it yet. Only the well-to-do in my neighborhood could go to Disneyland. There was no Disneyworld back then. The Western vacation consisted of taking off in the station wagon and seeing sights like the Grand Canyon, Carlsbad Caverns, Mount Rushmore and of course, Disneyland. My grandmother went flew out there in about 1962 to visit my uncle and family and brought back pictures I dreamed about. She had pictures of her and my cousins at Disneyland. And of course, I saw all the promos for the place on Sunday nights with Disney's Wonderful World Of Color.

And now I'm finally going. But somehow I'm not too excited. Maybe that will change. Click HERE!

sudo

Sudo,

Your vacation sounds delightful. I'm sure you'll take some pictures...hint hint...and make sure you have some cool tunes to listen to.

Having lived not far from Disney World and raising a son we've been there as well as Epcot center which is way cool for kids and young adults. Well the tour of the different countries as part of that I guess would be more adult, not sure. Either way it was great fun being able to be there and enjoy. The best haunted house was at Disney World because you looked down like you were floating upon scenes taking place with ghosts and figuring how good they were with visual effects...yup...it was good.

You'll have fun.

I dunno, Sudo.

I've done the Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, Universal Studios, Warner Brother's et al. Usually with a girlfriend or whatever, as my kids and my wife never cared to go. All things considered, I prefer the county fair or somesuch. I just don't care for the ultra-mediated environment, the "We know what you like and you WILL enjoy this, or we'll kill you!" sort of culture. It's just so artificial, a little bit goes an awful long ways with me.

Much more to my liking is the La Brea Tarpits (out on Wilshire Blvd, real easy to find), the Los Angeles Art Museum, and there used to be a car museum out in Oxnard "The Oxnard Cars of the Stars" that was outstanding (don't know if it's still there, though).

If you're still in the mood for touristy stuff, take a trip up to Beverly Hills (real near La Brea), or tour downtown Hollywood (it looked more like Beirut the last time I was there, but the old storefronts were still cool - probably want to stay clear of Sunset Blvd. though, especially if your kids are with), Grauman's Chinese Theatre, the "walk of fame" and all that. Then head out to the beaches, Long Beach, Venice, Pismo. Yeah, it can be tacky, but I enjoy a little bit of that stuff - a helluva lot more than another trip through "The Pirates of the Carribean" - groan...

oh... and be sure to take a drive on Mullholland Drive while you're out there... maybe go over to the Santa Monica pier... drive around and see some of the old stars homes (or at least Bela Lugosi's house if it's still standing)... go down to Hollywood Blvd and the Kinks song will come to life right before your very eyes... see Graumen's Chinese Theater (I think it's across the street or very near to the new Kodak Theater where they just had the Oscars)...

Just do all of the touristy stuff you thought about while growing up...

Also, maybe take a day and drive south for an hour and visit the San Diego Zoo... see all of the Navy ships in the harbor there (they usually have some battleships and a couple of carriers)... you can tour some of the boats as well...

It may or may not turn out to be what you thought it would be... but you won't regret it...

Edited by Tom Strange

I agree that seeing as much of the 'non touristy' stuff is where it's at. However, for someone who has never ridden on 'Pirates of the Caribbean' before, it can be quite an eye opener.

Santa Monica Pier is as much a tourist trap as Disneylans in it's way, but is worth seeing. There is an amazing art exhibit taking place right now near the pier called 'ashes and snow', that is worth a look.

Head south for a couple of miles and walk the Venice beach Boardwalk. It may be the single most melding of the most beautiful to most desperate people I've ever see. Perfect bodies working out at Muscle Beach, rich tourists taking it all in, and the saddest homeless population ever, amid a riot of t shirt shops, tattoo parlors, and Jodi Maronis-the best sausage sandwich on earth.

Head north and have dinner at Gladstones-a great seafood restaurant on the beach at Malibu.If it's stil daylight, turn up Topanga canyon and 'cut through' the canyon to the San Fernando valley befor picking up the 101 back south. Topanga canyon is lot in time, with strange little shops , theater productions, and a population that still thinks it's 1969.

There's a ton of stuff to fo beyond the theme parks, and I'll throw some more suggestions your way before you leave, but I still think Disneyland is well worth it. I first was there when i was 8 years old as part of a cross country trip, and to an 8 year old who only knew it from tv, it was amazing to me, and was as important as the grand Canyon and every other cool place we saw.